How do you convert Intel extremists?

K.I.L.E.R said:
Why not replace "f@nboi" with "extremist"?

It sounds funny. :LOL:

the REAL question is how to show AMD extremists that if AMD were in Intel's place they would be ripping everyone off a lot worse than Intel does. Intel is actually a pretty darn good company. Of course, the P4's all SUCK and A64's rock azimuth.

I don't know if it works for everyone, but I know what worked for me; I tried an AMD system.

I had 6 intel systems until I finally gave AMD a try, I've been straight AMD since...simply too much bang for buck advantage to AMD for me, not to mention all the fun tweaking options!

digitalwanderer said:
I don't know if it works for everyone, but I know what worked for me; I tried an AMD system.

I had 6 intel systems until I finally gave AMD a try, I've been straight AMD since...simply too much bang for buck advantage to AMD for me, not to mention all the fun tweaking options!

the first system I payed for and built myself was an AMD. The second was an Intel and I'm still on it... sorta... I upgraded to a new mobo and added a second CPU. Yes, I keep my systems rediculously long. I have built a number of both Intel and AMD machines. Neither one is always the better choice, you have to evaluate your needs, budget, and the actual CPU's that are available. Comparing brands is useless. A few years ago a PIII-S (Tualatin) was better than an AthlonXP and a P4, but the AthlonXP was better than the P4.

(and before anyone starts whining about comparing my tualatins to an AthlonXP... consider BOTH of them overclock 500MHz to each run at 1.7GHz *UNDERVOLTED* and ***PASSIVELY COOLED*** and thats with cheapo $19 heatsinks! ...yeah, noone bitchin now.... that's what i thought sucka's...)

Sage said:
(and before anyone starts whining about comparing my tualatins to an AthlonXP... consider BOTH of them overclock 500MHz to each run at 1.7GHz *UNDERVOLTED* and ***PASSIVELY COOLED*** and thats with cheapo $19 heatsinks! ...yeah, noone bitchin now.... that's what i thought sucka's...)
My last intel system was a tuly celeron 1.4 @ 1.75, you ain't gonna hear me dissing that chip! ;)

EDITED BITS: It's now my wife's rig, and paired with an AIW 9600 pro does a decent job of gaming for her too.

Guden Oden said:
When the hell did tualatin ever beat athlon xp (at same clock)? Can't remember that ever happening.
I dunno, but I believe it's starved for bandwidth so it never held out in games, or anything that else that likes bandwidth.

radeonic2 said:
Guden Oden said:
When the hell did tualatin ever beat athlon xp (at same clock)? Can't remember that ever happening.
I dunno, but I believe it's starved for bandwidth so it never held out in games, or anything that else that likes bandwidth.

theoretically it is starved. but, it actualy makes extremely good use of the bandwidth that it has. especially the -S version with 512K L2 cache. My Tuallies will beat Palaminos.

Sage said:
radeonic2 said:
Guden Oden said:

theoretically it is starved. but, it actualy makes extremely good use of the bandwidth that it has. especially the -S version with 512K L2 cache. My Tuallies will beat Palaminos.
Needs more 2.5GHz bartons :devilish:

im about to slap a 6800 GT in it and that should get me through HL2 in good shape. Certainly shouldnt have any troubble handling EQ2 either. I expect my next upgrade to be a dual-core 64-bit Centrino and DX-Next / WGF compliant GPU.

I've worked with AMD's since the K5, and they're great budget chips. The system I have now is the first and only Intel I've ever built, and I love it. The first time someone came over and tried it out, they said, "Wow, this is fast". And I thought, "Noone ever said that with my 2500+, or 2000 or 1800..." Then again, I'm a fiend for HyperThreading, and nothing AMD has yet comes close.

Jimmers said:
I've worked with AMD's since the K5, and they're great budget chips.

That sounds like an unflattering way of saying it gets more done at a lower price. Especially as you throw in that K5 too... :rolleyes:

"Wow, this is fast". And I thought, "Noone ever said that with my 2500+, or 2000 or 1800..."

Yeah, that must mean none of those were fast, right? Come on, get a grip.

Then again, I'm a fiend for HyperThreading, and nothing AMD has yet comes close.

As it doesn't actually speed anything UP, and sometimes does the exact opposite, and at best just stops things from slowing DOWN so much, AMD has little reason to hurry with an implementation right now. They are already in a commanding position from a performance, and particulary price/performance standpoint...

Back