Hello again

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Hello again, friends of graphics, games, semiconductors and the merry world of high technology. A few days ago we took the decision to make the forums read only, effectively closing them, and I wanted to explain why we did that, why we've decided to reopen give it another go, and hopefully address some of the feedback we've had since we decided to go read-only. Some people don't really understand why we did it, and knowing why might help with how things go in the future.

Fair warning: this'll be an essay, as is usual for me. Please have a go getting to the end if you can.

You might remember, following the closure of the Architecture and Products sub-forum for a while last year, that we wanted to reopen it with some new guidelines for that sub-forum, recruit some new moderators to help put those new guidelines into play, and have another bash at it all. We published a draft of the new guidelines for A+P and wrote some new rules for the forums at large, and there was some good discussion on that side of things. They (hopefully!) made it clear what kind of posting culture, for want of a better word, we were looking for going forwards.

It was one that harked back to the Beyond3D of the late '90s and early noughts, where discussion was a lot more positive, more exciting, more full of wonder at what the world of real-time graphics acceleration might be like and what it might do for games and more, and more respectful of each other as humans and people. As we wrote back then, there's no reason for what we talk about here to be negative, angry, disrespectful, and where the discussion doesn't go anywhere or improve anyone's understanding of it.

Ultimately we want discussing graphics, games, semiconductors and the other things we touch on here to be fun to discuss and positive overall. There is so much that's negative and bad out there in the world, often just forced on us all whether we like it or not, that we don't need it here at Beyond3D and we actively want to avoid it as much as possible.

That gets to the crux of why we closed it. Many of the moderators have also been posters here for around 20 years, and some have been moderators for about that long too. It's a tiny team, only a small handful really active (God bless you, Shifty!), and I think it's worth pointing out what it's like sometimes for us to do that job over so long a time period. A moderator's job when they first open the tab again is to see what's been reported by the users, take care of the reports, and then take a general look at the threads and read them to see what might need looking at that hasn't been reported. Not everything gets flagged up.

That means that first interaction, before doing any posting of our own, is usually just negative, either dealing with the post reports (many of which are just baseless, with users upset that their favourite thing isn't someone else's favourite thing), or cleaning up what wasn't reported. Over a long enough timescale of having to do that every time you look, that can get to be too much, so you back away from doing it slowly but surely.

For me personally, not speaking for anyone else now, it really affected my mental health. I love Beyond3D. It's been one of the biggest pleasures of my life to keep it online, fast and usable for everyone. It was an even bigger pleasure to write for it after Wavey decided to hop over the fence to go make the things he loved to write about. That directly led to the incredible privilege of being able to do that myself, making a career out of helping to design, debug, optimise and ship graphics hardware and software technology in many forms.

Behold, a small brass trumpet. I've helped ship many GPUs or GPU IPs in my time, some of them into the most successful consumer electronics devices of all time. I've worked with dozens of talented game developers to optimise their amazing games, and helped my employers and those games developers to create graphics technologies to make those games as great to experience as possible. It's been the career I always dreamed I'd have, and Beyond3D helped get that for me. Wavey and I aren't alone in that. I know many people whose time on the forums, reading and contributing, especially back in the early days, helped them get the jobs and careers they have now.

So to love it so much, and owe it so much, means that the slow drip of negative interactions and the more sour and argumentative sentiment that's spread has been really hard to cope with. In recent years I've actively avoided even opening the tab because ultimately it just made me sad. I know that's the same for BRiT. So over the last few years we've discussed what to do.

We decided we wanted to get more help, to refresh things and keep it going and try and turn it around a bit, but the getting help bit has been tough. We wanted people to step forwards, rather than us ask, but we did do a bit of asking here and there behind the scenes to gauge interest and gently encourage. One of the themes of those discussions was folks asking if moderating maybe takes some of the love away from just being a poster. Yep. Yep yep yeppity yeppers.

And then even after the draft guidelines were published, which (hopefully) made it clear what we were looking for, the negativity carried on pretty much like nothing had happened or might happen in the future to curb it. That was hard.

So the effort just ground to a halt and eventually we fully noped out. It's my fault for not saying something, especially since we had timelines for reopening last year which I pretty much just ignored. I apologise for that. Hopefully the rambling above helps frame why, but I'm sorry nonetheless.

So now what?

Obviously you can see the forums are open again and you can post. If that's not obvious, they're open again and you can post. Go on, make a post. It'll feel really good. We (at least me, BRiT needs to work that out for himself still) want to have another go at it all.

There are new guidelines in play for A+P, and the site guidelines as a whole have been updated. They're just the state of the drafts we had at discussion time last year, and are still open to evolve as we put them in play. Because they'll take some adjustment, to both mods and posters, we'll allow for some time to make it on both sides.

I'm sorry to bang on about this next bit so much, but it's really important: the overarching things we want here are for everyone to have fun, positivity and respect for each other. Remembering that people with feelings are behind the handles we all use, and you don't know what's going on in their lives in the world around them. Please (and I'm begging now, because it's for my own benefit in small part) don't make anyone's day worse. That has to be paramount now.

