New Zelda scans

I'm not the only one who thought the new Zelda would be darker and more "adult."

There's a Nintendo fan or two on this board who thought the new "mature" Zelda would pull in new gamers and move more Gamecubes. But if it's just a beefed-up Ocarina of Time, that won't happen. Once again, this game will sell to existing Zelda and Nintendo fans - few others will care.

On the positive side, I give Nintendo credit for finally listening to its fans and producing a GC Zelda that, visually, comes closer to their original expectations.

Evil_Cloud said:
hey69 said:
wow so nice.............. to poop on!

seriously, i'm not impressed at all

why this? why not celshading again? i love Celda!

Don't tell me you're impressed by any current generation title then.

I liked The Wind Waker as well, although I DO like this style as well, although it is unclear how dark it is, or what the underlying theme(s) is(/are).

the pics i can make of of those scans dont impress me that's all.
and yes i'm still impressed with current gen titles ;)

for example, i wasnt impressed with mario for Gamecube also... sorry thats just personal taste

OICAspork said:
Iron Tiger said:
I was hoping for graphics on par with the old Spaceworld "Link vs. Ganondorf" demo, and maybe animation on par with Wind Waker.

I think the Space World graphics are exagerated in your minds eye, go reload them, the new Zelda is markedly better, particularly Link's model itself. On the other hand I really hope they improve the ground textures a bit.
I remember the models weren't exactly optimal, but the style of the modelling was good, and the lighting was much more interesting than what's going on in the new Zelda game. The graphics and animation in that looked like an evolutionary step in the series, while the new game looks like OoT's nephew. I'd say even Starfox Adventures is far more impressive on a technical level (I've yet to see any other game with fur shader grass).

PC-Engine said:
Yep it's the same thing with the celshaded Zelda, a lot of people couldn't get over the way it looked, well then don't buy it!!! You're missing out on a great game so it's your loss.

A lot of people didn't like the way it looked, didn't buy it, and it was Nintendo's loss. In a highly competetive market they pretty much threw away a killer app. There are lots of great games out there - to really draw people in on mass you need to get eveything right.

function said:
PC-Engine said:
Yep it's the same thing with the celshaded Zelda, a lot of people couldn't get over the way it looked, well then don't buy it!!! You're missing out on a great game so it's your loss.

A lot of people didn't like the way it looked, didn't buy it, and it was Nintendo's loss. In a highly competetive market they pretty much threw away a killer app. There are lots of great games out there - to really draw people in on mass you need to get eveything right.

The Wind Waker did IMHO everything right, but was shortened a bit by time pressure.

I am sure not everyone didn't like the cell-shading, the style and animation is masterfull in my opinion.

It would be nice if we can get someone who has read the article to tell us about it, it seems to contain some interesting info about the game.
Here's what google makes out of the big red texts (the only thing I could read from the scans):

"although Link will be already adult in the beginning of the adventure, also wrath maturing little by little with the passage of time"

"the game will be two or three times but great that 'ocarina of Time'"

"'Zelda' tendra a estetica very similar to the drawings manga"

Kolgar said:
[whine whine whine]... But if it's just a beefed-up Ocarina of Time, that won't happen. ...[whine whine whine]

Well THAT was truly pathetic.

There's not a SINGLE scene in both trailers and all of the scans/pics of this game that reminds in any fucking way of OoT.

Oh wait. There's Link. And a horse.

Kalin said:
Kolgar said:
[whine whine whine]... But if it's just a beefed-up Ocarina of Time, that won't happen. ...[whine whine whine]

Well THAT was truly pathetic.

There's not a SINGLE scene in both trailers and all of the scans/pics of this game that reminds in any fucking way of OoT.

Oh wait. There's Link. And a horse.

Err, easy tiger.

Notice the IF? He's merely saying that IF LOZ is just a OoT clone, non-Nintendo people won't flock in.
Having said that, i don't think a lot of non-Nintendoers will flock anyway, whatever this game will turn out to be, but i digress.

Now, why don't you calm down, get a tea, cookies, and actually read what people post?

I apologize.

IF that post was not implying the new Zelda is turning into a beefed up OoT. Based on nothing.

For those actually interested in the game: there are more scans and info from that spanish article on http://dsrevolution.com/.

Apology accepted. :)

Of course, none of us can KNOW just how the game will turn out. I was just saying it looked to ME like a beefed-up Ocarina of Time, visually. And I speculated from there.

Personally, I hope it turns out great. I'd like another Gamecube showpiece to put next to my RE4.

Notice the IF? He's merely saying that IF LOZ is just a OoT clone, non-Nintendo people won't flock in

He's not if you look at his earlier post

Kolgar wrote

OK, so this is going to look like Ocarina of Time, but with more polygons and textures.

I thought this game was going to be darker, grittier, more "mature"?

Still looks like a cartoon world to me. More Harry Potter than Seven.

No ifs to be found there.

Kolgar:

newzelda1.jpg
zeldasummit4.jpg

newzelda4.jpg
zeldasecond20.jpg

newzelda2.jpg
zeldax5.jpg

newzelda3.jpg
zeldashow13.jpg

I think that's enough, but here are some more from the new game anyway:

newzelda5.jpg
newzelda6.jpg

newzelda7.jpg

The new Zelda clearly has a much grittier edge to it then OOT and far more realistic graphics. In OOT you were a kid with a fairy on your shoulder who talked to pixie's and had fights with cartoony style characters. In this game your a man who battles massive fiery demons and very nasty looking creatures on horseback. This game is clearly far more Lord of the Rings then Harry Potter....

