Peter Hofstee slides from that Cell preview (caps)

V3

Veteran
I was looking for these, so to those that wants them, here they are.

hofstee10vq.jpg

hofstee20nk.jpg

hofstee36qn.jpg

hofstee45ti.jpg

hofstee56hy.jpg

hofstee60gm.jpg

That hair cut is very distracting, I am not able to focus on the presentation ... meh, it's like a accident, you shoudn't watch, but you can't help it. *panics*

I think those cell-driven virtual shopping malls are going to be a huge success...

One downside I can see immediately tho; one has to get dressed even before going out on the internet, or else get arrested for indecent exposure. :p

Megadrive1988 said:

I wasn't serious, you know!

Frankly I'm stunned that was even mentioned on the slide. It's like someone was reaching too hard for ideas, they had some kind of brainstorming session trying to find new uses for their tech, and due to lack of imagination or whatever, that's what they came up with.

Sounds like some monstrosity born out of the dot-com boom era, I have no idea why anyone would want a VIRTUAL shopping mall... Just list the wares on a webpage, thank you. That'll be fine.

Guden Oden said:
Megadrive1988 said:

I wasn't serious, you know!

Frankly I'm stunned that was even mentioned on the slide. It's like someone was reaching too hard for ideas, they had some kind of brainstorming session trying to find new uses for their tech, and due to lack of imagination or whatever, that's what they came up with.

Sounds like some monstrosity born out of the dot-com boom era, I have no idea why anyone would want a VIRTUAL shopping mall... Just list the wares on a webpage, thank you. That'll be fine.

Now virtual windowshopping can be fun wandering the space just like you do in MMORPGs. Virtual malls can be fed with advertisement money paid by tenants like broadcast TV so it's free to roam in. Oh wait, it'll need police not to make it too resemble GTA :p

Inane_Dork said:
McFly said:
Hardware accelerated software rendering! :D
What does that even mean?
It's like Existential Hardware Design 101 or something. :p

I was refering to those GFX cards that are specialy made for accelerating a software renderer (do those cards even exist anymore?). For me this 'integrated acceleration' sounds a lot like those GFX cards.

Frei

"Physics Based Visualization (e.g. Ray Casting vs Texture Mapping)"

Do you think they'll adopt wolfenstein/doom "ray casting"? Wow! ;)

Seriously, I can't help more and more curious as to their commitment do REYES and Ray Tracing. They seem to mention it a lot.

Mweh, combining REYES rendering and ray-tracing is one of the hardest tasks; they are very different rendering approaches.

Nvidia certainly has the engineering team that was researching this the most, though... Larry Gritz and the Exluna guys.

Inane_Dork said:
Ray casting vs. texture mapping?

And people wonder why Sony needed to go to nVidia for a GPU. ;)

Yes, Sony is turning to Nvidia for a GPU, but that still doesn't mean anything. Sony could either have one of their own as well or they could have quite a bit to do with this GPU that Nvidia seems to be working on in which Nvidia didn't seem to mention. There are various clues that piont to this. Writing them off this early may just surprise you in the end.

Back