As for the topics, we want a bit more depth in the more technical discussions so they can move forwards with a strong signal:noise ratio and be helpful for anyone that reads them or takes part to create them. If what you have to say is going to drop the ratio, please rethink it or maybe don't hit Post Reply at all. We also might make some changes to the structure and how things work outside of A+P as well, to help.

We will be making more use of the moderations tools at hand, including thread holidays, and full-forum holidays and permanent stoppages. We're happy to discuss any of that if it happens to you, as always.

And then the last thing before I wrap it up, on moderators to do the above. We still do need more help. We've discussed that with a handful of people already that actively want to help. We've said yes to a few of you and already added you to the roster. There won't be a mandatory Discord account needed to be a moderator, like we suggested last year, if you don't want to use it, but it'll be very helpful for more immediate actions or decision making.

We'll be actively asking people to help now, but if you want to join the moderator team ahead of being asked then let me know in a DM, and if we turn you down, please don't take it personally. Moderators that work for graphics hardware companies and games developers will be very welcome, if you're able, to bolster the ranks with subject matter experts that are in the field and can see things from a wider perspective.

Wrap up time. Thanks for getting this far, I love you heaps if you did. Hopefully the above helps you understand why we did what we did, and why it was a bit out of the blue and maybe difficult to wrap your head around. The response has been pretty overwhelming. The comments, both positive and negative, have helped me reflect a lot on what Beyond3D is, what it means to me, what it hopefully means to you all, and get the energy to reopen.

To those that asked to buy it, thanks, but it's not that kind of place. We don't have ads, and it shouldn't be business or part of someone's portfolio or anything like that. It's just a cool place for nerds to hang out and talk about graphics, games and tech, all hopefully fun and positive and more full of wonder and excitement again going forwards.

Feel free to talk about any of the above in any way that matters to you.

Hey there, thanks for reconsidering and opening the forums up again. I'm not a very active member here, but I was at a loss for words when I came in the other day and saw everything was shutting down. I was not aware of the seriousness of the drama and negativity, but it does sound like it reached a boiling point for everyone, I hope you're all doing okay. Here's to hoping the message is received by the community this time and we continue to have nerdy conversations without drama.
Cheers everyone!

When the forum closed I realized this is essentially the only form of social media I have. No Twitter, Reddit, or whatever else there is. I do have a Discord that I rarely use but that and this are it.

Thanks Rys et al. for keeping this place alive. The outpouring of support and scattered flaming when the forum closed was heartening. Lots of people really care about this place, and I saw many names I thought were long gone from here :)

Will users be notified that the forum is open again? I think a lot of people thought it was shut down forever and won't be checking it.

Very pleased to be back on air! Couple of observations...
The comments, both positive and negative, have helped me reflect a lot on what Beyond3D is, what it means to me, what it hopefully means to you all, and get the energy to reopen.
To get anything done in this world takes three things. One is time, and another money, and people are well aware of these. But the third is energy. The people around us can power us to do more, or sap the life from us and even with time and money, we just can't get anything done. It's not a case that one just lacks willpower or determination...a fundamental resource is missing. A plant needs light, water, and nutrients. It can't make up the absence of one with the others. People need positive energy. It needs to present all the time, not just when it's at breaking point/too late.

As for the primary arguments and toxicity in threads, AFAICS it's mostly discussions ending up as discussions about how to discuss and reason. A person presents a point, someone says it's not a valid point (whether it is or isn't is moot), and then the discussion becomes toxic about whether a person knows what they are talking about or not or is deluded or a shill etc. It is. famously...

1705766682360.png

These discussions aren't worth anything to anyone. It seems one of the more tragic negatives that came unexpectedly with the invention of the internet, people unable to let an argument go because they can't walk away and do something else instead. Annoyed with someone at the pub? Go home and it's over. Friend bothering you at school? Go home and tomorrow it's all forgotten. Annoyed with someone on the internet? It's right there, right now! Just post one more post and tell them they're wrong!

Arguing excessively over whether someone is right or wrong is not good for anyone. Healthy debates...cool. Relentless "but I'm not wrong" posting...uncool. People need to start to just shrug things off and let the other guy get the last word if necessary. As a mod, I'm going to have to pre-empt these discussions. Holidays would be good for your mental health if your getting stuck in this posting style. Maybe it needs a 'three post max' for each contributor on any one point? ;)

Will users be notified that the forum is open again? I think a lot of people thought it was shut down forever and won't be checking it.
Good idea, I’ll have a think about how.

I don't think it's been that long since it was closed. And no one was notified that it was closed in the first place. Anyone truly invested in this place will either return soon anyway to check in, or checked out one of the alternatives that sprung up.

Last edited:
One suggestion is to avoid having Mods alter the direction of ongoing thread discussion to another focus on something they personally feel is of more interest. The right approach would be for the Mod to create another tread on what their interest is and let members contribute to it, but I think it is disingenious to forum members to hijack ongoing thread discussion.