BTW even if this new game had been just like OOT with more polygons and textures. How many fans of Zelda have actually bothered with GameCube? I mean I'm not bad mouthing Wind Waker, I enjoyed it (though I'm looking forward to this game far more then I ever did with Wind Waker). But a lot of Zelda fans were really pissed about it. It sold 3 million copies, which while very good is not anywhere near as much as OOT, which sold 8 million copies. As many have said in the past GC's user base is not as big as N64's was even at a comparable age. So AFAICS any none cell shaded Zelda game would have had the potential to bring a lot of gamers back to a Nintendo console. But this game is something quite different, it won't just bring back old fans but may make new ones.

Teasy said:
No ifs to be found there.

Guys, I'm flattered! So many people taking my opinions as fact today! :p

And an opinion is what it was: "Still looks like a cartoon world to me."

Obviously, I, like you, know very little about the actual game. So of course I'm not stating absolutely that the new Zelda will be another OOT. I just said that based on those screens, that's what it looked like to me.

In this game your a man who battles massive fiery demons and very nasty looking creatures on horseback. This game is clearly far more Lord of the Rings then Harry Potter....

Yes, the new Zelda does seem to have a grittier edge. However, given previous Zelda titles and Nintendo's predisposition toward the whimsical rather than the sinister, I'm expecting the final product to be "Zelda with an edge" rather than a massive departure to the dark side. For example, we're not going to see realistic blood in this game, nor over-the-top graphic violence as in other games today.

BTW even if this new game had been just like OOT with more polygons and textures. How many fans of Zelda have actually bothered with GameCube?

I'd bet a whole lot of Zelda fans bought Gamecube in anticipation of a next-gen Zelda game - especially if they saw the Zelda demo from Spaceworld. If not, they bought a GC anyway. I think most Zelda fans probably play and enjoy other Nintendo first-party games as well, so for them, buying GC was a foregone conclusion.

So AFAICS any none cell shaded Zelda game would have had the potential to bring a lot of gamers back to a Nintendo console. But this game is something quite different, it won't just bring back old fans but may make new ones.

You're right - quite a few Zelda fans seem to have passed on Wind Waker due to the cell-shaded look. This new Zelda may indeed bring them back.

As for moving new hardware, as you may or may not be suggesting in that last sentence, you already know my opinion on that. It's getting too late in GC's life cycle - too late in this generation - for any one game to revitalize this platform now. Especially a marquee Nintendo title - because even if the game is different, gamers think they know what to expect.

I didn't say I took your comment as fact. I said clearly you were not just saying "if its like oot". You were saying that you think it looks just like OOT but with more polygons. BTW can I assume that you've actually changed your earlier opinion on the game after seeing the pics I posts then? Because you most definitely didn't say it was at all edgy earlier. In fact you compared it to the Harry Potter games :)

I'd bet a whole lot of Zelda fans bought Gamecube in anticipation of a next-gen Zelda game - especially if they saw the Zelda demo from Spaceworld.

Doesn't mean they kept it after they heard about Wind Waker.

We can just disagree on the games possible impact on sales. I will say though that a game doesn't have to have blood and over the top gore to, at least, not be considered "kiddy" by certain gamers (like Wind Waker was). Anyway I really just wanted to dispel the idea that this game is no darker or edgier then OOT. Because it obviously is a lot edgier and darker no matter how violent or visceral it may end up being in comparison to some other games on the market.

I think the problem is that Nintendo's is holding on to franchises that aren't aging particularly well... They can't age well because they started off generations ago when all game-makers had were pixels on a 2d screen. With hardware becoming more powerful with every generation and gamers wanting more realism as technology progresses, how can you make a comic-character that was based on a few pixels generations ago look realistic/better and still feel right?

Naughty Dog experienced the same thing to an extend with Crash Bandicoot. Despite the huge success, Crash was a character designed around the limitations of the PlayStations's resolution. It was a wise decision to dump Crash as a character and go for Jak and Daxter. I guess Zelda (or should I say Link) isn't as much of a problem that Mario I guess will be... I mean, how much better can Mario look? Mario will always look best with the few colours he was designed with... I can't see him transition too well into next generation when hardware will be that fast that it can do so much more.

Having that said, a Zelda with blood and ultra realistic looking characters doesn't feel more right as would Mario looking "human" in a game based around a realistic setting a la MGS: Snake Eater. I wonder how long Nintendo will hold on to its franchises until they realise that it's time for something new... or will they keep Mario/Link as simlistic as they were designed to be and appeal to the forever younger audience?

I think this is one of the reasons why we got "Celda".

not everything needs to be realistic .

Games like grand theft auto 3 sell well and they aren't realistic at all .

thanks for picking out a word and responding to that, jvd. :rolleyes:

I was refering to art-direction and graphics (as others before me), not gameplay. Games are aiming for more realistic art-direction as technology progresses - it's only natural after all. The question I am asking is if Nintendo will stay dedicated to its franchises which pose limitations in how far you can take those characters and set them into a realistic setting and make them look and feel more realistic - OR will they keep them in a setting they were designed to be in and distant themselves even more from competing development studios?

As an example: How far can you take Mario? Given Revolution will be fairly powerful hardware, will they make him look anymore realistic to warrant the extra power they have, or will they keep him as simplistic as he was designed to be? Mario is a 2d character by heart, you can't just take him and make him something that he is not: realistic, because he'll never be as long as he is Mario.

The characters limitation pose an intersting challenge which is why I think Zelda's first appearance ended up being Cell-shaded. Perhaps Link will make the transition into being more realistic, but a more realistic Link won't be the same Link everyone grew up with.

As an example: How far can you take Mario
As far as you want , of course u can't make him into a gta 3 game where he goes around killing cops

But then you can't take a guy from halo 2 and make a mario game , mario still sells extremely fun as its still what it allways was , a fun game of all ages character

as i said not everything has to be dark or adult orinetated for adult players to pick up .

Back