first r420 review leak

What is this? Looks like an all-in-wonder feature? hmmm USB tv-tuner?

card05.jpg

Re: completly disapointed.

quest55720 said:
That is how i feel. I wanted to get an ATI card this round. I have never had a NVIDA card. I am completely disapointed I was hoping all the tranisitors they saved on not supporting sm3.0 would go to performance but from the look of it this did not happen.
How does saving transistors gain you performance? In fact, it's the exact opposite. To go faster you need more pipelining, deeper FIFOs, more caches, etc. This means more transistors.

Please make sense.

-FUDie

Huh?

First of all, you need more marketable features. I still don't see PS 3.0 being very marketable.

Marketable or not if perfomance is the same ill go with features all day long.

Second, ATI has better quality with their 6X MSAA mode, not to mention Temporal AA.

At 1280x960 the difference from 4AA to 6AA is not going to be noticable to 90% of people.

Third, ATI's parts are less obtrusive and run cooler...meaning more OEM friendly. And it doesn't take much of a stretch to imagine they are overall cheaper to manufacture. So ATI is in a better position to compete based on price....which is likely exactly what's going to happen this gen.

I am not talking OEM I am talking mind share.

The only chance to save this is to under cut NVIDIAs pricing but it does not look like they will.

(Hint...read my prior poost...nVidia first has to get a competitive card on the market first, before ATI has to even think about undercutting pricing.)[/quote]

NVIDIA just got a free extension by ATI. People are going to hold out a few more weeks for a superior product if these leaks are true.

FUDie said:
quest55720 said:
That is how i feel. I wanted to get an ATI card this round. I have never had a NVIDA card. I am completely disapointed I was hoping all the tranisitors they saved on not supporting sm3.0 would go to performance but from the look of it this did not happen.
How does saving transistors gain you performance? In fact, it's the exact opposite. To go faster you need more pipelining, deeper FIFOs, more caches, etc. This means more transistors.

Please make sense.

-FUDie
I think he's doing ok-ish.

The transistors not in the chip because of SM3 could have been put in the chip to make it faster. In his hypothetical chip, it would have more transistors and be faster, instead we get one that has less and is slower.

*shrug*

It's still too expensive for me to buy one. And that goes for the 6800 too.

EDIT: gosh dern hominems

quest55720 said:
Huh?

First of all, you need more marketable features. I still don't see PS 3.0 being very marketable.

Second, ATI has better quality with their 6X MSAA mode, not to mention Temporal AA.

At 1280x960 the difference from 4AA to 6AA is not going to be noticable to 90% of people.

Third, ATI's parts are less obtrusive and run cooler...meaning more OEM friendly. And it doesn't take much of a stretch to imagine they are overall cheaper to manufacture. So ATI is in a better position to compete based on price....which is likely exactly what's going to happen this gen.

The only chance to save this is to under cut NVIDIAs pricing but it does not look like they will.

(Hint...read my prior poost...nVidia first has to get a competitive card on the market first, before ATI has to even think about undercutting pricing.)

NVIDIA just got a free extension by ATI. People are going to hold out a few more weeks for a superior product if these leaks are true.[/quote]

as i said it didn't help them last generation. From the benchmarks in a majority of tests ati has the upper hand , mostly on the new dx 9 games.

Nvida has more features

Ati takes up less room and has better image quality

So its going to be a toss up. I figure anyone buying a card and can get a pro in a few days will go that root over waiting a month for the ultra

well in some of them leaked screenies some are kind of small but the iq look very similiar to me ,i dont think the iq quality is going to hold to much ground this time around but this is my opinion

Anyone buying a card in the next few days? Ok, maybe there are a few diehards who simply cannot wait 1 month for a faster card, but it's no skin off NVidia's back. I don't think this factors a large chunk of the market.

Personally, I'd wait until atleast PCI-E versions are available. I feel it is a mistake to invest in a new card at this point.

quest55720 said:

What about image quality? Is that not a "feature?"

And PS 3.0 is "noticable" to exactly zero % right now, and maybe what 2% down the road?