Force people to write a min of 100 words (or whatever) explaining their grievance before reporting. Make them plead a case. It’s too easy and lazy to hit a button and fire off a report about something you don’t like and make the admins deal with it.

If you feel the need to report, you can put the leg work in to explain why.

One suggestion is to avoid having Mods alter the direction of ongoing thread discussion to another focus on something they personally feel is of more interest. The right approach would be for the Mod to create another tread on what their interest is and let members contribute to it, but I think it is disingenious to forum members to hijack ongoing thread discussion.
I think what you may be describing is a symptom and not a problem with the moderation here. As posters we are typically in tune with the threads that we are participating in, but as moderators you have to look after the whole site. When you have hundreds of threads that are going astray, they are going to leverage any tools that’s going to allow them to actually moderate the number of issues coming up.

As described by Rys, with the few number of moderators available to do it, it’s understandable that they cannot spend hours trying to fix every thread, it may not have been perfect, but spawning threads allowed for them to do their job. Even then, it wasn’t sufficient to call for a shutdown.

I’ve noted your feedback, if you could send me a PM and cite some examples of where things went poorly for you, we can discuss some possible solutions.

I think what you may be describing is a symptom and not a problem with the moderation here. As posters we are typically in tune with the threads that we are participating in, but as moderators you have to look after the whole site. When you have hundreds of threads that are going astray, they are going to leverage any tools that’s going to allow them to actually moderate the number of issues coming up.

As described by Rys, with the few number of moderators available to do it, it’s understandable that they cannot spend hours trying to fix every thread, it may not have been perfect, but spawning threads allowed for them to do their job. Even then, it wasn’t sufficient to call for a shutdown.

I’ve noted your feedback, if you could send me a PM and cite some examples of where things went poorly for you, we can discuss some possible solutions.
I'm not talking about threads that have gone astray or need fixing, rather threads where the participants have invested time in the discussion. The suggestion is in threads that do not need any moderation action, thread continuance should be the preferred choice from moderators rather than changing the thread direction. Moderation is not an easy task and would think it would benefit both forum members and the moderation effort as a whole. I will make a note to pm if it occurs at a future date.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about threads that have gone astray or need fixing, rather threads where the participants have invested time in the discussion. The suggestion is in threads that do not need any moderation action, thread continuance should be the preferred choice from moderators rather than changing the thread direction.
Can you give examples? I kinda take offence at the idea I've been moderating to make threads what I want them to be! 😲 I know two courses of action of thread derailment, when I notice the talk isn't in keeping with the thread title. 1) Remind people to get back on topic and invite them to make a new thread or 2) if the discussion is in depth, spawn off a new thread (a not insignificant amount of work and why we prefer people to self moderate and where sometimes Action 1 is used first). Whichever, my guiding light is always the thread title and purpose, not what I might prefer to talk about. I believe maintaining the proper structure is important.

If you allow conversations to just wander, you don't want a forum and Discord et al are better.

I'm not talking about threads that have gone astray or need fixing, rather threads where the participants have invested time in the discussion. The suggestion is in threads that do not need any moderation action, thread continuance should be the preferred choice from moderators rather than changing the thread direction. Moderation is not an easy task and would think it would benefit both forum members and the moderation effort as a whole. I will make a note to pm if it occurs at a future date.
Thanks appreciate it.

And just to add onto your message, moderation is also to meet the goals of the site as much as it is for the community.

The content here is community driven, but it’s the owner’s goal to curate that content.

If B3D is the garden, the posters are all plants, the gardeners should be doing their best to meet the goals in ensuring a vibrant community, but also ensuring that the garden is becoming what it’s supposed to be.

Regular maintenance, moving plants around, and removing weeds are all important functions in ensuring the garden is beautiful.

Can you give examples? I kinda take offence at the idea I've been moderating to make threads what I want them to be! 😲 I know two courses of action of thread derailment, when I notice the talk isn't in keeping with the thread title. 1) Remind people to get back on topic and invite them to make a new thread or 2) if the discussion is in depth, spawn off a new thread (a not insignificant amount of work and why we prefer people to self moderate and where sometimes Action 1 is used first). Whichever, my guiding light is always the thread title and purpose, not what I might prefer to talk about. I believe maintaining the proper structure is important.

If you allow conversations to just wander, you don't want a forum and Discord et al are better.
I looked at your posts back to last May and was it was just too many; possibly the thread was during the covid years. At the time it was a console thread? and I was only reading (not participating) and remember it well because it took the wind out of the sails. If the thread turns up over the next few months I'll let you know but going forward it good to know your guiding light.

I don't think it's been that long since it was closed. And no one was notified that it was closed in the first place. Antoine truly invested in this place will either return soon anyway to check in, or checked out one of the alternatives that sprung up.
Personally after reading this, the only reason I was coming here was because some of us were talking in private messages. That post didn't leave much room for hope of a return for B3D. Some websites even reported the closure of B3D. Not sure if they'll report that it's been reopened.

I think the default setting for getting a PM is an email notification. So that's an easy way to notify folks that the forum is open again. But I dunno if it's possible to only PM members who've visited the site in the last few days.

Back