Xbox : What should MS do next? *spawn

I'm pretty sure MS will have a select a free game of your choice bundle around Star Wars and COD: BO as well. They did it with Destiny...

What should Microsoft do next? More ads like this.

Larry Hryb could become Microsoft's Kevin Butler. I miss Kevin Butler.

I believe he preceded Kevin Butler. Also unlike KB, he is an actual MS employee in their PR division and not just an actor.

I thought it was pretty corny actually. KB's commercials were much better, but those were professionally done.

I believe he preceded Kevin Butler. Also unlike KB, he is an actual MS employee in their PR division and not just an actor.
Kevin Butler wasn't real? Damn, I genuinely believed was a proper executive holding the positions of Director of Game Accuracy, VP of Big Action Moments, Chief Weaponologist, VP of First Person Shooter Relations, VP of PS3 Softball Team, Regional Manager of War, VP of Inspiration & Perspiration, VP of Virtual Pet Relations, VP of Family Showdowns, VP of Add More Awesome, VP of Infinite Infinity, VP of The Cold Hard Truth, VP of Silent But Deadly, VP of Heroic Actions, Director of Rumor Confirmation, VP of Enough is Enough, Family Activities Director, VP of Epic Footage, VP of Blu-ray Superiority, VP of Big Deal Deal Making, VP of Fanboy Relations, VP of Epic Gaming for All, VP of Family Funterventions, VP of Bringin' It in 3D, VP of Apologetic Apologies, VP of Realistic Movements, VP of Artistic Modification, VP of Still Got It, VP of Sharpening Things and VP of Explosions.

Microsoft should do a spoof series of ads featuring Bevin Kutler. :yes:

I'm sure they were going for cheesy. Anyway, I liked it.

The rumours and speculation are symptomatic of Microsoft not reporting Xbox Division's net income
Maybe, maybe not. Xbox Original as Microsoft's first console and Xbox 360's RRoD problems were enough reasons to make this speculation and rumors happen.
I'm not not curious about Xbox Division's finances because because of the rumours and speculation, I'm curious about Xbox Division's finances because Microsoft refuse to report them fully.
Microsoft refuse to report "any other division financial results" fully. But I'm also curious to know more about Xbox division's finances.
which is also what happens to be driving the rumours and speculation
Not necessarily.
And many of Microsoft's profits may seem low for Apple but nobody is making comparisons like this because the companies are very different.
That wasn't my point. Xbox may be as profitable as Playsation, and yet some people in Microsoft may think that it's irrelevant to Microsoft.
That and activist investors have been pushing for the company to get out of the business or spin it off if it really has value.
And yet Satya Nadella was at Xbox E3 2015 conference and is investing more money on Xbox.
And of course this analyst, who has been following MS for decades, was criticized by many gamers for this claim:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...osses-hidden-by-patent-royalties-says-analyst
And Michael Pachter was analyzing game industry for years.

Maybe, maybe not. Xbox Original as Microsoft's first console and Xbox 360's RRoD problems were enough reasons to make this speculation and rumors happen.

And the rumours would be baseless if Microsoft reported Xbox Division's net income. Or not baseless. But at least we'd know.

Not necessarily.

Ok, I'll grant you that modern media will report any whiff of doom and gloom but the lack of details isn't helping.

Predictions--

Microsoft to apply liquid cooling tech it showed off in Surface and Lumia last week to Xbox One and produce a liquid cooled, 16nmFinet, Xbox One set-top streaming box inspired by AMD's Project Quantum in 2016-17.

Microsoft will acquire Radeon Technologies Group from AMD, also in 2016-17, for the strategic advantage of owning and customizing the graphics tech in Xbox, Surface Book, and future devices.

Expect major disruption in the console space over the next two years.

Predictions--

Microsoft to apply liquid cooling tech it showed off in Surface and Lumia last week to Xbox One and produce a liquid cooled, 16nmFinet, Xbox One set-top streaming box inspired by AMD's Project Quantum in 2016-17.

Microsoft will acquire Radeon Technologies Group from AMD, also in 2016-17, for the strategic advantage of owning and customizing the graphics tech in Xbox, Surface Book, and future devices.

uh-uh

:confused: Surface Book uses Intel and nVidia.

He's not saying it currently uses it, but predicting in 2016-2017 it could switch over to it.

Predictions--

:confused: Surface Book uses Intel and nVidia.

So?
The Surface I'm typing on has an NVIDIA processor. OG Xbox was NVIDIA. They didn't stay the supplier for either.

Surface Book 1 (and maybe 2?), NVIDIA.. Surface Book 3...MS custom in-house GPU..?? Possibly.. Why did MS just buy Havok, is there a bigger picture that would fit nicely with an AMD acquisition? Combination local and cloud computing on a proprietary GPU in a future MS device?

The Surface dock just gives MS another legitimate reason to invest in AMD and use the graphics IP in a MS device besides Xbox. Windows OEM's can keep using NVIDIA.. MS needs to move onto custom proprietary chips and AMD is cheap for the taking.

Or should MS let Apple or Samsung buy AMD?

Predictions--

Smaller doesn't necessarily mean better. Look at the A9 TSMC vs Samsung problems for the iPhone. But sure logically, there will be a smaller chip of some sort. Also, the Xbox team already had/has a hand in Surface hardware. It was mentioned in the Windows 10 devices presentation. So they're probably more than jazzed that they could purely launch a product, with those lasting first impressions, free of fud.

For the rest of your post, probably not. "Mobile first, cloud first", says the CEO. Remember that, and software and services. There's currently around 100 million windows 10 installations, all able to run the Xbox App. Surely there's at least 10 million of those capable of running at an Xbox One performance minimum.

Look at all the streaming devices launching, with little local storage, voice/motion control, subscription services, and so on. Or refactored, look at all the always-on devices launching, with DRM so that you can't trade your content, and NSA backdoors :).

I think you need to look beyond an overpowered physical box like feedback thought it was steering towards, and listen to the words and look at the actions of the company. Now that it's acceptable (see previously mentioned devices) and the sheer numbers mentioned above, I would think Xbox from now on as more like a Windows 10 device or service that gets to Azure. And that includes what's left of the current Xbox One.

How about in 2017/2018 seeing a Surface Book 3 carrying a Zen+GCNx+HBM2 APU that is 100% compatible with XBone titles at increased resolutions?

Predictions--

Sounds more like wishful thinking than anything based in reality. Would have thought anti-trust laws at the very least would cock-block any purchase of AMD by MS.

Samsung are more likely to buy up AMD than MS, or even some Chinese tech company.

Sounds more like wishful thinking than anything based in reality. Would have thought anti-trust laws at the very least would cock-block any purchase of AMD by MS.

Samsung are more likely to buy up AMD than MS, or even some Chinese tech company.

Why? MS buying the graphics arm of AMD doesn't naturally decrease the number of OS providers nor GPU providers unless MS's plan is to stop selling discrete GPUs.

MS seems to be full steam ahead in terms of becoming both a hardware/software company and transitioning using a strategy that includes acquisitions seems the logical course of action.

With the surface team and Panos on the game, we will get a box the size of a current generation power brick that can display real time physical holograms in 4k (my prediction for 2017). QB2 is going to give you new forms of headaches when it breaks into your living room.

<spoiler>I do have the flu, so results may vary...</spoiler>

I would love to see the hardware they could develop if consoles had a larger selling price.

Back