I thought you were talking about ATI being "sunk"? Who has the mind-share in the growing market of SFF PCs?

NVIDIA just got a free extension by ATI. People are going to hold out a few more weeks for a superior product if these leaks are true.

What superior product? What $399 nVidia product is superior to the $399 XT Pro?

RussSchultz said:
FUDie said:
quest55720 said:

Please make sense.

-FUDie
I think he's doing ok-ish.

The transistors not in the chip because of SM3 could have been put in the chip to make it faster. In his hypothetical chip, it would have more transistors and be faster, instead we get one that has less and is slower.

*shrug*

Its still to expensive for me to buy one. And that goes for the 6800 too.

Thanks russ. What I am trying to say is ill use the NV30 vs R300. Instead of wasting transistors on SM2.0+ fp32 fp16 and fx16 ATI just did a basic 2.0 and put all of the transistors to performance.

Has anybody ever thought that this leak may not be accidental and look at possible evidence?

-Toms past history with reviews vs ATI
-The games benchmarked in the review
-The review methods used
Some games used quality modes some did not
Seemingly hand picked resolutions and settings for cards
-Leaked Drivers for NVidia cards (provided by nvidia)
Drivers that have obviously caused corruption issues
-Nvidia's tendencies to do unscrupulous things to gain an advantage
Openly cheating in Far Cry as we speak!! (Both patch and driver)

It seems to me that this maybe a clever marketing ploy by NVidia to have you taste some salt so that even if you tasted sugar it still tastes nasty. I think that there is a little psychology at play here. Think about it now that you have seen this review, would it not take a review completely favoring ATI to even come close to making you feel positive about the r420?

The Far Cry Screen Shots (ps 1.1 vs 3.0), boost in performance and the cost of IQ via the 1.1 patch and these current-LY released beta drivers that tom is using, the 3DMark2003 issues and the soon to be other reasons have put NVidia in a position that even if they did beat ATI out in the benchmarks I would not by their product because they have proven to me that they are willing to do things that sacrifice the one thing that I cherish the most: QUALITY, not just image quality, but I like to know that I am getting what I am paying for.

If I pay 499 for my 6800Ultra, I am going to be really pissed when I find out that it really performs like an R420SE, but because they lied to me by manipulating benchmarks and crap advertising, I got screwed.

It’s just like a cheating wife or girlfriend, if they cheated on you once, in the back of your mind, you never trust them again because you not their to watch them 24/7

They've done it in the past, they are doing it now even with a product that SEEM's to be stellar, and they probably will continue to do it. Screw people that know that they are cheating so they could get the people that don't know to by their product.

NVIDIA: The Way You’re Meant To Be Screwed

I could care less who wins this battle, Nvidia will never get my money again!

edit: I take that back, I can sometimes be a performance whore, If they can release a card that is twice as fast as ATI's or the competing companies product they can ride me all night long!! :LOL:

DemoCoder said:
Personally, I'd wait until atleast PCI-E versions are available. I feel it is a mistake to invest in a new card at this point.

Well, that's fine of course if you're planning up upgrading your system to PCI-E...

It's less of a mistake to "invest" now than it will likely be going forward. We are on the front end of the next "step change" in performance. Ask the folks who bought 9700 Pros when they first shipped, if that was a mistake...given that the following 18 months were just clock bumps...

rwolf said:
What is this?

card05.jpg
I can't quite make out the text, so it could be anything. My guess is it is the primitive processor based on 3DFx's Rampage technology...just like the one that came on the NV30.

quest55720 said:
If all this is remotely true then NVIDA just ko'd ATI this round. With less features you better have much better performance than the competion. Well the king has returned to the throne. ATI deserves it they got arogent and lazy if you ask me. They are trying to milk an architecture for 2 years now. They had a chance to drop the bomb on NVIDA with the real R400 last year. Kinda of funny all the good will ATI has built up has just gone up in smoke. The only chance to save this is to under cut NVIDIAs pricing but it does not look like they will.

Hey Troll please go away!!

Back