Elon Musk *spawn*

One think the poms can fix is their terrible power sockets
I've heard some ppl say they are the best in the world (mainly for safety) but nah, too clunky have to plug in only one way etc, NZ is also terrible. I'm not sure whats the best, One thing I hate here in the EU is most sockets dont have on/off switches on wall next to them, wow brain dead invention.

two points against them, bulky and they can only be plugged in one way, Ive had times where I havent been able to use a socket cause the thing plugged in next to it was blocking access to the empty socket.

Its just one of those things you would of thought they could of standardized years ago, along with left/right drive, same railway gauges (I took a train from moldova to romania a couple of years ago, I had to wait at the border in the train for an hour cause they had to adjust the undercarriage to fit the different gauge, trains here in spain cant go across the border to france)

Is it wrong that I don't have a clue what you're getting at here? What's the issue with sinks (as we call them over here)? I've been to various countries across Europe (+ Mexico) and their sinks worked just as effectively as ours. In fact, I didn't even notice any difference. What's the problem?
I ll give you another try to spot the difference

I have both combined mixer taps and separate taps in my house. Both work perfectly well (though I prefer the separate ones). What's the issue again? Weird.

pVay7sF.jpg

Or (only brits will get this)
CO6j1WL.jpg

Or (only brits will get this)
I used to get beano, and later viz

Why would the word plug be both for plug and socket/outlet?
Then again in US english they use with luck, both in and out to mean the same thing :LOL:
'he lucked out == hes in luck'
logically out and in are opposites (thus first is bad the second is good, but in US eng both are good)

edit: In saying that, generally I prefer the US way of spelling things, its more logical

Last edited:
it's not, you have a plug and a plug socket
OK fine plug and plug socket (or plug outlet if you wish, though in this case wouldnt it be power outlet?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets
though cambridge dictionary doesnt mention plug socket, everything else but 'an electrical socket' 'a light socket' ' the mains socket.' 'car's lighter socket.' 'kitchen sink socket'
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/socket
same with the oxford
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/socket

OK fine plug and plug socket (or plug outlet if you wish, though in this case wouldnt it be power outlet?

No, don't know anyone English that'd call a domestic plug socket an outlet.

Not in the four corners I've lived anyway. There's always regional oddities to English though, which I assume is common to other countries too. Given how peculiar some regional English is, I wouldn't be surprised to find them called 'wall baps' somewhere.

Last edited:
I have both combined mixer taps and separate taps in my house. Both work perfectly well (though I prefer the separate ones). What's the issue again? Weird.
I think the most obvious difference would be access to warm water. With separate taps you have to plug and fill the basin a bit. Just seems like a simple difference that was solved a long time ago. I can't think of an advantage of having separate taps.

I've always been jealous that your plugs were disassemblable. We can get them here to replace busted factory ones, but most plugs are all just cast in rubber with zero access.

Also for us it's hot, neutral, and ground instead of live, neutral, and earth. Double also all plugs should have fuses, most of ours don't. :( (AND IT'S REPLACEABLE?!?!)

At least you have an earth a lot of European plugs dont
Too many American devices don't have a ground either, I don't like those anywhere NEAR as much as grounded devices. I'm also a huge fan of GFI outlets.

I got this thing about dying by electrocution, if I do I lose a bet I really don't care to lose at. :p

Back