Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

I found the statement interesting that CIG could then theoretically sell Blizzard a solar system and that Azorath could then run there with its own code and rules.
He said "Think of this like the metaverse, except not stupid.

I'm skeptical and let's see if server meshing really works in the end. It would certainly solve a lot of problems and take the game a long way forward.

I wonder if Jupiter is happy with his bundle ?

Such a package was requested by players because they find it easier than buying all the spaceships individually.

That's why CIG also offers this.

I found the statement interesting that CIG could then theoretically sell Blizzard a solar system and that Azorath could then run there with its own code and rules.
He said "Think of this like the metaverse, except not stupid.

I'm skeptical and let's see if server meshing really works in the end. It would certainly solve a lot of problems and take the game a long way forward.
i can see it now, onyxia t-posing while the raiders all die from dismounting their horses too close to some geometry

Yes I'm sure players were saying please CiG can you release a $48,000 dlc
If the dlc is $48,000 what's the game going to sell for $100,000 maybe a quarter of a million dollars
What's the saying "A Fool And His Money Are Easily Parted"

Last edited:
There are 10 kinds of gender in this world, those which belong to the binary gender category and those that don't.

I see that some users here are filled with bitterniss. Why don't you think a little more positively?

Some stats which show that Star Citizen is already being played a lot:
20231229_201555.jpg 20231230_153224.jpg 20231231_140441.jpg

According to information from a recent Bar Citizen DLSS could be available in 3.23. They had a few problems with Frame Generation and that's why it comes later. The first basic version of Server Meshing could also be released.

Last edited:
I see that some users here are filled with bitterniss. Why don't you think a little more positively?
I don't see any bitterness, but plenty of incredulous responses to the notion of selling intangibles game content for $48,000. It makes Bethesda's horse armour seem almost reasonable in comparison.

In Star Citizen, however, you don't just get a simple skin DLC with the package, but hundreds of spaceships whose production costs totalled a hundred million USD.

I would find it rather bad if you could buy hundreds of spaceships for 30 USD. Then every player would fly around with it. Just like I would find a Tesla Cybertruck bad for 20 000 USD. Because then almost everyone would be driving a massive Cybertruck. Something like that should cost quite a bit.

The spaceships in Star Citizen will also have maintenance costs.

In any case, it seems pointless and a waste of time for me to write anything at all in this thread. Then I'm out of here.

In Star Citizen, however, you don't just get a simple skin DLC with the package, but hundreds of spaceships whose production costs totalled a hundred million USD.

I would find it rather bad if you could buy hundreds of spaceships for 30 USD. Then every player would fly around with it. Just like I would find a Tesla Cybertruck bad for 20 000 USD. Because then almost everyone would be driving a massive Cybertruck. Something like that should cost quite a bit.

The spaceships in Star Citizen will also have maintenance costs.

In any case, it seems pointless and a waste of time for me to write anything at all in this thread. Then I'm out of here.
sunk cost fallacy?

This comments smacks of worst kind of capitalist elitism, the desire to own things not because they have been earned but because their exclusivity is tied a cost that others cannot afford. If you can cannot discern the difference between an intangible product like DLC and a tangible items like vehicles which have material and manufacturing costs, then the world must counfound you on a daily basis.

It can take multiple teams several months to design these highly complex starships. That's a rather significant cost behind them.

It can take multiple teams several months to design these highly complex starships. That's a rather significant cost behind them.
I have no doubt a lot of effort goes into this, Cloud Imperium do this because they have a handful of whales willing to pay $48,000 on top of the $10,000 threshold they must already have spent to qualify for the bundle - as @Bludd said above, it's the sunk cost fallacy.

It's no different to the mobile pay-to-win game model, but Star Citizen's is also selling whales on the 'prestige' value..

sure but its not comparable to the supply chain and other costs associated with mass producing cars for the global market

It's no different to the mobile pay-to-win game model, but Star Citizen's is also selling whales on the 'prestige' value..
Oh yes totally pay to win, up to the point you need to actually have some skill to still fly the ships properly unlike mobile. No one would say otherwise. And it's definitely geared towards whales.

I'm just saying that there is definitely a significant cost associated with these ships, and that scales. A ship 5x as large would take 5x the amount of time/resources to design, give or take. It's not like an ABK microtransaction model where painting a set of armor gold makes it 5x the price with no underlying cost difference.

sure but its not comparable to the supply chain and other costs associated with mass producing cars for the global market
Of course not, but if the average cost of designing one of these ships is in the $300k-$500k mark, and your TAM is much smaller than real world sales, then compared to many other MTX games, especially when they're mostly cosmetic, the prices of these ships aren't nearly as egregious. Everyone is looking simply at the $48k price and not considering the sheer amount of ships in that package and the time and resources spent designing them.

One just simply cannot compare Star Citizen ships to a stupid mobile game pack of digital cards or some shit.

Oh yes totally pay to win, up to the point you need to actually have some skill to still fly the ships properly unlike mobile. No one would say otherwise. And it's definitely geared towards whales.

I'm just saying that there is definitely a significant cost associated with these ships, and that scales. A ship 5x as large would take 5x the amount of time/resources to design, give or take. It's not like an ABK microtransaction model where painting a set of armor gold makes it 5x the price with no underlying cost difference.

Of course not, but if the average cost of designing one of these ships is in the $300k-$500k mark, and your TAM is much smaller than real world sales, then compared to many other MTX games, especially when they're mostly cosmetic, the prices of these ships aren't nearly as egregious. Everyone is looking simply at the $48k price and not considering the sheer amount of ships in that package and the time and resources spent designing them.

One just simply cannot compare Star Citizen ships to a stupid mobile game pack of digital cards or some shit.
this isnt geared towards whales, this is some kind of uber-whale monstrosity. one can get multiple cars for this amount and they are much more usable

lets say a group of 175 (1 ship per person?) people group together to get this, they would have to trust the guy they give the money to to buy this and they have to trust him to actually buy it and then actually give it to each person in the game if that is even possible, theyd be out of pocket 275-ish usd and just hoping the guy will actually honor the deal

and is each ship even worth 275 usd?

Back