Is VR going to die because of no software?

A year or two ago I was actually more worried that this generation of hardware would sell too well (ie. outside the VR enthusiast bubble) such that the significant hardware shortcomings and immature software market would cause people to eventually regret their purchases and be less likely to buy into the second or third generations. I think the fact that the VR install base (not including mobile) has been roughly doubling year over year since 2013 is a pretty respectable and healthy growth trend when compared to a boom of consumers that are buying into something out of ignorance or unjustified hype. I didn't like my Coleco Telstar, I was pretty indifferent to my neighbor's Atari 2600, but the NES was a revelation.

I don't think this will die, Shifty.

I think just about early times we are as VR just "born", uncorrect word as i aldeady explained.....as we had already the first coin up arcade prototypes in beginning 90s .......this is why the just born is not so correct.......just arrived to consumer's market is a more well suited one in my honest opinion. :)

And also in my opinion, i would think that Sony example havent said everything and all to us about their VR project, seeing also how was "evaded" the argument during the Playstation Experience 2016 centered on Pro and trailers on the new games coming next.......and only some scratches to VR......this could bring people to loose the sight on VR.....but in my opinion, Sony for THIS Christmas gave ALL JUICE to increase the customer base of PS4.

Pro model pushed to all customers not having one so new incomers.....or to all passionates and enthusiast that have 4K screens at home already.......adding, that chains like GameStop offered Pros at half price bringing back your old PS4 to em during Black Friday.........they can push second hand PS4 just retrieved to people who is not intending to spend a lot for it/who cannot afford to buy a new one......but translated in few words....is ALWAYS enlarging the customer base.

Customer base that tomorrow CAN BE INTERESTED IN PS VR!!!! .....as it works only if you own a PS4....no matter which kind! :)

This were the thoughts of Sony for this Christmas in my opinion.............so Shifty, in 2017 we will see for sure something incoming for the VR. :)

OH....just in time....i add a news of today just seen on an italian hardware known portal (Hardware Upgrade):

Link alla notizia: http://www.hwupgrade.it/news/wearabl...020_66191.html

Le più recenti stime Canalys decretano buoni risultati di vendita per i visori VR collegati a console o personal computer; sono però le stime per il 2020 a far capire quanto importante potrà essere questo settore

Translation: The most recent evaluations Canalyst are decretating good selling results for VR visors related to console (PS VR) and PC (Oculus Rift and HTC Vive). 2 Millions sold already on consumer's market.

I confirm........this is not gonna to die so soon, Shifty. :)

Maybe instead of throwing around haphazard newspaper url-s and megaphoning new-age revelations, you guys should stick with the program,and to get along with Shifty's "pessimist realistic analyst hat" , you need some set of new, unwhimsical outfits
before we end up with
"Wardrobe Malfunctions" .

Are not hapazard url-s the one like Canalys (that stay for Channels Analysts)........it should be real data.

And to make "realistic analysis" you need for sure a real data history to base your analysis on.

Else...are only suppositions you made basing on your thoughts.

I charged 2 USD for 5 minutes play of Psvr and I got queue of queue. (context: 2 dollars is a lot of money that can get you 2 full meals with drinks)

Seems popular enough.

I charged 2 USD for 5 minutes play of Psvr and I got queue of queue. (context: 2 dollars is a lot of money that can get you 2 full meals with drinks)

Seems popular enough.
But this gives food for a thought I've had before. Wouldn't the arcade model, with VR quioscs at malls and such be better suited for this expensive novel technology? It solves the price problem, solves the set up problem, solves the short experiences problem... Maybe the jumped the gun on VR as a consumer product.

Aside from that, I see personal home VR is here to stay at least as a good accessory for the niche of racing sims, flying sims, pimball sims, and maybe a few other use cases, just like there is a niche for racing wheels peripherals, arcade sticks, plane cockpit joysticks and etc. There is a steady market for those accessories, but they still aren't mainstream, and probably never will be. If anything, I think at least that market VR can rest assured it's got. As for everything else... Maybe only when it's considerably cheaper and simpler to use/set-up.

Seems popular enough.
Gah! There isn't any argument that VR as a concept is unpopular or unappealing! Does it have legs?! Do people who try VR on someone else's VR headset go, "wow, that's so awesome" and rush out and buy their own? Do people who buy VR headsets use them frequently and, most importantly, buy content with enough regularity for it to be economically sustainable? These are the questions that matter. That someone's building a new VR headset, or creating a new VR open platform, or writing a PSVR Windows driver, or any other 'good news for VR', doesn't change the economic argument. The only good news that would apply to the argument would be:

1) News that VR sales are healthy and steady or, even better, increasing such that lots of new blood is entering the sector.
2) News that crazy amounts of money is being invested to create loads of content so that developers have a significant pool to call upon and dabble without fear of economic failure at retail.

