I cannot believe this!!

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
They did it! They actually did it!

A razor with FIVE blades!!! :LOL:

When the first 3-blade razor came out, it was fabulous, but people started making jokes about "imagine if they keep adding a blade, eventually we'll have bloody 8-blade razors!"...

And... They did it! I don't know whether to laugh or buy one... I mean... 3 was good, 4 was a bit funny... 5 is just ridiculous...

http://www.gillettefusion.com/us/

I wonder how much the boffins in the R&D departments at these companies actually earn!?! After yet another intense brainstorming session they decide... to add another blade! :rolleyes:

The other year I received one of those 4-blade beasties free as part of some kind of promotion. I used it once very carefully but was scared shitless at the time - if I'd sneezed when shaving it would have ripped half of my face off! In the end I had to throw it out as I was having nightmares about it coming for my jugular in the night... ;)

Two blades good, four blades bad. :devilish:

I bet they'll be using this new 'electricity' stuff soon to make electric razors next! It wouldn't suprise me!!!!1111

What an annoying website, and what an annoying vagina spewing marketing BS all over the place. Can't it just show the friggin razor without some female canine waving her bony legs around all over the place? Gah, how lame.

Actually it's supposed to be quite good, though very expensive for blades (as usual). The powered version is not supposed to be very good value, but the extra blade on the back is supposed to be very good for shaping beard/sideburns and doing that difficult bit under the nose. A lot of it is just marketing. They have to keep making new stuff in order to market it and use that to tempt you away from any competing product.

At this rate in a few more years they'll be selling us the version with 16 vibrating blades.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Actually it's supposed to be quite good, though very expensive for blades (as usual). The powered version is not supposed to be very good value, but the extra blade on the back is supposed to be very good for shaping beard/sideburns and doing that difficult bit under the nose. A lot of it is just marketing. They have to keep making new stuff in order to market it and use that to tempt you away from any competing product.

At this rate in a few more years they'll be selling us the version with 16 vibrating blades.

I was thinking.... Wouldn't then electric shavers be a better option? I mean they can't just keep adding blades, in the end an electric shaver is like LOTS of different blades, just constructed differently.

Guden Oden said:
What an annoying website, and what an annoying vagina spewing marketing BS all over the place. Can't it just show the friggin razor without some female canine waving her bony legs around all over the place? Gah, how lame.

No!!! Female showing legs == goodness :D

london-boy said:
I was thinking.... Wouldn't then electric shavers be a better option? I mean they can't just keep adding blades, in the end an electric shaver is like LOTS of different blades, just constructed differently.
In my experience, electric shavers generally don't give as good a shave in comparison to a wet shave, especially for everyday use, though they are convenient. The blades still wear out and can get clogged with use. Some of them are very bad at edges, so they need extra trimmers tacked on. having said that I've not properly tried the microscreen style of electric shavers, mostly the rotating head design.

The real secret to getting a good shave is in the preperation. Why can you get a better shave from barber who's using a single blade than one of the multiblade marketing gimmicks? Because the barber uses a bristle brush to lift and soften all the hairs, he's using a new sharp blade, he puts a steaming towel on your face afterwards, etc.

Even with an electric shaver, you'll get a better result if you've been standing in a steaming shower first, if you use a proper shaving oil, etc. Most of us just stagger up and scrape a three day old blade over our faces when we're still half asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one last night that had to make me laugh. Five blades on one side. . and a single blade on the other. Yes, that's right, they finally got the front side so big they had to put a single blade on the back side for tight spots.

I'm in beard mode at the moment anyway, but this spring I'll probably go back to my 3-blade Gillette.

geo said:
I saw one last night that had to make me laugh. Five blades on one side. . and a single blade on the other.
That would be the Gillette fusion from this very thread. I swear: their engineers must have read the piece from The Onion before designing that thing...
And I'm telling them to stick two more blades in there. I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it!

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Even with an electric shaver, you'll get a better result if you've been standing in a steaming shower first, if you use a proper shaving oil, etc. Most of us just stagger up and scrape a three day old blade over our faces when we're still half asleep.

Three day old is old?! I use three weeks old blades........ :LOL:

Zaphod said:
That would be the Gillette fusion from this very thread. I swear: their engineers must have read the piece from The Onion before designing that thing...

LOL, good find! :LOL:

I haven't had a new blade since last July.... still works fine. I use them until the little green pad thing at the top falls off.

...is that bad?

Alstrong said:
I haven't had a new blade since last July.... still works fine. I use them until the little green pad thing at the top falls off.

...is that bad?

The little green thing is meant to show you it's time for a new blade, though not when it falls off but when the green stuff is weared off and only white remains.

EDIT:
Though I prefer the older blue ones "normal" Mach3

My beard is like steel wire so if more than 2 days old the process is clippers then Electric Shaver then Blade. If I don't use a blade then I look like the actor guy off Team America: World Police.

Does that chick do anythign useful in the flash player add like take her clothes off? I hit the close button reflexivley.

IgnorancePersonified said:
Does that chick do anythign useful in the flash player add like take her clothes off? I hit the close button reflexivley.

She appears in your bath every time you use the product and wants to have sex with you, so go buy one NOW! ;)

Back