Is there a reason why some of you prefer ATI and some Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
K.I.L.E.R said:
Ati cards are over $200 cheaper than an nVidia equivalent card.

:oops:

Not in the U.S. About even actually, tit for tat.

Anyhow, I have owned cards from both and I pretty much buy/suggest whatever is best in that price range. e.g. I bought a 6800GT last summer, yet last week I suggested to my friend, who had a $300 budget, to get an X800XL because he wanted VIVO and simply because IQ and current game support was more important to him. We discussed SM 3.0 and how it likely will be the minimum standard sooner or later, but the X800XL fit his needs well and he loves the cards.

The last 3 gens I went NV, ATI, NV. Next time I will probably go with ATI for a couple reasons--some being related to the last two gens. First reason is that I am not impressed with NV's AA, especially the hit the hit the 6800 series takes compared to the X800 series (recent BF2 benchmarks demonstrate this yet again). Not only is ATI's AA of higher quality IMO, but the cards perform better with AA overall. So even more AA can be applied. So unless this changes in the future, if ATI is performance competitive at the price range I am looking at (and the card is fast enough to do AA) that will be a major influence.

Another reason, like others, that I may be leaning toward ATI on my next purchase is the entire NV30 deal. Meh. No use getting into it, but it left a sour taste. Not saying ATI is perfect, buit I must say I like their attitude. Now that did not prevent me from buying the NV40 because I felt it was the best option at the time of purchase for me (guaranteed Ultra speeds at GT cost, SM 3.0) but it did cross my mind. I was not too impressed when Jen Hsun was slamming the R420 for having old technology in it before the launch either. I did not find that very professional, and in the end it seems ATI's chips once again have performs admirably... and about those advanced features...

...I also have gotten the impression that NV's SM 3.0 may not be quite as good as it should be. We will have to wait and see, so far it is not impressive. Also my 6800GT (basically OCed to an Ultra... SM 3.0, performance, and OCing where the top 3 reasons I got the card) cannot perform certain features, like HDR, at good framerates. Basically I get the feeling the NV40 is a typical NV release: 1st release is feature rich but performance poor in those areas, 2nd release performs well with the feartures enabled. I would love to be proven wrong, but SM 3.0 in FarCry and SC:CT did not impress me much. Neither has the HDR implimentations we have seen.

But I expect NV to continue to turn out great products. And, if like the NV40, they have the best card at the time in my price range (and the 6800GT was a better buy imo than the X800Pro) I will recommend that.

I don't reall lean much toward one or the other, but if I had to go on a gut feeling I say ATI. Mainly because I am REALLY impressed with Xenos/R500. I think ATI is finally taking some steps toward a share in feature leadership and I like seeing that there are two viable competitors who have an equal influence on a market. NV is very close with developers/publishers (a good reason to buy their stuff), but it seems over the last 3 years ATI has really made the GPU market an even 2 car race. And looking forward I think Unified Shaders is just a great idea, so I tip my hate to ATI.

I'll still recommend a 6600GT for anyone looking for a low-end card (the alternative for those with more money being the X800XL) but I decided I wasn't going to buy another nVidia graphics card until they sorted their act out after the thing with the Kyro 2 PDF (one of which I do still own) and so far they've failed to change noticably. It's the only way I have of expressing my disapproval of their marketing strategies.

Up until the 9700 Pro I was an nVidia customer (and a 3Dfx one before that). It really boils down to what is better at any given time; as long as ATI keeps putting out better cards, I will buy ATI. I like its image quality (although the difference between the two competitors in their latest offerings is pretty much non-existent most of the times) and its AA better than the competition, so I prefer to stick to ATI in my rigs. Same as I prefer nVidia for my motherboard chipsets really.

In the past when it was nvidia and 3dfx I preferred 3dfx, now I prefer ATI. Reason primarily being is nvidia's apparent lack of ethics in it's management. I observed this in the past when I first became interested in this field and tbh, I haven't seen any change from nvidia in that respect. I would rather not fund a company that is willing to lie, cheat and more or less steal it's customer's money only to further it's profits.

As far as actual hardware, I have no bias; merely whichever is designed best. When nvidia or any company creates a good product I am not unwilling to admit so, however when another company creates an equal or better product, such as ATI, I prefer to go that route.

ANova said:
I would rather not fund a company that is willing to lie, cheat and more or less steal it's customer's money only to further it's profits.

You mean just like EVERY single company on this planet does? Than you wouldn't be buying anything at all, I guess.

i got my radeon 8500 and 9600pros because they were the best price/performance at the time (in my budget). i switched to the 6600gt because ati had nothing to offer in my budget at the time. im glad i did. i really prefer nvidias drivers.

_xxx_ said:
ANova said:
I would rather not fund a company that is willing to lie, cheat and more or less steal it's customer's money only to further it's profits.

You mean just like EVERY single company on this planet does? Than you wouldn't be buying anything at all, I guess.

No, every company does not; many do, but not every. I'd rather choose the lesser of two evils at any rate.

