Nintendo: Innovation is dying/FREE old Games

Ty said:
jvd said:
We already talked about this TY . There are alot of things i'm sure that people give credit where credit is not due , but there are others where credit is due .

Exactly, which is why I didn't just refer to you - I said both/any sides.
Yes i know it wasn't at me , i was pointing out that we already made a pretty good list in another thread . Natoma was keeping track of it

I'm getting sick of hearing the word "milk" being tied to titles that gamers constantly ask for. Most publishers would love to have a franchise that sells in the millions with just about every release. Titles that have a history of being great, continue on from one gen to next.

Its hard as a gamer to not want to see Mario in a game that comes close to CG.

I think Iwata's words or Miyamoto's are centered on the fact the gaming industry is their main source of income. Japanese gaming market is getting smaller every gen. We saw major publishers that were around since the NES and Master system close up shot. Some have been forced to merge with others to stay afloat. More aquisition have come this gen.

What are the biggest selling titles and how many exsist?

Halo1/2
GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Madden series
NFS Underground

Thousands of titles developed and published.

The difference that I see between the movie industry and gaming is movie studios have three sources of income coming from their films. First there's the box office, then dvd sales and rentals. And I almost for got cable or satellite

Kolgar said:
What's all this fascination with innovation?

More important, I think, is implementation. People bust Sony's chops because they "steal" other companies' ideas. While this may be true to some extent, no one can dispute that they are masters of assembling those ideas and implementing them in a way that's made the company and its products very successful.

You know, that's Microsoft's method of business, too. Funny that. I would say Microsoft have a better implementation of other people's ideas more frequently and better done than Sony, too. For a first gen console machine to "introduce" (meaning modify an existing process such as online play in a better way) so many great features, the XBox did well.

That's excluding the OS market, too.

paranoia:

Agreed. Microsoft's freshman effort was very respectable. The sophomore effort is shaping up to be even better.

Perhaps Sony and Microsoft's ability to implement is a good part of the reason they're supplanting pure "video game" companies in this market. They're more savvy, more experienced, and they take a "big picture" approach to everything they do.

Kolgar said:
Perhaps Sony and Microsoft's ability to implement is a good part of the reason they're supplanting pure "video game" companies in this market. They're more savvy, more experienced, and they take a "big picture" approach to everything they do.

Unfortunately MS have lost billions of dollars doing it while SONY is struggling with PSP trying to push it as a higher priced multimedia device. ;)

PC-Engine said:
Kolgar said:

Unfortunately MS have lost billions of dollars doing it while SONY is struggling with PSP trying to push it as a higher priced multimedia device. ;)

Define struggling.

If we consider its price and the lack of games available for it, i'd say it's doing pretty well so far.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Kolgar said:

Define struggling.

If we consider its price and the lack of games available for it, i'd say it's doing pretty well so far.

London Boy is correct...the only game that i've had my eye on is Mercury and Hot Shot Golf for the PSP. There is truly a lack of games for the PSP but as LB said even with that problem they've done pretty good.

Also...I can't wait till the Emulators start rolling in...thats what i'm truly waiting for!

According to this article Famitsu have a feature on Revolution which says the system will have 221 NES/SNES/N64 games available for download at launch (the article includes scans from Famitsu):

NES

1. 10-Yard Fight
2. Anticipation
3. Balloon Fight
4. Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
5. Baseball
6. Clu Clu Land
7. Dance Aerobics (may require dance pad, I halfway wanted to put this in questioned)
8. Devil World
9. Doki Doki Panic
10. Donkey Kong
11. Donkey Kong 3
12. Donkey Kong Classics
13. Donkey Kong Jr.
14. Donkey Kong Jr. Math
15. Dr. Mario
16. Dragon Warrior
17. Duck Hunt
18. Excitebike
19. Famicom Wars
20. Final Fantasy
21. Fire Emblem Gaiden
22. Fire Emblem: Ankokuryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi
23. Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy
24. Golf
25. Gum Shoe
26. Gyromite
27. Hogan's Alley
28. Ice Climber
29. Ice Hockey
30. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Taito)
31. Kid Icarus
32. Kirby's Adventure
33. Kung Fu
34. Mach Rider
35. Mario Bros.
36. Mario Time Machine
37. Mario is Missing!
38. Mario:Fun with Letters
39. Mario:Fun with Numbers
40. Metroid
41. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
42. Mother (Earthbound)
43. NES Open Golf
44. Nintendo World Cup
45. Nuts & Milk
46. Pin-Bot
47. Pinball
48. Play Action Football
49. Popeye
50. Pro Wrestling
51. Punch-Out!!
52. R.C. Pro-Am
53. Rad Racer
54. Rad Racer 2
55. Short Order/Eggsplode
56. Slalom
57. Snake Rattle & Roll
58. Soccer
59. Stack Up
60. Star Tropics
61. Super Mario Bros.
62. Super Mario Bros. 2
63. Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
64. Super Mario Bros. 3
65. Super Spike V'Ball/World Cup Soccer
66. Super Team Games
67. Tennis
68. Tetris
69. Tetris 2
70. The Legend of Zelda
71. To The Earth
72. Track meet
73. Urban Champion
74. Volleyball
75. Wario's Woods
76. Wild Gunman
77. World Class Track Meet
78. World Cup Soccer
79. Wrecking Crew
80. Yoshi (Mario & Yoshi)
81. Yoshi's Cookie
82. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
83. Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics II

