Equate what you expect from the revolution with a graphics card

Wait, level of technology or of graphics? Either way I think I have to assume higher than mid-X800's.

I think it will be based on the mid r580 cards . Perhaps clocked a little slower so it wont make as much heat and of course have power saving .

Ati's talk about physics makes me think that any extra power they have in the gpu wil lbe used by nintendo to offset the slower cpu (i'm expecting a dual core cpu )

I wonder if Nintendo will use that weird animated cube maps patent that we discussed maybe a year ago. If they do, wonder if their graphics chip will feature some kind of acceleration features to render/use such cube maps.

GwymWeepa said:
What power level do you expect?

I personally expect mid-range X800 level technology in the revolution.

I will personally beat up Yamauchi's pet dog if Hollywood is not a SM3.0 part.

I mean seriously yo, it's gonna be 2006 and stuff!

I see something with featureset between X1300Pro and X1600 but at a reasonable clockspeed for the casing like 300Mhz.

All things considered...

A new chip based directly on the "Flipper" GPU in the GameCube (they need to retain hardware compatibility) with a higher clock speed and/or more eDRAM.

Asking Nintendo to put a GPU like the Geforce/Radeon in Nintendo's next system would be suicidal due to the heat and power constraints of such a small form factor. Time will tell though...

The GameMaster said:
All things considered...

A new chip based directly on the "Flipper" GPU in the GameCube (they need to retain hardware compatibility) with a higher clock speed and/or more eDRAM.

Asking Nintendo to put a GPU like the Geforce/Radeon in Nintendo's next system would be suicidal due to the heat and power constraints of such a small form factor. Time will tell though...

Well it seems about the size of a tiny laptop...what's the most power that we can expect from today's laptops?

GwymWeepa said:
Well it seems about the size of a tiny laptop...what's the most power that we can expect from today's laptops?

GeForce Go 7800GTX... which is about the same chip as can be found in the PS3, but produced on .13nm process as opposed to the .09nm process that the PS3 version will use. That says a lot for how much power you can get into a small package. Personally I`m hoping for power somewhere around X1600.

Here is a link to anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2557

Last edited by a moderator:
OICAspork said:
GeForce Go 7800GTX... which is about the same chip as can be found in the PS3, but produced on .13nm process as opposed to the .09nm process that the PS3 version will use. That says a lot for how much power you can get into a small package. Personally I`m hoping for power somewhere around X1600.

GF Go 7800GTX won't be in anything but 10lbs behemouths like the XPS Dells. The typical GPUs in todays mid size to ultra portable laptops are built into Northbrige low end jobbies.

OICAspork said:
That says a lot for how much power you can get into a small package.
A laptop, even a small one, is still a lot bigger than what revolution will be. Some laps even use water cooling with the radiator being the top lid... It's a huge difference.

Possibility number 1:

ATI X1600 without AVIVO+1T-SRAM as eDRAM. 500Mhz

Possibility number 2:

GPU derivated from the ATI R520 architecture with 2 TMU and 8 Pixel Shader Units running at 600Mhz.

Guden Oden said:
A laptop, even a small one, is still a lot bigger than what revolution will be. Some laps even use water cooling with the radiator being the top lid... It's a huge difference.

It's a huge difference because a laptop has a HDD + battery + keyboard and it has to cool everything including the battery and HDD. ;)

Anyway the laptops you mentioned about using the top lid for cooling is rare ie there's only a couple of models out on the market that does that. Regardless it's more about marketing than an actual need for that type of cooling.

A GeForce Go 7800 GTX will work in the Revolution just fine as I've shown with even the desktop variant. In fact the Xenos only consumes about 30W anyway so there's no reason why Revolution cannot use something along the same processing capability as the other two consoles GPUs. The question is, will Nintendo go for it and maybe sell Revolutiion at $250.

if it comes out around fall of next year...

i'm expecting a 600Mhz "Flipper" variant... with 16 pipes and 16MB EDRAM

same as filpper.
revolution will be a gamecube with look redesigned(as revealed) plus a weird remote tv controller :) :) :)

Are you sure? How big is the base of a small laptop, or even a mid size one? (by base I mean everything but the screen).

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:

Are you sure? How big is the base of a small laptop, or even a mid size one? (by base I mean everything but the screen).

Those things can get quite thin. Considering there's a keyboard on top, those are some thin little things.

Back