Do I need a new case if I just bought a nice PSU?

Balooga

Newcomer
ok here's the deal, I just blew a lot of cash on a new GPU, CPU, Mobo, Ram and PSU. I'm putting it together myself (i've done this many times) but this is the most I've ever spent so I want to be extremely careful...

So everything's top notch. But I just didn't see the point in buying a new case since I just got the Antec 550W True PSU and I already have a case.

I just figured I'd pop out my old PSU from my old case and put the new one in. The only problem is my old case is really cheap. The thing about cases is I don't know if cheap price means cheap quality (the case not the PSU). I bought it at Fry's with 350W PSU for 40 bucks 11 months ago. So it's prob near worthless now. Here it is at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-002&catalog=7&depa=0

Anyways it has a fan at the side and one in the back. It also has about 4 fans inside. Now you'd figure this would be enough for anything so long as the CPU GPU and PSU have adequate cooling.

I tried to search about this but really couldn't find any good info. Most people who talk about getting a new case want them with PSU attached.

Please note that I don't plan to OC this system for a while. And when I do I'll get the super ultra uber cool master 6000.

Is this case good enough for now? I'm having major buyers remorse and I don't want to waste another 70+ bucks on something I may not need.

So what are the possible risks of keeping this cheap case? I don't care about looks or anything. Just need to know if the fan cooling is adequate and if there's higher possibility of the case causing shock to the mobo or something to that nature...

If any of you have built a high-end PC with a cheap case, please share your stories.

Here's my new system if it helps:
Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP Motherboard
Athlon 64 3400+ -Retail
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1024MB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
Sapphire 9800XT
ANTEC TRUE550 PSU
other misc stuff...

Thanks for your help

No you dont need a new case just cause you got a new PSU.

That case you linked though is cheap, and it shows. I would not advise getting it. No front intakes, and just a 60mm and some vents for the back? Ugh. Todays systems get hot, and need good air flow.

fallguy is absolutely correct. You dont really want to skimp on a good case. Look if you got top notch parts, you kinda want to make sure your case can cool the parts well. If you go cheap you might be sacrificing air flow, which the case you link to looks like it does.

for a bigger selection of cases go here:
http://www.directron.com/cases---case-fans-atx-cases.html
not a bad company. YOu can also use pricewatch.com to see if anyone sells the case you choose cheaper.

Spend at least 60 dollars on a good case,you wont regret it. Make sure that you do a proper job of wiring, if not done properly you can block airflow.

later,
epic

I've never spent more than $35 on a case, and while I've had to replace power supplies a couple of times because the ones that came with the case were cheap, the cases themselves work just fine. Most cases are rediculously overpriced and unnecessary, IMO. A case is just a piece of metal that you screw components into, and they all have to follow the same specification to make sure things will fit properly. Expensive cases only have 3 advantages:

1) Ease of installation (removable hard drive bays, etc.)

2) Fancy appearance (windows in the side, chrome/stainles steel panels)

3) More options/space for cooling systems (mounting holes for fans the size of airplane propellers, 3 cubic feet of empty space for "unrestricted airflow" etc.)

Since you typically only install the parts once, ease of installation isn't a very good selling point. If you spend as much time staring at your case as you do at your monitor, #2 might make it worth the extra cash for you. The only real valid point I can see is #3, but even then it's not necessary in most systems. I have a mid-tower with one intake fan and the only exhaust fan is on the power supply. I run an Athlon XP 1700+ at 2 GHz all day long and don't have any problems with crashes due to heat, even when gaming with the GF4 Ti4200. The heatsink you buy will affect your heat situation considerably more than any case will.

Crusher said:
Since you typically only install the parts once, ease of installation isn't a very good selling point.

I actually dont know of anyone who buys a new case when he upgrades his mobo. It is a good selling point about the ease of installation.

"2) Fancy appearance (windows in the side, chrome/stainles steel panels)"

Some people dont want a ugly beige tower, when their room is say, black and silver decorated.

"3) More options/space for cooling systems (mounting holes for fans the size of airplane propellers, 3 cubic feet of empty space for "unrestricted airflow" etc.)"

Nice exaggeration. Its not just about empty air space. The case he linked has ZERO air comming in from the front. Thats not a good idea at all. I also didnt see any vent holes on the side of the case, so those fans just blow hot air around, again not a good idea.

You can get a good Antec case for $80'ish. Its well worth it for me, perhaps not for you. The "points' you tried to make are you opinion, not facts.

Well, the *fact* is that you can install a computer into that case and it will run just fine, and for 1/4 the cost of an Antec case.

fallguy said:
The case he linked has ZERO air comming in from the front. Thats not a good idea at all. I also didnt see any vent holes on the side of the case, so those fans just blow hot air around, again not a good idea.

Actually, if you look at the pictures, there are two fan mountings in the front of the case that blow directly onto the hard drive bays, as well as a fan mounting (and included fan) on the side right over where the CPU is, in addition to a rear fan mounting and extra vent holes in the rear.

Just because they're opinions, doesn't make them wrong :)

Crusher said:
Actually, if you look at the pictures, there are two fan mountings in the front of the case that blow directly onto the hard drive bays, as well as a fan mounting (and included fan) on the side right over where the CPU is, in addition to a rear fan mounting and extra vent holes in the rear.

They can be.

I suggest you re-look at the pic. Sure there are fans, but as I said no holes. So, its blowing around hot air, the case air flow sucks.

Cheap cases to me are worthless. They are a pain to work on, and to install a PC in. Every time I have gotten one, Ive always regretted it.

Take into account that you will need to buy a new PSU, and the Antec's (or similar) are just a few dollars more, and well worth it.

fallguy said:
Crusher said:

They can be.

I suggest you re-look at the pic. Sure there are fans, but as I said no holes. So, its blowing around hot air, the case air flow sucks.

Cheap cases to me are worthless. They are a pain to work on, and to install a PC in. Every time I have gotten one, Ive always regretted it.

Take into account that you will need to buy a new PSU when buying a case such as this $20 job, and the Antec's (or similar) are just a few dollars more, and well worth it.

I think you're the one who needs to look at those pictures some more. Let me help you.

Holes in the back of the case, along with an exhaust fan mounting position:
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-156-002-13.JPG

Holes in the front of the case for mounting two intake fans:
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-156-002-12.JPG

The only place there aren't readily apparent holes is in the plastic front-cover, but typically there is space between the cover and the metal chasis which is open on the bottom, so fresh air can be drawn in from there. It isn't ideal, but it's far from having none. Additionally, air can be sucked in from the fan in the side cover that is positioned over the CPU.

I have a cheap case similar to that one, but I do not have a hole for a fan in the side cover like that one does. Is it warmer inside the case than it is in my room? A little bit. Does it stop the computer from working? Not at all. Did it save me $60? You bet your ass.

The other thing to watch out for with *some* cheap steel cases is sharp edges on the metal - can give you a nasty cut on the finger when installing stuff...

Gnep said:
The other thing to watch out for with *some* cheap steel cases is sharp edges on the metal - can give you a nasty cut on the finger when installing stuff...

And electric shocks... oh and when u close it, careful ur fingers don't get stuck. And don't try to fit a DVI cable into a VGA-out plug, it will NOT go in as hard as u try...

Back