Super NES

84. Derby Stallion 98 (NP)
85. Donkey Kong Country
86. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
87. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
88. EarthBound
89. F-Zero
90. FX Fighter
91. Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo
92. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
93. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
94. Hyper V-Ball
95. Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
96. Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
97. Killer Instinct
98. Kirby Super Star
99. Kirby's Avalanche
100. Kirby's Dream Course
101. Kirby's Dream Land 3
102. Kirby's Ghost Trap
103. Legend (some say the movie inspired Zelda but the timing is off, sorry im a history buff)
104. Mario Paint
105. Mario and Wario
106. Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun
107. Mario's Super Picross
108. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge
109. NCAA Basketball
110. NHL Stanley Cup
111. Panel de Pon
112. Picross NP Vol. 8
113. PilotWings
114. Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing
115. Sound Fantasy
116. Star Fox
117. Stunt Race FX
118. Super Famicom Wars
119. Super Mario Kart
120. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
121. Super Mario World
122. Super Metroid
123. Super Punch-Out!!
124. Super Scope 6
125. Super Soccer
126. Super Soccer 2
127. Super Tennis
128. Tetris & Dr. Mario
129. Tetris Attack
130. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
131. Tinstar
132. Uniracers (Unirally, the game sucked bad you raced unicycles with no rider)
133. Winter Gold (FX Skiing)
134. World League Baseball
135. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
136. Yoshi's Safari

Nintendo 64

137. 1080° Snowboarding (a personal fave)
138. Animal Forest (Animal Crossing for you Americans)
139. Banjo-Kazooie
140. Banjo-Tooie
141. Blast Corps
142. Bomberman 64
143. Bomberman Hero
144. Buggie Boogie
145. Cabbage
146. Catroots
147. Climber
148. Command & Conquer
149. Creator
150. Cruis'n USA
151. Cruis'n World
152. Cu-On-Pa
153. Custom Robo
154. Custom Robo V2
155. DD Sequencer
156. Dezaemon DD
157. Diddy Kong Racing (w00t)
158. Donkey Kong 64
159. Doubutsu Banchou
160. Dr. Mario 64
161. Echo-Delta
162. Emperor of the Jungle
163. Excitebike 64
164. F-Zero X
165. Gendai Dai-Senryaku: Ultimate War
166. GoldenEye 007
167. Hey You, Pikachu!
168. Jack and the Beanstalk
169. Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
170. Killer Instinct Gold
171. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
172. Kirby's Air Ride
173. Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
174. Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr
175. Mario Golf
176. Mario Kart 64
177. Mario Party
178. Mario Party 2
179. Mario Party 3
180. Mario Tennis 64
181. Mickey's Speedway USA
182. Mini Racers
183. Mischief Makers
184. Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 2
185. NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant
186. Paper Mario
187. Perfect Dark
188. Pilotwings 64
189. Pokemon Puzzle League
190. Pokemon Snap
191. Pokemon Stadium
192. Pokemon Stadium 2
193. Pokemon Stadium: Gold, Silver, Crystal Version
194. Ridge Racer 64
195. Riqa
196. Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing
197. Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth
198. Star Fox 64
199. Star Wars Episode I: Racer
200. Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
201. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
202. StarCraft 64
203. Super Mario 64
204. Super Smash Bros.
205. Tetrisphere
206. The Legend of Zelda DD (Ura Zelda) (Master Quest in America)
207. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
208. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
209. The New Tetris
210. Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics
211. Wall Street DD
212. Wave Race 64
213. Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
214. Yoshi's Story

Satteleview games

215. BS F-Zero 2 Grand Prix
216. BS Special Tee Shot
217. BS Zelda

64 DD games

218. SimCity 64
219. F-Zero X Expansion Kit
220. Kyojin no Doshin 1 (Doshin the Giant)
221. Mario Artist: Communication Kit,Paint Studio,Polygon Studio, Sound Studio, Talent Studio

WTF is wrong with HTML on this forum? I've unticked "disable HTML" and it still doesn't work.

