DOA4 screens

OH!!! I get it now!!! This is supposed to be on Xbox2?

:oops:

Well, here i was, thinking this was running on Xbox, and being rather impressed in fact... But now... I mean come on, even if they want the Barbie look, they could do so much better. This is Xbox kind of material with AA and DOF applied, not next gen material.

Brimstone said:
Not too excited by DOA4. Just not my cup of tea. I'm more of a Virtua Fighter man.

Ah aaa aman after my own heart!

I'm not disappointed with these screens cause they are "better" than whats out now...but im just feelinglike xbox pushed to its max plus a few tricks could do this... not as easily or as well but do it none the less...

I think most people here needs a reality check about expectations or the next half-decade *may* be a depressing one.

dead-or-alive-ultimate-20041201042543639.jpg

DOA ultimate...

Acert93 said:
Also the paradigm seems to have shifted from programmers to designers. Good artists do not just grow on trees.
You don't need artists to implement proper shadows. Static shadow maps in a next-gen game? You have got to be kidding me.

passby said:
I think most people here needs a reality about expectations or the next half-decade *may* be a depressing one.

What, no 2001 expectations then? ;)

I think this looks really good, we can expect a nice depth of field, high resolution textures, even more detailed characters and enviroments, even more interactive/breakable things on the levels, 3D crowds even?

Evil_Cloud said:
passby said:
I think most people here needs a reality about expectations or the next half-decade *may* be a depressing one.

What, no 2001 expectations then? ;)

I think this looks really good, we can expect a nice depth of field, high resolution textures, even more detailed characters and enviroments, even more interactive/breakable things on the levels, 3D crowds even?

Allmost every this gen fighting game had 3D crowds, nevertheless those pictures look stunning if you ask me.

cybamerc said:
Acert93 said:
Also the paradigm seems to have shifted from programmers to designers. Good artists do not just grow on trees.
You don't need artists to implement proper shadows. Static shadow maps in a next-gen game? You have got to be kidding me.

1. What does that have to do with a paradigm change? The technical limitations of this title do not mean this is not true. There are many variables that affect your criticism like...

2. Shadows and lighting are the biggest hurdle developers face overall. Most of these developers are trying to get titles out for launch and have spent the last 5 years working with out of date consoles. They are not going to include every bell and whistle out of the gate--especially if they have not been developing these tools over the last 5 years. That is one advantage PC developers have. At least PC developers have actively been developing SM 2.0 and 3.0 titles.

You cannot have everything at launch. Titles are usually pretty weak in general. The way I look at these screens:

+ Detailed models (Barbie shaders, decent poly count, detailed textures)
+ Nice AA
+ DOF
+ Colorful, bright, and not washed out
+ Appear to have moving hair/clothing
+ Clean/Clear/Crisp rendering
+ Higher resolution

There are a lot of negatives (could have more detail, better lighting and shadowing, more hair, more flowing clothing, better detail in the faces, more realistic backgrounds, more realistic rendering quality). But in the end it is what I would expect from a first gen fighter.

Sadly, to me the game looks like an upgrade of their current engine/game, but with some noticable improvements. Is it leaps and bounds better? No, but I am not sure we should expect that--especially from first gen titles.

/me thinks back to the PS2/Xbox/GCN launch and how UNIMPRESSIVE they were.

Since this game seems to show animated clothing and hair I will wait to judge it until we see it in motion. If it is choppy and static crucify it by all means. But if it is as smooth as butter and the art serves the animation well, then I think it is a fair tradeoff.

Having not played DOA, only knowing the rumors, the games famous for its errrr.... uhhmm... "physics". In that regards you would need to see it in motion ;)

Brimstone said:
It looks as though the the clothes on certain characters are "flowing" realisticly. It will probably more impressive in motion, although the detail in some of the shots is quite high in others it looks more bland.

Realistically, if you punch the girls bad enough so the clothes could get misaligned... I mean you could punch them out of their .. shoes.. for example :LOL:

Acert93 said:
You cannot have everything at launch. Titles are usually pretty weak in general. The way I look at these screens:

Is it leaps and bounds better? No, but I am not sure we should expect that--especially from first gen titles.

/me thinks back to the PS2/Xbox/GCN launch and how UNIMPRESSIVE they were.

Well Doa3 was Xbox launch game and it looks about as good as Doa Ultimate and actually better than any other Fighting Game, so launch game can look really good, and this does.

Npl said:
Brimstone said:
It looks as though the the clothes on certain characters are "flowing" realisticly. It will probably more impressive in motion, although the detail in some of the shots is quite high in others it looks more bland.

Realistically, if you punch the girls bad enough so the clothes could get misaligned... I mean you could punch them out of their .. shoes.. for example :LOL:
I hope so 8) :oops:

I apologise in advance for the: [rant]

Had a look at all the screenshots now, and yep, this looks very nice. What did anyone think a DoA game was going to look like? Photorealism? A complete change in art style?

It's not helpful for "comparison" shots to have people posting PR shots for DoA Ultimate, complete with resolutions and AA (perhaps the result of downsampling from even higher resolutions) that are way, way beyond the capabilities of the Xbox to actually use. Despite this, you can clearly see that the level of detail is many, many times higher in these new shots.

Unimpressive? I'm forming the opinion that anyone who's going to be "disappointed" by this upcoming generation of games consoles frankly deserves it for talking themselves into a frenzy while chasing specs or fixating on high quality, offline rendering techniques that they don't really understand.

Disappointment like this is a bit like the kid at Christmas that didn't get the unicorn they wanted. It doesn't help these folks that the Xbox came out when it did, because it's lessened the gap from one generational shift to another (assuming you think there is really such a thing), but it doesn't change what you'll actually be getting for your money when the Xbox 2 and PS3 launch.

And remember, no shift in technology is going to give DoA an art style you like if you don't like the DoA art style. GFLOPS don't magically make something you don't like look like something you do, no matter how much you like GFLOPS.

Someone. Anyone. I don't care. said:
I can't see the Gflops!!....??

http://www.gaming-age.com/media/2005/may/doa4/13.jpg
13.jpg

[/rant]

Dr Evil said:
Well Doa3 was Xbox launch game and it looks about as good as Doa Ultimate and actually better than any other Fighting Game, so launch game can look really good, and this does.

True, there usually is a title or two they shine. Mario64 held its own on the N64 for a while, RL and WaveRace are a decent looking GCN titles and Halo still does not look bad on the Xbox. I expect PD0 to do that for the Xbox 360... I will be very dissappointed if PD0 is not stellar.

EDIT:
function said:
Disappointment like this is a bit like the kid at Christmas that didn't get the unicorn they wanted.

rotflol

man...those absolutely HAVE to be xbox 1 screens
come on how....
i think it will be available for xbox 1 and 2 and these are just xbox 1 screen
that or they just suck

They're still cleaning up PR shots with a lot of extra anti-aliasing like before of course, and the drop to the real game will still be noticeable. But, at least it won't look like an almost totally different game when comparing PR to reality like what happens with current-gen games (especially those that don't support proscan.)

Back