New demo!

Awesome Humus. I really enjoy the lightning effects and the surfaces are just cool to play with watching the shadows.

More fun then a lot of new games!

Bludd said:
Hehe, nice work. :)

It's easy to get stuck in between the stone pillars and the wood floor in the "red lava light" room (it's near the window). It's nice that one does not have health so rocket jumping is the best way to travel in this game. :)

Yeah, I know. I only check for "feet contact" by checking a ray from the player straight down. So you can get stuck hanging there without feet contact. You can rocket jump out of it though.

wireframe said:
I killed all the monsters (pwnt!!!) and now I cannot find my way to the next level. I also cannot run the timedemo.

:p

Nice demo Humus. Only thing missing is some really convincing water, bouncing balls, and a flamethrower. I find it especially considerate of you that you have made an FPS for "little people." (I feel about 10 cm tall in this) heh. Cool stuff, as usual. :smile:

Right. Back to rocketjumping and trying to find that door that will take me to boss level, no doubt. ;)

Well, I can tell you I don't think there will be a next level, because I think I spent more time designing that map than writing the engine. I needed a big map to prove the point, but it wasn't so easy. Actually, the midget thing is kind of related to that big map thing. I made my first room large, then as I built things out I made it proportional, so the whole map got very large. Actually, I scale it downto half in the engine. I guess I could have changed it to scale it down more, but then I would have to reposition all lights. I guess I could resize the player though.

Is it meant to only run on Ati cards? I get music but nothing else. Not even a window, only a button in the start bar. :(

Forceware 81.95 @ 6800 vanilla.

Guden Oden said:
Is it meant to only run on Ati cards? I get music but nothing else. Not even a window, only a button in the start bar.

I'm starting to think you've installed your drivers incorrectly... probably didn't follow the install instructions (disabling virus protection when installing is important too)... I don't think anyone else is experiencing your problem though.. There's always the possibility that your download of the drivers could have been corrupted (or modified from the original)...

Guden Oden said:
Is it meant to only run on Ati cards? I get music but nothing else. Not even a window, only a button in the start bar. :(

It should work on any of the GF 5 series and up.

Humus said:
It should work on any of the GF 5 series and up.

Confirmed. Runs fine on my FX5600 with 81.95 drivers.
One question: is there a difference in its graphical output when i disable "use clip planes" (this gives a >50% performance bosst on the FX)

Alstrong said:
Do I need Cat5.12? It doesn't seem to work with 5.10..

I'm not sure really. I didn't test with any older drivers, but from what I remember, I haven't had any problems with this demo earlier. The only thing I can remember is that I removed the pBuffer support that I had for a while. Now it's purely FBO. But IIRC the FBO stuff should be fine since at least 5.9.

Alstrong said:
When I try to run the exe, it creates the rpt file, but then nothing happens...

Errr, rtp file? You'll get Global.hmdl and World.bsp. Those will be written when you exit the first round. You don't need to run it twice, it should work on the first run too, but with the delay for the inital computations.

Deathlike2 said:
I'm starting to think you've installed your drivers incorrectly...
Thanks, but how is it possible to install a driver incorrectly? One removes the old driver, then runs the installer and keep clicking "next" until it's done, and then reboot again. Hardly rocket science.

disabling virus protection when installing is important too
Why? I see no reason why I'd have to do that, I've never needed to when installing anything else. Regardless, my virus killer has never given any warnings when installing any video driver (from ATi or NV, nor have I encountered issues installing other programs with the killer running, so I see no reason why it would silently interfere with the process.

There's always the possibility that your download of the drivers could have been corrupted (or modified from the original)...
Uh-huh. Hacked whilst file transfer in progress at 400+ kB/sec, sure. :) The installer uses CRCs and stuff, possibly even digital signatures. Those are pretty secure in any case, it'd be a one in a billion (if that much) case if there was a corrupted download that the installer didn't notice. Again, can't say I've ever had that happen to me.

Guden Oden said:
Why? I see no reason why I'd have to do that, I've never needed to when installing anything else. Regardless, my virus killer has never given any warnings when installing any video driver (from ATi or NV, nor have I encountered issues installing other programs with the killer running, so I see no reason why it would silently interfere with the process.

Well, it's not necessarily that.. I don't know exactly what virus scanners do to interfere with driver installations.. but these steps are documented in NVidia's manual/guide. I recall seeing reports of not being able to install drivers and finding out the virus scanner was at fault (the installation process wasn't flagged, but somehow prevented installing certain components). I'm not saying it is the most obvious thing, but sometimes even the smallest details are more significant than you think.

Back