WOW!!!!! When the Revolution comes out, i'm going to get a blast from the past......

Donkey Kong
Mario
Zelda

Thats the triple threat for me, I can't wait to revisit those games. I guess when they mean Nintendo games they ment it, I did see Final Fantasy in there...whats the about? I guess as time goes on more games (from different companies will be added to the long list of games). I also wonder how these games will look on a big TV...its going to be funny hooking the Revolution up to my 55" HDTV and playing Super Mario Brothers :oops:

OMG, I just noticed Super Tennis on the list! :D.. What if Revolution allows multiplayer NES/SNES/N64 games to be played online?!

No doubt about it, being able to download all the past Nintendo games is a neat idea, and one that many will find very attractive.

There's been some discussion on other boards as to whether or not these games will all be free downloads. Will they? Such a deal would be hard to pass up indeed, but why would Nintendo do this when they could make huge - absolutely gargantuan - profits by charging a nominal fee for each?

In any case, I like this strategy for Nintendo. Makes excellent use of their rich history, and is a boon for gamers who grew up loving their games.

Nexiss said:
What if Revolution allows multiplayer NES/SNES/N64 games to play played online?!
That would be awesome.

Now that would be a killer online feature. Not for everyone, but I know a lot of people who enjoy some of those older games. Some of them are just great great games, even by todays standards.

If they do something like that I can see Rev appealing to new gamers, but also even if the status quo stayed the same I could see a lot of PS3 and Xbox gamers picking up a Rev to compliment their main system. I already think that will happen, but getting to play some of the classics online would just be too much fun to pass up!

Teasy said:
According to this article Famitsu have a feature on Revolution which says the system will have 221 NES/SNES/N64 games available for download at launch (the article includes scans from Famitsu):

NES

17. Duck Hunt

WTF is wrong with HTML on this forum? I've unticked "disable HTML" and it still doesn't work.

YEY! We're getting a new version of phaser gun (wireless)?!? :oops: :LOL: I'm sold to this console-- being able to play the games again and more from SNES and N64 era! Very cool indeed. 8)

Oh man..I didn't even consider the Online implimentation.... :eek: . I remember playing Super Contra with my friend with one of the SNES emulators......its a little better being able to have the friend right next to you and share in the experience but at the same time it just rocked so hard. I'm most definatley get Revolution if they do this...

Aw man, no Quest 64?

Seriously though, that is one kick ass list of games. I just wish it had some of the classic Squaresoft SNES RPGs like FF V and VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana 1 and 2, Live a Live, Romancing Saga 1-3, etc.

Shark Sandwich said:
Aw man, no Quest 64?

Seriously though, that is one kick ass list of games. I just wish it had some of the classic Squaresoft SNES RPGs like FF V and VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana 1 and 2, Live a Live, Romancing Saga 1-3, etc.

Yeah...that would be HUGE if they get those titles. I believe that in time they will be able to allow these games to be downloaded....but for a fee. Those are IPs of Squaresoft so of course Nintendo can't allow them to be downloaded without the consent of Square. I see these games carrying a fee because Square is going to make a killing from people wanting to revisit all those timeless classics.

BlueTsunami said:
Yeah...that would be HUGE if they get those titles. I believe that in time they will be able to allow these games to be downloaded....but for a fee. Those are IPs of Squaresoft so of course Nintendo can't allow them to be downloaded without the consent of Square. I see these games carrying a fee because Square is going to make a killing from people wanting to revisit all those timeless classics.

I sure hope they become available, free or otherwise. The idea of chilling out on a couch with some friends and a few beers, playing 3 player Secret of Mana (or a translated Seiken Densetsu 3. . .), is making me drool already.

If this huge library is free, how the hell do Nin expect to get gamers to pay money for *new* games which may or may not be better than the best of their library historically?

Still, if this is true, more power to me, the gamer :]

Back