Size of PS3 Controller

Fafalada said:
Just on the whole topic of "big hands", this is a pretty good estimate of how it compares with size of DS2.
ps3controllerDS22.jpg
What do you base the scaling on? The buttons aren't the same size. Except the Select and Start buttons. Are these taken as the same between devices?

For those who have complained about the smallness os DS2, this is bad news!

Please, you two are just as bad as each other. One will bash anything Sony related till he dies, the other will bring in Sony or the bloody Killzone demo in every single discussion sometimes for no reason.

Now calm down or you'll get this thread loicked too.

I just took up for Kameo in another thread a few minutes ago. I praised MS for putting in a HDD standard, and have done the same for their Xbox Live. What has PC-Engine said good about Sony?

On topic:
ps3controllerDS22.jpg

And looking at this picture gives an even better understanding with what we will have. The size to me doesn't seem to be an issue. Its just the boomerang sticks. I will have to hold it before I can rush to judgement. Also the button seem kinda turned it more. Not sure if this will cramp up the hands more or not. :?

Shifty Geezer said:
For those who have complained about the smallness os DS2, this is bad news!

No kidding, I really hope SCE reconsider that controller. Buttons are too small. I don't mind the shape as much, but it need to be bigger compare to what that picture is suggesting. And why in the world haven't they change the d-pad, if they change everything else.

Come to think about it those analog sticks do look kinda small. :? I agree they do need to make the buttons and analog sticks bigger. Oh did I just knock Sony? :oops:

Should be heavier with the batteries for Bluetooth operation.

Question is, will it have the vibration given the suit?

No need to get sarcastic, you know very well what i mean.

You have to understand I hate it when people sometime consider the way I think is "Sony only". Its not and I have critized them when need be.

And wco81 I remember reading somewhere that Sony has changed the way that this controller will vibrate. Its supposed to give a more wider range of vibration or something. I wish I had the quote, so I don't have proof.

Having seen it in real life, I don't think that comparison picture is entirely correct. The PS3 controller is slightly bigger than pictured there, but it's buttons and analog sticks are smaller than on the DS2.

The controller looks fine . Its just way to small , my hands will cramp up like no ones busniess . Although knowing i can fight crime as batman makes it nicer ;)

(and before you sony fans jump on me the part about crime fighting was a joke )

No need to jump; that controller makes me ill. :? I don't mind the generic look (clear buttons on silver case--though of course there will be other options too), but the design would just seem to come at the expense of comfort and convenience without actually adding anything you'd usually want by extending the handles, like grip.

For Eru's sake, I hope that's not the final design.

I don't mind the smaller buttons or even smaller analog sticks,
especially the buttons they might even be better than the larger DS2 buttons as I've witnessed in the PSP design.
They're closer together too, which makes button combos easier to execute when you can more easily press several buttons at the same time.
In PSP, the buttons do feel better to me, and even more precise, faster to use, and I have average size male hands.
I really like the PSP button sizes and placement better than DS2 and if they carry it over to the PS3 controller design, I'll be happy.

But if the handles are too small that would likely be a problem. They should make the boomerangs longer (and thicker?) to rest better in your palms, even if it would look yet more oddier :)

Now we know the size of the controller, it sure seems that PS3 case is not very big at all. 12 to 14 inches high at most?

I don't like how the L and R buttons are so close together. On the DS2 they were really "left and right" buttons, now they're more in the center which seems like it would be uncomfortable to use. Atleast is doesn't have a big battery pack on the back of it like the X360 controller. I think I might get a third party controller for my PS3 though, that thing is ridiculous...

are there two shoulder buttons on each side ? cause it doesn't look thick enought by the way the guy is holding it .

Word is a controller from back in the PS1 days similar to the PS3's in looks/appearence was hailed as one of the most comfortable ever - could be that there's more to this than would seem obvious at first. I personally could see that controller being quite comfortable, but of course I could also see it being useless. Hard to know until I hold it.

Here's a shot of this ancient beast:

alpspad.jpg

The buttons aren't the same size
They aren't supposed to be - the PS3 controller buttons are sized around the same as those on PSP, as is the size of analog sticks.
I'm not saying pic is 100% accurate in that regard, but since it was scaled by start/select buttons it should be reasonably close.

V3 said:
And why in the world haven't they change the d-pad, if they change everything else.
D-pad on prototype was pretty obviously just visual concept - buttons were actually sticking out at largely different heights due to curvature of the surface. I suspect this is similar to how early PSP prototypes were artist impressions that changed in final unit for practical considerations.

jvd said:
are there two shoulder buttons on each side ?
There are, but like with most buttons on the controller they looked more like visual impression then a real implementation. So I wouldn't be surprised if they moved around/changed in size, even if the controller shape stays.

Funny you posted that xbdestroya.

The other day I was going through an old EGM issue(August '97 I think it was, had StarWars on the cover) and it had a full page ad for that controller in it.

Well now that IS wild! :)

I actually owe the credit to a poster on another forum for pointing this thing out to me. He's actually used it and claimed it was the best controller he's ever used, so after that I started viewing the PS3 controller a little differently. Anyway time will tell. But it stands to reason that Sony wouldn't have deviated from the DS2 standard at all without some faith in the result of said deviation...

xbdestroya said:
Word is a controller from back in the PS1 days similar to the PS3's in looks/appearence was hailed as one of the most comfortable ever - could be that there's more to this than would seem obvious at first. I personally could see that controller being quite comfortable, but of course I could also see it being useless. Hard to know until I hold it.

Here's a shot of this ancient beast:

alpspad.jpg

Best controller I have ever used period (from a comfort standpoint).

But take note.... it was huge. :oops:

The Xbox Duke controller is small compared to it, but I loved the boomerang shape since it is very comfortable.

In fact before this came out I found that by extending my PS1 controllers by adhering some tubing on the end, I gained a similar level of comfort.

That is why I jumped at this and never looked back.

sadly the Next Gen was upon us and these never made the transition to PS2. :(

BTW:I believe the brand name was Alps Interactive.

It had a vented rubber/plastic under grip and the D-pad was like butter. :)

But it stands to reason that Sony wouldn't have deviated from the DS2 standard at all without some faith in the result of said deviation...

I tell myself that everyday before I go to sleep. :) Hopefully it will come true.

Back