Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This still doesn't explain /clarify what he meant at all to me?
Is he saying that MS is making up excuses for not being as powerful as ps5?

I think we're going to hear a lot of PR language from both sides about "patented" or "exclusively designed" being tossed around when combating any shortcomings their respective systems may have when stacked against each other.

I think we're going to hear a lot of PR language from both sides about "patented" or "exclusively designed" being tossed around when combating any shortcomings their respective systems may have when stacked against each other.
Even if your right I don't see how what he says maps to that?

This still doesn't explain /clarify what he meant at all to me?
Is he saying that MS is making up excuses for not being as powerful as ps5?

With his later tweet included, he doesn't say anything about which is more powerful. If he knows.

But of course. Nobody in the know does openly (except Reiner?).

Even if your right I don't see how what he says maps to that?

I was suggesting that whatever Randy Pitchford was inferring about or hinting at, will be negated by Sony’s or Microsoft’s PR statements on minimizing any perceived console weaknesses when stacked against each other. In other words, Randy Pitchford words (tweets) will not mean sh** in the long run.

lol yea I'm quite skeptical he fully understands what he is posting.

Unless it's patented (like their VRS) I don't think it's much more than MS making slight modifications to an existing AMD block.

Yeah, what he describes about the "magic Virtual RAM mapping" sounds exactly like what HBCC does.

With his later tweet included, he doesn't say anything about which is more powerful. If he knows.

But of course. Nobody in the know does openly (except Reiner?).
First tweet saying sounds like ms using Moores law as excuse.
Second tweet talking about wanting ps5 and xsx to be simular.

So does sound like a power comparison to me, but first tweet especially, seems so bizarre that I don't think much makes sense. So I'm gonna put it down to him having some sort of an episode.

I don't know what his take is lol.

Seems he unimpressed by the supposed jump in performance. The One X tripled the performance of the base PS4 when going from 28nm to 16nm. Going from 16nm to 7nm, MS is only able to supposedly double up from the one X to the series X.

Agreed that would be an obvious baseline. I guess just thinking out loud; if HBCC doesn't care about symmetrical sources; then HBCC would be responsible for handling different memory chips?

I may be talking out my ass since I’m pulling a bunch of this from memory that really fuzzy.

HBCC treated vram like a last level cache and a portion of system ram like vram. How’s does that work on a console with a single pool of memory which treats a portion of its gddr pool as vram and the other portion as system ram? HBCC would be unnecessary for consoles.

Last edited:
When Tom Warren talked about Microsoft working on "SSD tech that allows devs to load larger data structures than the available GPU memory" I first thought he was talking about a pure software solution because of the previous tweet in that chain.

I know there has been speculation about the PS5 having something like this but... Could they be doing something similar to a scaled down variation of what the Radeon Pro SSG is doing? Would fit with the "large data structures" and might also fit with some of the things Phil Spencer has said about reducing latency.

Too many are stuck on price point, how many generation will it take to get past the stupid $399 US price point mentality
Power comes down to a marketing issue believe it or not, why? Because if they have no confidence in selling a system for more money and confidence in the hardware then the specs are going to suffer.

Any gamer would not blink at paying $100 more for a system that offers much more and that has a life span of over half a decade. If they don’t then it’s time to stick with current gen or take up walking the dog and throwing a frisbee.

Too many are stuck on price point, how many generation will it take to get past the stupid $399 US price point mentality.
Any gamer would not blink at paying $100 more for a system that offers much more and that has a life span of over half a decade. If they don’t then it’s time to stick with current gen or take up walking the dog and throwing a frisbee.
Well, I’d contend that ”any gamer” wouldn’t mind paying $500 more, and be free of console platform holder royalties, free to upgrade any component of their system as desired at any point in time suitable, free to choose rendering settings that suit their preferences in terms of responsiveness.

Yet, in spite of this, consoles enjoy a reasonable sales volume. And the main reason for that is price point. Because not all consumers are ”gamers”, not all buyers of consoles buy for themselves but for kids, and so on.

And always remember that there is a gaming platform called mobile, where the cost of entry is effectively zero for someone who has a smart device anyway.

It may be that the only reason the console business model survives is industry inertia. If I were a platform holder, I would be very very careful before rocking the boat in any major way, or they may loose even more casuals to mobile, and price others out of their walled gardens. (Microsoft probably wouldn’t mind too much if they lost gamers to Windows, but then again not too much profit will find its way into their pockets if so.)

I have no idea what Randy Pitchford is arguing for. Is he disappointed that Microsoft didn't build their own 5nm fab or something?

Randy Pitchford has no idea how hard it is to achieve 12 TFLOPs on 7nm in a console form factor and power consumption. He's somehow blaming Microsoft for the limits on fabrication processes and die sizes that are reallistic for mass producing at a scale of tens of millions per year, which can't come from nothing but sheer ignorance.

In the end, he's just attention whoring, and he's being successful at it.

Any publicity is good publicity. He's just attaching himself to the hot topic of the XSX.

Fair enough, he's just playing the game and getting publicity for himself, his studio, and their games. Ultimately, it's just noise. But so is Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back