Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

Does the Quest, and other modern headsets for that matter still have the halo effect that the original rift produced on white text on a black background?

Also.can quest play both native Oculus and SteamVR games from the PC wirelessly? I would also consider that a killer feature if so. Especially if it combines that with good inside out tracking.

All future VR headsets should have both those capabilities IMO, as well as a wired option for slower networks.

PSVR have no God rays. Quest have God rays, and it's bloody annoying until my brain take it as normal. Usually around 15 minutes in.

Wireless play on quest works fine. ALVR is free on github but have a bug where some people with Nvidia cards will get annoying stutter. No similar issue on radeon. Virtual desktop is paid, but have no stutter issue. It's laggier than ALVR.

The inside out tracking generally works great. But it can get wonky if room too dark or have too much brightness difference. Or when one of the lenses is dirty.

PSVR have no God rays. Quest have God rays, and it's bloody annoying until my brain take it as normal. Usually around 15 minutes in.

Wireless play on quest works fine. ALVR is free on github but have a bug where some people with Nvidia cards will get annoying stutter. No similar issue on radeon. Virtual desktop is paid, but have no stutter issue. It's laggier than ALVR.

The inside out tracking generally works great. But it can get wonky if room too dark or have too much brightness difference. Or when one of the lenses is dirty.

God Rays, that's the word I was looking for!

Inside out not working in a dark room could be a problem though as I prefer to VR in a dark room to prevent light bleed from the bottom of the headset.

Does the Quest, and other modern headsets for that matter still have the halo effect that the original rift produced on white text on a black background?

Also.can quest play both native Oculus and SteamVR games from the PC wirelessly? I would also consider that a killer feature if so. Especially if it combines that with good inside out tracking.

All future VR headsets should have both those capabilities IMO, as well as a wired option for slower networks.

cant answer the first as I've nothing to compare to. With regard to the second, there is a one time unofficial procedure you need to go thru, and afterwards it can natively play any steamVR rift compatible game, wirelessly. Basically it is downloading virtual desktop from oculus, then using sidequest to download the full virtual desktop. Process takes about 20 mins. There's a few youtube videos comparing oculus link versus wireless via VD. I've seen one that concludes that video is BETTER using wireless, at the expense of some lag. I'm early days so have not looked into playing rift games on the oculus store.

All the headsets have some amount of god rays even the psvr. The Index is worse than the rift s and quest but not as bad as the original cv1 or vive. The psvr is one of the better ones

All the headsets have some amount of god rays even the psvr. The Index is worse than the rift s and quest but not as bad as the original cv1 or vive. The psvr is one of the better ones

On my Psvr and my eyes the God rays only appear if the lense is dirty / foggy. When it's clean, no God rays.

cant answer the first as I've nothing to compare to. With regard to the second, there is a one time unofficial procedure you need to go thru, and afterwards it can natively play any steamVR rift compatible game, wirelessly. Basically it is downloading virtual desktop from oculus, then using sidequest to download the full virtual desktop. Process takes about 20 mins. There's a few youtube videos comparing oculus link versus wireless via VD. I've seen one that concludes that video is BETTER using wireless, at the expense of some lag. I'm early days so have not looked into playing rift games on the oculus store.
Out of the box, the video is better with ALVR wireless.

But if you configure the oculus link with oculus debug tool, oculus link becomes good.

ALVR lag is good enough for me. Here I am playing beat saber

Now if you could actually buy the Oculus Quest...

import from other country? but could take some time and dunno with the tax...
when i illegally imported my quest from singapore, a neighboring country, IIRC it took 1 week in total. Also a bit more expensive than importing from U.S. as U.S. price are the cheapest compared to any other country....

I take it you never tried PSVR?

As for playing in the dark apparently you can get infrared lamps that solve this problem.

As for playing in the dark apparently you can get infrared lamps that solve this problem.

yep, according to various posts on oculusquest subreddit, IR lamp works just fine.

Btw this makes me realized why my quest sometimes gets wonky when im infront of TV. I got kinect blasting the room with blinking infra red dots LOL. No wonder quest got wonky. Even the "pass thru" view mode is blinking.

On my Psvr and my eyes the God rays only appear if the lense is dirty / foggy. When it's clean, no God rays.
you must have a magical PSVR then. I have 3 of them at work and they all have god rays

at work I use over a dozen vr headsets some released and some not released. The psvr has godrays , its not as pronounced as on other headsets but its certainly there

I really can't see the God rays when the lenses are clean. But I can see them on oculus quest even with clean lenses.

Rather than magical Psvr, its probably the difference of each human's vision system. Because some people can't see the God rays in oculus quest.

Maybe similar to Samsung odyssey plus that for some people look blurry but for my eyes it looks awesome sharp with very minimum SDE. While oculus quest have very visible SDE, way worse than PSVR

I can see god rays on quest but only if it's white on black or black on white kind of scenes. Something like elite dangerous might be practical worst case. During half life alyx gameplay there is very few places where I would notice god rays. Similarly alyx palette is good on hiding sde effect unless one looks for it.

you must have a magical PSVR then. I have 3 of them at work and they all have god rays

at work I use over a dozen vr headsets some released and some not released. The psvr has godrays , its not as pronounced as on other headsets but its certainly there

Maybe tell me in what game and when you see them and I can have a look?

I've tried both AVLR and VirtualDesktop for wireless quest activities, and I ended up deciding VirtualDesktop (I'm using build 1.12.1) worked better for me. Insofar as latency is concerned, it's incredibly small but very much depends on both the speed of your wired + wireless networks and the encoding rate of your video card. I use a 1080Ti and I also use the sliced encoding function of VDesktop, and I've got commercial-grade wireless AP equipment in the house (FortiGate 60E powering three different FortiAP 421E's)

It's probably worth trying AVLR first as it's completely free.

Maybe tell me in what game and when you see them and I can have a look?
you can test in any high contrast game. Set your ipd towards the high or low end of the vr headset and you will start to notice them when you play. Its quite frustrating because when you get into a scenario when it happens its distracting since it happens rarely on the system.

Changes were made in the project I'm part of to reduce it accruing across all platforms

you can test in any high contrast game. Set your ipd towards the high or low end of the vr headset and you will start to notice them when you play. Its quite frustrating because when you get into a scenario when it happens its distracting since it happens rarely on the system.

Changes were made in the project I'm part of to reduce it accruing across all platforms
Does devs have a shortcut to adjust Psvr ipd or they also need to use the super annoyingly slow process like common folks?

Again a specific example would be needed. Perhaps all games I play were designed to hide it. SuperHot has black items on a white background but I haven’t seen anything.

Does devs have a shortcut to adjust Psvr ipd or they also need to use the super annoyingly slow process like common folks?

nope super annoying way only from what I can tell.

Again a specific example would be needed. Perhaps all games I play were designed to hide it. SuperHot has black items on a white background but I haven’t seen anything.
If you want to sign an NDA I can see if I can make it happen.
By avoiding high contrast scenes you can eliminate or drastically reduce god rays on all headsets. PSVR is in a locked down Eco system and has the benefit of games being tweaked for it
Superhot is not a good example because I don't really experience god rays with any of the headsets because of its muted contrast

Last edited:
To me it's funny that oculus decided to make the worst case appear as their logo during quest bootup. Talk about first impressions there. Maybe someone thought logo looks awesome with god rays, but yeah. Silly oculus folks.

Back