AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno, tbh. But Tonga - albeit having less raw memory bandwidth than Tahitit admittedly - did not fare tooooooo much better than it's ancestor despite modernized (read: doubled) front-end ressources. I'm skeptical.

There's actually 9 gbps GDDR5 from Micron IIRC. Albeit at a hefty 1.59 volts.

Ah I see what you are saying.

1x6pin card with that feature set and performance level is just screaming to be put in my HTPC for a full gaming experience.

Or 2 of those in my desktop if I somehow find a way to sell my 290Xs for a similar price.
A larger VRAM pool, lower noise, lower heat output and lower power consumption would be very welcome.

Plus that HEVC and HDMI 2.0 are bound to make a difference in 4K streamed content.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is strange is that back awhile ago the 67DF:C4 Polaris was shown to be using GDDR5X (10gbps like 1080), now I appreciate the presentation back then said GDDR5X or GDDR5 depending upon availability and that the photo was back before they had made their business decision; heard the image goes back to Capsaicin.
AMD_Polaris10_GManager-1.jpg

http://vrworld.com/2016/04/13/amd-polaris-10-gpu-beat-competing-pascal/

That said the nvidia 1070 did not suffer it seems going with the Samsung 8Gb/s GDDR5, and maybe AMD decided the same for their 480/x GPU, but wonder how late in the day they made that decision.
Cheers

At least, the slide seems to imply that RX480 can do it with half the power (at max) as well, it seems.
PCI Express slot provides some power so the factor here is less than half (i.e. RX480 will consume more than half the power).

That said the nvidia 1070 did not suffer it seems going with the Samsung 8Gb/s GDDR5, and maybe AMD decided the same for their 480/x GPU, but wonder how late in the day they made that decision.
It seems unlikely to me that RX480 needs the bandwidth that GDDR5X provides.

What is strange is that back awhile ago the 67DF:C4 Polaris was shown to be using GDDR5X (10gbps like 1080), now I appreciate the presentation back then said GDDR5X or GDDR5 depending upon availability and that the photo was back before they had made their business decision; heard the image goes back to Capsaicin.

Cheers

Or just 5Gbps GDDR5, like on this early run: http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_r...e6d7e7d1e1d3e1c7b588b89efb9ea393b5c6fbc3&l=en

Latest C7 result is 8Gbps: http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_r...efdce5d4e7d5e7c1b38ebe98fd98a595b3c0fdc5&l=en

This kind of press release says 250-300€ / ~$249 MSRP: http://www.pcwelt.de/news/Radeon-R9-480-AMD-stellt-neues-Spitzenmodell-vor-9987718.html

AMD_Polaris10_GManager-1.jpg

Cheers

Funnily enough, 1.250 MHz memory clock as well as a device ID beginning with 67 can both also point to the original Hawaii cards with some OC or Hawaii refresh with some UC. ;)

Maybe the 480X does bring GDDR5X but its clocks are below 10GT/s in order to get lower-binned chips and/or lower their voltage (and save power)
For example, the 290/X had 6GT/s chips but only clocked them at 5GT/s.

PCI Express slot provides some power so the factor here is less than half (i.e. RX480 will consume more than half the power).

Agreed, just strange that going back all that time ago the soon to be released GPU was seen with 10Gb/s GDDR5X and now not mentioned.
Seems either presentation slide fake, AMD decided to switch back to GDDR5, or they still intend to use it (which seeems unlikely as it really does not make much difference to the 1070).
Cheers

Yes, I'm fully aware of that and that's why I calculated it in. 75 and 75 watts respectively for slot and 6-pin connector, so 150 watt altogether, strictly going by spec. Whereas Hawaii XT had a 6- and an 8-pin connector as well as the slot. 300 watts altogether - of which a max of 150 watts is half, I think.

Fair point.

Maybe the 480X does bring GDDR5X but its clocks are below 10GT/s in order to get lower-binned chips and/or lower their voltage (and save power)
For example, the 290/X had 6GT/s chips but only clocked them at 5GT/s.

Brings us back to the murky rumours of what is exactly being released for next 3 months in terms of Polaris 10 and the highest model number.
Still nothing to suggest a 480x model with higher performance than the 5.5Tflop rumour-leak so far, but may exist *shrug*.

Cheers

Videocardz is saying that Polaris will have Carrizo's (and Bristol Ridge's) AVFS:

bntoN3.jpg

Funnily enough, 1.250 MHz memory clock as well as a device ID beginning with 67 can both also point to the original Hawaii cards with some OC or Hawaii refresh with some UC. ;)
LOL good point,
well that would be even more depressing as that was also with a wider bit-bus on Hawaii, which GDDR5X helps to offset.
In my optimism I am staying with that early version was with GDDR5X with that clock MHz :)

Cheers

Last edited:
For 1070 using gddr5 is a good way to differentiate - ie keep overclocked versions at distance from the 1080. On the other hand for the top Polaris offering it could make sense to provide it with faster than neccessary memory to squeeze out the last bit of performance.

So polaris want to sell the idea that it is a 970/80 Gtx at what? 130 watts?. Strange when at 28nm the own 970 barely had a tdp of 145 watts and now at 16nm the 1070 is 150 watts and 980ti performance.

For 1070 using gddr5 is a good way to differentiate - ie keep overclocked versions at distance from the 1080. On the other hand for the top Polaris offering it could make sense to provide it with faster than neccessary memory to squeeze out the last bit of performance.
It needs to be the latest GDDR5 memory though at 8Gb/s.
Just mentioning as a point of reference.
Cheers

I don't think these specs are sufficient to get anywhere close to a 1070, so the real question becomes: how much faster than a 1060 will it be? (And how much faster to market?)
That's going to be the key part of the AMD value story.

I hoped a 290 non x type of card. Very powerfull, but very nice price from the start. It seems it won't be powerfull enough to upgrade my 290... (I hoped fury performances, more "futur proof" with 8gb and new cgn architecture, with less heat outpout and better price...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back