Console design and manufacturing comparison - effective cooling yada yada *spawn

The Ps4 gathers tons of dust and can become noisy over time. Luckily i have tons of experience with hardware working on different PC builds so it was pretty easy taking it apart and changing thermal paste + cleaning the dust(did the same thing for Ps3 and 360, both were harder to disassemble than Ps4). I don't even have the latest SKU and it's completely silent. I can totally understand people who don't want to tinker with the hardware though (even just cleaning off the dust).

As an additional note, Peanutbutteronpickles keeps delivering A+ grade posts, i love reading this stuff, almost as good as Portal 2 tbh :yep2:

Last edited:
There are some design choices on the PS4 which makes it less noisy than XB1 during media playback, but more noisy during gaming. That is a very interesting engineering discussion in itself.

Be happy, because last gen we had lawnmower and helicopter noise levels. People who had a launch model suffered major hearing loss, that's why they think this gen is silent. :runaway:

I'm sure of it. I am a expert.

The Ps4 gathers tons of dust and can become noisy over time.
You know there is a process called "cleaning" that mitigates dust build up. I find it quite effective although if you like being surrounded by dead skin..

What are the chances we see a "slim" version in 2016 from either Microsoft or Sony. I think it is high for Xbox seeing how big it is.

What are the chances we see a "slim" version in 2016 from either Microsoft or Sony. I think it is high for Xbox seeing how big it is.
I recently just setup a Xbox One and was surprise that it actually wasn't even big relative to some other consoles, though it can be perceive that way. What blew me away was as I finished scratching my Gears of War codes, I said to myself "ok, let me turn this console on" and realized the Xbox One was still turned on sitting in the Gears of War main menu, I said "no way!!".

If anything, a mechanical hard drive has no place in a console.

I recently just setup a Xbox One and was surprise that it actually wasn't even big relative to some other consoles, though it can be perceive that way. What blew me away was as I finished scratching my Gears of War codes, I said to myself "ok, let me turn this console on" and realized the Xbox One was still turned on sitting in the Gears of War main menu, I said "no way!!".

If anything, a mechanical hard drive has no place in a console.
Forgot about that particular generation. The Xbox One is quiet.

Enjoy the New Years, guys : )

Back