How do you convert Intel extremists?

AMD has nothing to compete against the Pentium-M and there was a time when the P4 Northwood was a considerably more attractive choice than the Athlon XP.

Guden Oden said:
Jimmers said:
I've worked with AMD's since the K5, and they're great budget chips.

That sounds like an unflattering way of saying it gets more done at a lower price. Especially as you throw in that K5 too... :rolleyes:

:? Did the K5's not exist? The first chip I remember working with was an AMD around 100 MHz or so.

Guden Oden said:
As it doesn't actually speed anything UP, and sometimes does the exact opposite, and at best just stops things from slowing DOWN so much, AMD has little reason to hurry with an implementation right now. They are already in a commanding position from a performance, and particulary price/performance standpoint...

If you've never tried it, give it a chance. True, the real speed gains are negligable, but the fact you can have such a slew of programs running and still be able to interact with the PC normally (sans chugging) is a great thing.

EDIT: The 100 MHz was I think a Cyrix, so the first AMD I worked with was 233/266MHz or something.

bah just get two REAL CPU's. Like two Opteron 250's. mmmmm... tasty. and lots of RAM, got to have RAM. oh and yes there was a K5 but it was shitty. The first really good AMD CPU was the K6-2 and I had a 450 and a mobo with 1MB L2 cache. Damn this was fast and beat the crapola out of 450MHz P2's. I kept that system until I upgraded to a single 1.26GHz Tualatin. Then Upgraded to a second Tualatin a year ago.

oh yeah, and the K6-3 was a real killer. damn amazing CPU. never got my mitts on one though.

why wait for Dual core PM, why not Dual core A64? It will come out sooner, probably be faster, cost less or the same, and well higher power requirements, but not really high anyway ...

Druga Runda said:
why wait for Dual core PM, why not Dual core A64? It will come out sooner, probably be faster, cost less or the same, and well higher power requirements, but not really high anyway ...

because I freaking love the P-M / Tualatin. P-M's are basically refined Tualatins. I'm in love with Tualatins, in love with them i tell you!

Sage said:
Druga Runda said:

because I freaking love the P-M / Tualatin. P-M's are basically refined Tualatins. I'm in love with Tualatins, in love with them i tell you!

Ok than... money can't buy love, or can it ?:D

Druga Runda said:
Sage said:
Druga Runda said:

Ok than... money can't buy love, or can it ?:D

no, but it can buy a Tualatin!

I do get your Tuly love Sage, for $80us that damned 1.4 celery has REALLY been a hell of a chip for me!!!

I can only imagine how nice a full-blown PIII tuly would be. :)

digitalwanderer said:
I do get your Tuly love Sage, for $80us that damned 1.4 celery has REALLY been a hell of a chip for me!!!

I can only imagine how nice a full-blown PIII tuly would be. :)

well, the only difference between the Celly Tually and the PIII Tually is that the Celly has 100MHz FSB and the PIII has 133. That actually makes the Celly prefferable to the PIII because Tually's are almost always limited (in terms of OC'ing) by the motherboards max FSB... or, rather, the PCI devider which then has the effect of limiting the FSB. So, a 1.4GHz Celly has a higher multiplier than the 133 PIII and all Tually motherboards should be able to do 133. That means you can get a heck of an OC out of a Celly without running your PCI ludicrously high.

Now, there is another Tually and that is the PIII-S. It is SMP-capable and has twice the L2 cache of the Celly / PIII (for a total of 512Kb). They are a LOT more expensive than the other Tually's unfortunately. But, believe me when I say two of them with some DDR 3200 (it doesnt run at 3200 speeds but I have it on the most aggresive mem settings available) is SLICK SHIT.

Back