If we look at that Good News article about 2 million headsets sold, the projections are 20 million by 2020. That's not really a lot (sorta GameCube numbers), and would include current gen (by then lousy quality) headsets - active headsets may be a smaller fraction of this, spread over multiple platforms. So even that article, like the 'Facebook investing $250 million' story, isn't particularly good suggestion of a solid future for the next few years of VR. Sales of VR headsets over the next year will be the most revealing metric - they ought to be well up on this year

Aside from that, I see personal home VR is here to stay at least as a good accessory for the niche of racing sims, flying sims, pimball sims, and maybe a few other use cases, just like there is a niche for racing wheels peripherals, arcade sticks, plane cockpit joysticks and etc. There is a steady market for those accessories, but they still aren't mainstream, and probably never will be. If anything, I think at least that market VR can rest assured it's got. As for everything else... Maybe only when it's considerably cheaper and simpler to use/set-up.
That might well be the future. VR experiences at theme parks etc., until the experience is properly refined and cheap enough for home play.

That might well be the future. VR experiences at theme parks etc., until the experience is properly refined and cheap enough for home play.
While still a bit niche, I could see VR TV being really cool for several genres: nature, travel, history. Unsure how well VR works in large settings, as in theory the audio tracks the head movements and a theater for example assumes a viewer in the very center looking directly forward the entire time. The economics I'd agree aren't quite there yet. A $100 headset for certain movie experiences is likely sustainable. Just need to build off that and I'm sure costs get better in time.

Man, just that first minute of the X-Wing VR mission ... it's much like the Matrix loading screen! I want more of that :)

Hope Fruit Ninja VR makes it to PS4 soon, in early access now on Vive. And Ace Combat looks amazing, shame it's just a few missions. Anyone here play Resident Evil 7 yet? I don't think I could enjoy that personally ...

Hope Fruit Ninja VR makes it to PS4 soon, in early access now on Vive. And Ace Combat looks amazing, shame it's just a few missions. Anyone here play Resident Evil 7 yet? I don't think I could enjoy that personally ...
Fruit Ninja has been available for PSVR for ages!
Yes, RE7 is imo the killer app for PSVR, it really is something to experience if you can handle the horror. Even if you feel like you couldn't you might want to try. For me it's been like stepping out of my comfort zone and doing something that I really feel I've achieved when I overcome my fears.

Last edited:
And Ace Combat looks amazing, shame it's just a few missions.
Just a few missions?
Are you saying they didn't make the whole game available for VR? That's preposterous!

1) News that VR sales are healthy and steady or, even better, increasing such that lots of new blood is entering the sector.
2) News that crazy amounts of money is being invested to create loads of content so that developers have a significant pool to call upon and dabble without fear of economic failure at retail.

I would first ask if VR passes the amusement ride test. The first generation of headsets in the 90s didn't so why do people think it will be different this time around. I would then ask if the major core issues (and when I say core issues I don't mean display, sensor and processing) of high cost of input, and physical to virtual world interaction had been solved.

So here are my conclusions.

The graphics are better due to display and processing power advancements and the head tracking is better through improved sensors.... but actually navigating and interacting with a virtual world didn't get better. Outlook: Not so good.

Its the same conclusion I came to when I tired the Wiimote and Kinect last generation. The Power Glove and the U-Force offered the same thing more than a decade ago and the same exact core issues didn't improve at all: High cost of input and poor physical to virtual world feedback.

No. VR isn't going to die anymore than 3D televisions died, it's just gonna find itself relegated to a notch in history about when it had its day in the sun and faded out because it wasn't ready for prime time and had been over-hyped and under delivered for way too long.

It will eventually catch on, mebbe. When VR units get below the $200 mark for a good pair that won't make you puke/dizzy and are plug-n-play easy enough for my mother to hook up, THEN we'll see some people willing to risk the time/money on software for it.

Right now, it's just a fad. I believe I've mentioned that before, mebbe even for a few years now. :p

Well then it looks like my prophecies of doom for it all this time are finally coming true then. :(

I'm not happy about it, I WANTED VR to work and be super cool...but the tech isn't quite there yet and they started over-hyping it way too soon and even now I think they seem to be trying to sell a product that just doesn't exist yet to a market that can't afford it. :(

AR is my next big hope, I've been hearing/following some great things about it. Seems safter/better than VR, and it can steal a lot of their technologies to make it work. ;)

Back