Atari's MIRAI console - based on ST..or SNK NeoGeo ?

Fox5 said:
Wasn't it included in the Dreamcast as well? Or was that a 68000 that was included for sound in the dreamcast?

No. The dreamcast used an ARM7 RISC as the core of its sound hardware. The 68000 was used as part of the Saturn's sound hardware though.

Guden Oden said:
This is clearly f-boy drivel
Pleease:rolleyes: If anything I'm a rabid Nintendite. ;)
no way a cheapass FM synth that originates in the early 1980s beats a real sample-based synth chip. It can't properly imitate real instruments no matter HOW hard a composer tries. It can only squeak and squawk and buzz, and in case you happen to LIKE noise like that, FINE. Personal opinion is personal opinion and cannot be argued with, but in no way are you going to sit there and honestly say it sounds better or more real than a chip using actual REAL instrument data, because it ISN'T sounding better! It's just FM scratchy noise, nothing more!
What do you mean by "real"? The Yamaha YM2612 is a real musical instrument with soul and charm. The SPC700 and DSP is just and imitator (and quite a poor one at that I might add). Funny really that KK talks about synthesizing stuff and his soundchip does none of that.
Did you even try comparing some of the best tunes on the two systems as I suggested?
BTW. the YM2612 is a very close cousin of the Yamaha chips used in the Adlib and early Sound Blaster boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't throw myself too far into this heated debate... But! I must stress that pretty much only the worst composers on SNES had that "canned sample" sound referred to here. The way to get good sound was to use waveforms only as long as one period of the sound you were trying to achieve, then modulate its envelope, pass it through the filter or even put FM modulation on it. In its more "synthetizing" moments, nothing on Megadrive comes close, IMO (and I am an FM freak, as previously mentioned).

Squeak said:
Pleease:rolleyes: If anything I'm a rabid Nintendite. ;)

What do you mean by "real"? The Yamaha YM2612 is a real musical instrument with soul and charm. The SPC700 and DSP is just and imitator (and quite a poor one at that I might add). Funny really that KK talks about synthesizing stuff and his soundchip does none of that.
Did you even try comparing some of the best tunes on the two systems as I suggested?
BTW. the YM2612 is a very close cousin of the Yamaha chips used in the Adlib and early Sound Blaster boards.

I think the 2612 was one of the lower end FM synth chips from Yamaha though. The 2610(used in Neogeo) and YM2151(used in Sega System16 arcade boards and TONS of others) were the more high end models. I think the Yamaha chip closer to the Sound Blaster was the YM3812.

PS, even MAME developers are confused by Yamaha's part numbering, and they have digitally perfect emulation of most older chips up to the mid 90's(the Yamaha FM chips have a digital output that MAME's FM dev compared his emulation to).

Back