ATi
1) better video support (better scalers, deinterlacing etc.)
2) 3D - better AA (performance/quality balance, innovations)
3) 3D - more stable framerate
4) lower power consumption, more silent coolers, smaller cards
5) better drivers (don't kick me :) ). nVidia supports only current HW generation. I'm preparing a test of older cards (+-1999/2000), I'm using latest drivers and only with nVidia drivers I was unable to run all the tests and games :(
6) ATi didn't kill 3Dfx
7) ugly nV marketing:
1998: SLI is bad - 2005: SLI is good
1999: AFR is bad - 2005: AFR is good
2000: "you can use FSAA even with TNT" -> switched off after 3Dfx crashed
documents about Kyro, X800
copying technologies (multitexturing, FSAA, some multiprocessing ideas)
purevideo works with GF6800... etc.
8.) Technologies on paper (TNT 2048*2048*32bit textures+rendering, FSAA on TNT/GF256, TL of GF256 a GF2MX, SM2.0 of GF-FX, SM3.0 of GF6)
9) ATi: traditionally excellent quality of analog output and 2D speed
10) ATi (simmilar to 3Dfx): robust implementation of new technologies (ATi doesn't implement technologies until they have solution, which is enough powerful to use them)

ATI ATM, because of I.Q....plain and simple. I think speed at this point is a non issue, as both ATI & nV are so close to each other that it doesn't really matter anymore. I don't go for "future" features, as by the time those features are available I will have a next gen card that has them!

no-X said:
ATi
5) better drivers (don't kick me :) ). nVidia supports only current HW generation. I'm preparing a test of older cards (+-1999/2000), I'm using latest drivers and only with nVidia drivers I was unable to run all the tests and games :(
6) ATi didn't kill 3Dfx
7) ugly nV marketing:
8.) Technologies on paper (TNT 2048*2048*32bit textures+rendering, FSAA on TNT/GF256, TL of GF256 a GF2MX, SM2.0 of GF-FX, SM3.0 of GF6)
10) ATi (simmilar to 3Dfx): robust implementation of new technologies (ATi doesn't implement technologies until they have solution, which is enough powerful to use them)

Quoted for great justice. I tip my hat to you, that's pretty much my thoughts too...

I don't hate Nv, I used their video cards all the way up to the fx5200, then jumped ship, never looked back. I've used pretty much every card they've released so far in other systems (my brothers, friends and such) but was just never really impressed by anything..(drivers, size, heat, performance...AA for that matter).

Since I made the switch to ATi, i've encountered negligible amount of videocard-related crashes, as opposed to my tnt2/gf2/fx..

On closing, I couldn't get enough of the GF2 GTS, utterly awesome card, and the 40 series detonators were the best thing Nv had...then came the 50's :(

no-X said:
ATi
6) ATi didn't kill 3Dfx
7) ugly nV marketing:

Except for better AA and killing 3dfx, all your points are just meaningless PERSONAL opinion without any sense.

Technologies on paper? Articles about XY? Copying technologies? Better drivers? Robust implementations of new technologies (LOL!)? "More stable framerate", err, hello?

Lower power consumption, more silent coolers, smaller cards - in your dreamland for sure. They both have smaller AND bigger cards, consume lots of power and have the same level of noise AND about 5 different cooling solutions each.

Get real, man.

_xxx_: The question was - why do you prefer... And I'm answering. I don't force my list to you. Those are MY reasons ;-)

Nowadays I am leaning towards Nvidia because they have more agressive pricing policy. Which I like. ATI always try to avoid price wars with Nvidia and end up being slightly more expensive. This is the trend I see for the last couple of years. It didn't hurt ATI at NV3x times because of poor Nvidia parts but with NV40 Nvidia took back everything they lost to the R300. Now they are more or less even ATI being slightly more greedy because their pricing policy. (Although this may be well because of their problems with the chip yields)

Kombatant said:
Up until the 9700 Pro I was an nVidia customer (and a 3Dfx one before that). It really boils down to what is better at any given time; as long as ATI keeps putting out better cards, I will buy ATI. I like its image quality (although the difference between the two competitors in their latest offerings is pretty much non-existent most of the times) and its AA better than the competition, so I prefer to stick to ATI in my rigs. Same as I prefer nVidia for my motherboard chipsets really.

I love nvidia/nvidia combo for mobo&gfx but somehow I had to buy ATI cards as they were too good at the time to miss, so now I have 2 Nvidia and 1 ATI card in my systems at home, ATI is the high end part at the moment...

Anyhow the easines of OS transition and driver compatibility is what makes me very happy with having Nvidia stuff inside, but on the other hand the R9800 (that I now gave away) and X850 were just superior products (IMO of course) at the moment when I bought them, so overall ATI has to offer a little more for me to buy it and well they do from time to time :)

bloodbob said:
Both companies are evil corperations trying to destroy our weed and LSD so both should be hated!! That and there are fanboi's who have some warped view of the universe that believe their company can do no wrong.

you played too much gta:sa.. which runs a LOT better on ati hardware ;)

neliz said:
bloodbob said:
Both companies are evil corperations trying to destroy our weed and LSD so both should be hated!! That and there are fanboi's who have some warped view of the universe that believe their company can do no wrong.

you played too much gta:sa.. which runs a LOT better on ati hardware ;)

But as long as we have enough weed and LSD, who cares? ;)

_xxx_ said:
But as long as we have enough weed and LSD, who cares? ;)

although they don't sell 6800ultra's in abundance here in holland, we do have enough of the other green stuff.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back