AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
Techpowerup comparison tool was the eye opener.

Go fullscreen, pick the quality, use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out and side-to-side, and judge for yourself.

Having done that, It was a stark contrast when first seeing the DF video and then seeing the high-res results for myself on techpowerup. The end result doesn't care if there are temporal alternatives out there. I was impressed. It is legitimately a good tool with its own advantages and should exist on its own merit.
yes, it was. Thanks for sharing! Now I can safely say that it isn't just a simple upscale method -which is what I expected tbh- nor it is a DLSS 1.0 case once again.

Kitguru seems like the most useful video I've seen so far. It shows a side-by-side comparison in Godfall between 4K FSR Ultra and UE4's TAAU from 77% scale (i.e. same base resolution).

TAAU does indeed look sharper, but there's a lot of shimmering that can be seen in the stairs. The performance boost between 4K FSR Ultra and 77% + TAAU also seems to be practically identical (92.5 FPS on FSR Ultra vs. 89.2 TAAU+77%), so it really is a matter of preference between them.
From the example the author gave, I would prefer FSR as the shimmering and artifacts would probably bother me more than the added sharpness.
Then for 1080p FSR Ultra really can't do much, at least for larger monitors / lower pixel densities, so 77% + TAAU seems preferrable.

In Anno 1800 it seems even the Quality mode behaves quite well at 4K.

As for those interested in knowing what this brings to x86 handhelds, here's The Phawx's analysis of FSR on the Aya NEO:

He only uses Riftbreaker. By downsizing the video in my monitor to emulate a 7" panel, I can't see any difference between the native and quality modes. It's just giving away a ~35% boost for free in a high-density screen, and it's not more because the 15W Zen2 APUs are pretty starved in compute resources (especially the Aya NEO's Ryzen 5 4500U with only 6 CUs enabled).

This looks like a pretty good tech for the upcoming SteamPal.
with technologies like this low-end hardware from the year 2023-2024 on can be running AAA games with little power consumption, which imho is the point of this, and where energy efficiency is key (for me it is, on any device, no matter how advanced), it makes hardware like the Aya Neo or GPD Win more appealing.

How is it dedicated to this? There are zero such titles in the list of FSR games provided at its launch.
lol true, I was projecting on their behalf here. I was expecting them to show me FSR for counterstrike et al. I was quite confused when I didn't see it.

As for latency, you're right. TAA can add some blur/shimmering which may not be desirable for esports games however. Depending on how TAAU would be implemented, players may feel that it's better to have FSR over TAAU even though TAAU would be visually superior from a graphical fidelity perspective, it may not be from a pure functional perspective.

Last edited:
Can FSR be used to boost quality beyond a monitor's resolution through downscaling?

It looks like it can, and it seems superb.

Here is Riftbreaker @ native 1080p versus 1440p FSR Ultra (i.e. native 1080p) + downscaling, performance loss of 4% in a RTX 2060:
https://imgsli.com/NTg1MjU

Native 1080p versus 4K FSR Performance (native 1080p) + downscaling, no performance loss:
https://imgsli.com/NTg1Mjc

Native 1080p versus 1323p FSR Quality (native 882p) + downscaling, 29% higher performance:
https://imgsli.com/NTg1MjQ

The 4K FSR Performance + downscaling looks awesome in the still pictures, but I don't know if it looks good in motion as I suspect all those white pixels might be shimmering.

Here's the reddit post:

Then why is FSR only easier to implement when there's no TAA? FSR works with TAA just fine, as well as all other AA implementations.
Well, without a temporal component a spatial upscaling filter alone is likely to magnify temporal artifacts in undersampled areas, which obviously become more prevalent once you start lowering the rendering resolution.

Does any the of the launch FSR games use it without TAA?

Well, without a temporal component a spatial upscaling filter alone is likely magnify temporal artifacts in undersampled areas,

How is the lack of temporal AA going to magnify temporal artifacts when using a spatial upscaling filter?

Clarification: I always thought of temporal artifacts as artifacts created by temporal techniques: ghosting, shimmering, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the lack of temporal AA going to magnify temporal artifacts when using a spatial upscaling filter?
I think @nAo means temporal artefacts, like pixel popping, shimmer, specular aliasing, etc. Without TAA a modern game would be pretty darn aliased in ways a spatial upscaling filter cannot solve (it does not even begin to tackle that), unless it was also spatially supersampled as well.

This appears to be a pretty good spatial filter. It's better than I expected based on those awful initial press shots. But it's not better than my expectations of the limits of a spatial filter. It'll be interesting to compare it vs. Lanczos et. al.

I suppose there's a case to be made for another arrow in the quiver of upscaling techs that include DLSS2, TAAU/TSR, and other in-house temporal reconstructions (e.g. Insomniac). But all of those are starting from a hugely advantageous position of having multiple frames of input data. It's just not possible to make up for that handicap.

Essentially it's a really good steam engine when the world has moved on to electric/diesel (probably not a great analogy but that's how I perceive it).

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amd-fsr-antialiasing-discussion.62394/page-22#post-2211434
Open in Chrome, preferably on a 1440p screen, press icon for full screen, + there is another button for magnifying.
There are several screens, you can switch between them - Lanczos, SOTA offline Waifu2x upscaling + Native with CAS
Cool, thanks for putting this together.
Could you add a dab of sharpening (either CAS or a post-process unsharp mask) to the FSR image? I think that would make for a more even comparison.

Could you add a dab of sharpening (either CAS or a post-process unsharp mask) to the FSR image? I think that would make for a more even comparison.
You can download screens below and play with sharpening in irfanview or in some other viewer.
Lanc screen
FSR Ultra
Sharpening is technically already applied to both - CAS for the 1080p in low resolution and some kind of improved CAS is a part of FSR.
Internal resolution is mostly the same - 1080p for Lanczos upscaling and 1100p for FSR Ultra. FSR Ultra has slight resolution advantage, but it attempts to reconstruct edges, so some texture details might get washed out with such processing, some might get slight improvements (such as the aliased specular highlights in theory).

Back