Are krispy kreme donuts REALLY crispy?

DudeMiester said:
I checked the ingrediant on one, and afaik by mass it's 1/3 sugar and 1/4 fat. While I know pastries can be made quite crispy with lard, I don't thing even then you use that much! That's probably why they are mush.

Thankfully though, Tim Hortens in moving into the USA from Canada, and Americans can taste some real doughnuts, lol. Funny thing, in order to serve the American "tastes", Tim Hortens had to turn their large coffee in Canada into a medium there, the medium into a small, and the small dissapeared, pushed out by the obesity of the American size large. However, while they are upsizing the drinks, they downsized the doughnuts into the so-called, "donut". Those southeners are a very odd bunch, but at least Tim Hortens (a famous Canadian NHLer btw) is making a killing! :LOL:
Go far enough south in the US and you hit the latin influence where you can get coffee in a cup the size of a shot glass.

The other reason I don't like Krispy Kreme is because they are the only doughnut store in Canada with the gall not to cook the doughnuts fresh in-house. They ship them around the place by truck. It's positively revolting! :mad:

crypto1300 said:
As we say in Hawaiian pidgeon english, they "broke dah mout" or "broke the mouth" (which means: they taste undecsribably great!!!))
When I was at Hersonissos, Crete, way back in the 80s, you could take the bus to a beach some ways off from the city, and there a man and boy walked up and down with a cart full of warm fried dough things filled with applesauce. They were spectacular! My mouth water just from the memory of biting into one of those things...

I also went on a touristy pig feast dinner thing with my family (and the other family that we went with), and as a dessert there was some other kind of fried dough balls (no filling this time) that were soaked in honey water that tasted undescribably good. The taste was so spectacularly divine I could sell my soul to the devil for a lifetime's supply of those things! :D

DudeMiester said:
The other reason I don't like Krispy Kreme is because they are the only doughnut store in Canada with the gall not to cook the doughnuts fresh in-house. They ship them around the place by truck. It's positively revolting! :mad:
:?: At every Krispy Kreme I've seen the draw is that they make the donuts twice daily and you can stop in to get them hot and fresh. Kids even like watching the donuts get made through a plexiglass wall. They do ship donuts to gas stations in the area so maybe you don't have a real Krispy Kreme shop, but rather a reseller like a gas station.

Well I guess they just go on the cheap in Canada. First Walmart, now doughnuts! What's next? Discount pineapples? Oh wait, the Asian stores do that...

Back