Blu-ray expects to reveal launch details CES 2006

i was correcting "burn rate" with "transfer rate"...i do know bits from bytes

although they could well be talking about the burn rate...
the more i think about it, its most likely the burn rate...so just ignore me

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill said:
You can always use more storage.

Blu Ray> HDDVD because of storage.

Holograph>Blu Ray because of storage.

Eventually.

Timing wise, HVD might have a better chance at DVD like success than Blu-ray and HD-DVD due to timing IMO. DVD sales are way too healthy and HDTV penetration way too low to convince the masses to switch to BR nor HD-DVD.

I think it's too early for a successful format transition.

Shogmaster said:
Timing wise, HVD might have a better chance at DVD like success than Blu-ray and HD-DVD due to timing IMO. DVD sales are way too healthy and HDTV penetration way too low to convince the masses to switch to BR nor HD-DVD.

Totally agree.

jvd said:
So what if we'd have to wait to 2008 for holographic discs to be ready.
It be worth it .

The disc will probably have to come down to 1-2$ before it'll be viable as a replacement for BR/HDDVD and i just don't see that happen. But it would sure be nice if it did.

Bjorn said:
The disc will probably have to come down to 1-2$ before it'll be viable as a replacement for BR/HDDVD and i just don't see that happen. But it would sure be nice if it did.

How much is a 300 gig bluray disc or a 300 gig hd-dvd disc ?

gokickrocks said:
about $100...costs need to come down for it to be more viable to the ordinary consumer

That's how much it costs to buy not to manufacture...

It probably costs less than $5 to manufacture.

Shogmaster said:

So who is selling a HVD player? You do know people have to actually buy HVD players to buy HVD movies right? Oh that's another thing, who's selling HVD movies?

Oh I forgot nobody. So until we start hearing news that Paramount or somebody like that are putting their movies on HVD disc this arguement is NULL!!

Do you guys not understand that adoption rate does matter to these movie companies. There will millions of Blu-ray players sold before HVD players (If any are made) will even see the light of day.

Shogmaster said:

I agree with this to a point also.

HVD offers a huge leap in capacity and speed. Blu-Ray/HD-DVD comes across as such a minor upgrade by comparison. Of course getting the cost of HVD low enough to be a included in mainstream consumer electronics could be a big challenge to overcome.

typoEDR said:
I can see holographic storage having use in fields that require that amount of mass storage (audio/video/etc.), but Blu-Ray (or even HD-DVD) is sufficient for films and video games.

Streaming data for a video game from a HVD would be a lot faster.

So who is selling a HVD player? You do know people have to actually buy HVD players to buy HVD movies right? Oh that's another thing, who's selling HVD movies?

Oh I forgot nobody. So until we start hearing news that Paramount or somebody like that are putting their movies on HVD disc this arguement is NULL!!

Do you guys not understand that adoption rate does matter to these movie companies. There will millions of Blu-ray players sold before HVD players (If any are made) will even see the light of day.

Soory i see no bluray players on the market (that can play bluray spec movies) and I see no movies on the market .

How is this diffrent than hvd ?

Also whats going to happen to bluray when the price of the 300 gig discs is very low ?

You need what 4-6 layers for bluray to hit 300 gigs ? Can bluray recorders even write past the second layer ? If so how slow does it drop for writing

jvd said:
How is this diffrent than hvd ?

Come now, jvd, don't turn this into a semantics debate. Surely you don't actually need someone to spell out the differences between the situation with BR and HVD.

If I was a betting man I'd say HVD will not be used for anything but backup until BR consortium feels their format is done (and it'll likely be the last format for most things anyways) -- I could see next gen consoles using HVD, but it seems sort of pointless as BR capacity will probably be plenty for games for the next 10 years or more (since we're barely still using up a dvd, 50gb should last quite a while).

I think a better question is what market does HVD really fill? BR fills the movie/media market plenty, and has the backing of pretty much the entire industry in one way or another. How is HVD going to get mass adoption if there is no reason to get it outside of storage backups? (and how many people will use HVD for that when BR and possibly HD-DVD will most likely be widely adopted by then and offer more than enough space for most people).

Frankly, the idea that HVD will overtake BR/HD-DVD is completely absurd. HVD is a good idea, but its a bit too much too soon and has no real backing by any content companies (therefore leaving it to a storage backup format entirely, which I think you'll find a vast majority of people don't care about and certainly don't need 300+GB discs).

Bobbler said:
Frankly, the idea that HVD will overtake BR/HD-DVD is completely absurd. HVD is a good idea, but its a bit too much too soon and has no real backing by any content companies (therefore leaving it to a storage backup format entirely, which I think you'll find a vast majority of people don't care about and certainly don't need 300+GB discs).

This is the most important post that I've seen directed at the BD vs. HVD debate. jvd you are acting as if no company in the very near future will have Blu-ray players on the market. Do you assume that the PS3 will not come with a Blu-ray player?

HVD is expensive, too early, has no wide backing, and has no real use for today's media (i.e. 720p and 1080p movies). Maybe in the year 2016 HVD will pick up steam and be useable for tomorrow's HDTV's.

From the POV of movies, Blu-ray is offering 1080p. It's going to be a long time before that's standard and widespread in people's homes.

In other words - Blu-ray is more than enough for movies for the next long while.

For all the benfits of bluray over dvd . Hvd has those over bluray and it seems very obvious that it will only be 2-4 years after bluray hits that this will be viable for the mass market .

I'm sorry but 300 gig discs would allow us to put whole seasons on 1 disc with 1080p .

It will open up vast new forms of home production for movies .

IMagine a mini hvd camcorder taking video in 1080p 60fps and being able to put hours on the disc .

The leap beyond bluray is bigger than the leap bluray gives over dvd in my opinion .

Bluray may be ready for the mass market next year. But it will be a slow birth and its not alone . Hd-dvd is still on track for next year . While the two fight the superior format will be able to come to market .

Going further out to the end of the decade when new video game systems start to apear hvd will be a big deal as its transfer speeds are very good and it holds huge amounts of data .

I'm sorry but both bluray and hd-dvd are stop gaps and only exist for the companys that made them to make more money. If it was about giving consumers the best they would have waited another 2 or so years and start to roll out the vastly superior format hvd

Back