The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Question from someone who doesnt really watch tv shows.
are there any new alternatives to shows like the expanse and altered carbon ?

Question from someone who doesnt really watch tv shows.
are there any new alternatives to shows like the expanse and altered carbon ?
for all mankind is kind of getting there maybe, but next best thing may be the babylon 5 reboot, if its even still a thing

They did release a Babylon 5 animated movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27712788/
Thats got mostly original cast doing voices, is there actually talk of a reboot TV series?
On one hand if done well like BSG reboot: hell yeah.
On the other, until proven otherwise I'm going to assume it'll be Discovery/Picard/Halo etc level trash.

They did release a Babylon 5 animated movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27712788/
Thats got mostly original cast doing voices, is there actually talk of a reboot TV series?
On one hand if done well like BSG reboot: hell yeah.
On the other, until proven otherwise I'm going to assume it'll be Discovery/Picard/Halo etc level trash.
its like schrödingers cat at the moment, its a super position of both those :(

JMS is still showrunner for the B5 reboot. Assuming it goes ahead, it should be somewhere between reasonably solid to great.

It's not going to shit on the values which made B5 good in the firstplace. His ethics & sensibilities haven't changed for the worst in the 30 yrs since he wrote the original.

No karate kicking gun turret ui please!

Anyone watching recent shows, True Detective, Masters of the Air?

Shogun just started up. First two episodes moved well.

Anyone watching recent shows, True Detective, Masters of the Air?

Shogun just started up. First two episodes moved well.
shogun is on the list, 2 episodes in true detective and loving it, its like a return to form (true detective 2 was the least good, 3 was ok, but 4 seems to be much closer to 1)
masters of the air is also good i think, the story of these day bombing raids is so crazy

im also now on the last episode of expats, the 6 episode miniseries based on the book by janice y. k. lee. its about loss and privilege, starring nicole kidman a mom and wife who experiences a terrible loss

nicole kidman totally has gone too far with the facial surgery but in this it actually kinda fits because of the role she plays. im really liking it, ive heard the ending is "different" so im excited to see it

Expats was okay.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is suppose to be better.

I haven't watched too many things on Amazon Prime, will try to watch Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Expats was okay.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is suppose to be better.

I haven't watched too many things on Amazon Prime, will try to watch Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
i do like the actors of mr and mrs smith but i may have ptsd from the 2005 film which i didnt like at all.
the new series is listed as dramedy, is the comedy part more like barry or succession?

I've just finished watching the most recent True Detective. Very dark and gritty (as you might expect). Some of the characters were just a bit too way out there and the solution to the mystery was clever but a bit daft, but good acting and lots of British/Irish actors in there, for some reason! I didn't mind it at all.

I have been watching Yellowstone lately. Pretty uneven, but it is very entertaining when it goes full gangster mode!

And Kevin Costner has to be the worst dad ever!

Now this might be interesting: Benioff&Weiss are working on series adaptation of the Three-Body Problem with 200M budget, for Netflix. Reportedly it should launch already beginning of next year.

Based on teaser it feels like it might be pretty faithful to the book; also, Chinese adaptation has already been made so I hope the rather fast release schedule implies that American writers haven't tampered with it much.
Halfway through watching the Netflix series. Good job IMO, they have taken a few scenes almost directly from the Chinese TV series while making sensible adjustments for western audiences. Hard to say how this works for people who don't know the books - if you haven't, how about watching and reporting what you think about it?

Halo season 2: in bits better eg it actually has a hint of the Halo theme & a view of the Halo in the opening credits.
Overall quality still shit though, eg they do Fall of Reach with the Spartans not having their armor ffs.
They threw away Peter Jackson & Neil Blomkamp versions to make this absolute trash :runaway:

I got "The Gentleman" and "3 Body Problem" as the next two things to watch as they were highly recommended to me, anyone seen them and have any opinions? No spoilers though pls, I haven't started either yet. (Although I vaguely recall a 3 body problem anime I think...)

Completed 3BP last weekend.
Just as I thought D&D cannot ruin another series as bad as they did with Game of Thrones, they go ahead and....... Completely redeem themselves!

Well it is not perfect of course, but I'm really positively surprised, considering this coming from Netflix. Sure, people complain how it is westernised and race-swapped woke and so on, but who cares when the story works. I feel D&D really grok the source material, adapting it skillfully. Just the pace seemed really hasty, first book basically completing in 5 episodes (especially after watching the Chinese adaptation of first book in 30 episodes, i.e. longer runtime than the actual audio book version of the original opus).

Wife got AppleTV freebie with iPhone for a while and I was hesitantly wondering if I could try resuming the hideous thing labeled as Foundation - but 3BP succeeding so well where that thing totally failed, I've decided to forget it for good. There's enough frustration in life already.

Back