NPD December 2015 Sales Results

What's the current PS4/Xbone gap in the US?

I don't see what MS can do to push their sales over PS4 in the 1st half of 2016, so the gap will continue to get bigger.
~1.3M it seems.

Seeing as how the PS4 has a strong 2016 software lineup and is now at price parity with XB1, the ONLY thing they can do is drop the price to 299. Last year I believe the XB1 only outsold the PS4 twice and the PS4 was more expensive with arguably a weaker software lineup. One of the months the XB1 outsold the PS4 (October) was probably because quite a few sales were lost and carried over to November from Battlefront/Black Ops pre-orders.

Having a price advantage is the only way they can close the gap IMO, but it will be difficult because the PS4 is just as cheap to produce AFAIK.

Last edited:
Seeing as how the PS4 has a strong 2016 software lineup and is now at price parity with XB1, the ONLY thing they can do is drop the price to 299.

IMO, that won't help much. Being $50 cheaper for almost whole year did not help MS when PS4 was $399. Market sees PS4 as more desirable than $50 cheaper competition.

What's really surprising about all this is that there isnt ANY exclusive in the top 10 sales. And no Halo 5!! Farewell Halo?

IMO, that won't help much. Being $50 cheaper for almost whole year did not help MS when PS4 was $399. Market sees PS4 as more desirable than $50 cheaper competition.
299 vs 349 is different than 349 vs 399 though IMO. 299 is nearing impulse buy territory. If MS permanently drops the price early this year and Sony doesn't respond, then I think that the XB1 will trade blows with the PS4 throughout the year (in the US).
What's really surprising about all this is that there isnt ANY exclusive in the top 10 sales. And no Halo 5!! Farewell Halo?
Sony didn't really have a AAA exclusive that released near the holidays, they relied on third-party software. I am surprised Halo didn't crack the top 10.

Another surprise (for me) is how well R6 Siege sold.

Can someone deciper this MS PR?

"Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015"

Can someone deciper this MS PR?

"Xbox One is the best place for gamers and the only console that has all top 10 best-selling titles of this generation that launched in 2015"

Basically, there was an Xbox One SKU for every one of the top 10 best selling games of 2015 that released in 2015.

In this top 10 there are 9 multiplat games and Halo 5.

Microsoft is saying that the Xbox One is the only console to have a SKU for all of those top 10 games.

Basically, there was an Xbox One SKU for every one of the top 10 best selling games of 2015 that released in 2015.

Isn't this the list of the 10 best selling games in 2015?:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  3. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
  6. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  8. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  9. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
  10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
In this top 10 there are 9 multiplat games and Halo 5.

Halo 5 isn't there? Am I missing something?

Because one of these games were released in 2014? Well, that's not a very complimentary stat for Halo 5 it must be said.

Edit: it's also a VERY obscure statistic to derive.

Reminds me of the saying: "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Isn't this the list of the 10 best selling games in 2015?:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  3. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
  6. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  8. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  9. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
  10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Halo 5 isn't there? Am I missing something?

Because Grand Theft Auto V, Minecraft and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare did not release in 2015. They were originally released in 2014.

So when you exclude those games and include the other 3 games that fit the criteria then Halo 5 is included and as the PR says, there is an Xbox One SKU for each game.

Yes, it's just Microsoft spin. A pointless statistic that is really stretching.

For fun I thought I'd write a quick Nintendo PR release:

"The continued triumph of the WiiU has been again exceeded in 2015 when compared to 2014, Nintendo have had more WiiU consoles sold in 2015 than any other Nintendo console. This demonstrates that our fans engagement is higher than ever before. Out of all the manufacturers, our console has both the highest number of exclusive games and the highest Metacritic average scores of any! Not only do we sell more consoles to mums than anyone else, but our sales of toy accessories are higher than both Microsoft and Sony; the WiiU has exceeded all Xboxes and Playstations across all their generations combined. We’re also very happy to say that WiiU console sales were 3:1:1 to our competition (according to the Angolian Chart Track). Therefore we think you’ll agree that WiiU is the best place for gamers as it's the only console that has all 10 of Nintendo’s first-party games available for it."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said this before, but I think that Sony played it safe last year and MS caught them off guard with their aggressive pricing.
Arguably Sony played it smart last year. I recall there was lots of speculation that the sales by Xbox in November and December could be the start of a turn around but that didn't happen. The global gap has seemingly only widened in the following twelve months and it didn't cost Sony cutting into their Holiday 2014 profit margins with an unecessary price cut.

Sony's grasp of the market seems spot on.

Arguably Sony played it smart last year. I recall there was lots of speculation that the sales by Xbox in November and December could be the start of a turn around but that didn't happen. The global gap has seemingly only widened in the following twelve months and it didn't cost Sony cutting into their Holiday 2014 profit margins with an unecessary price cut.

Sony's grasp of the market seems spot on.

Sony are back into a PS2 era of executing based on their needs and not in response to anyone else.

MS have nothing left to challenge Sony's momentum. PSN is a match for XBLive now, third party games are almost always better, they have more and more popular exclusives, and the console itself is smaller and nicer to boot. Sony also understood how important early momentum was, and how they had to connect with the core, early adopting gamer from day one. It's like Sony looked at the PS2 and the XBox 360 and learned every lesson they could, while MS threw out the playbook they wrote when creating the 360.

MS have to get out ahead of Sony next generation, and with the most outrageously large GPU they can manufacture. Otherwise they are dead out of the gate in Europe because they will have nothing to gain traction with.

Its like a step away from fanboy frothing here guys, let's dial it down....remember this is just about sales.

Although i personally doubt MS will have anywhere near an easy time this year. A ton of crazy good games are gonna be released for Sony's machine that, while may not sell on the level of AAA games, will surely bring good review scores and positive word of mouth about them, and further Sony's momentum(Persona 5 in particular i think will be a surprise hit with far more people than expected)

Its a mistake if MS thinks they can afford to keep all their efforts at the end of the year instead of engaging Sony throughout, because as was seen last year, if even your end of the year effort isn't as good as the competitions, you have a problem if that's what you were saving the entire year on.

EL75RnA.jpg

Back