Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
More stuff from the Wikihuman data...

http://www.cgfeedback.com/cgfeedback/showpost.php?p=65107&postcount=449

front1.png

Mind you, this is based on a person without make-up, it's not what you'd expect to see from a regular photoshoot or in a movie.

Is that in a game? Details looks amazing, but the eyes freak me out. Can't pin-point the reason though.

It's not ingame, it's obviously offline rendered. However the datasets on Wikihuman are very accurately captured, not only geometry but reflectance and I think even skin translucency (to a level) - and such acquisition methods are already available to games. So some if this will eventually find its way into games, probably within the current generation. I've already seen a lot of scan data from various places and their quality gets better and better...

Skin texture looks immense. Not sure about the fuzz and the eyebrows look completely wrong.

Amazing progression though.

Yeah we usually tweak a lot of these additional elements like the fuzz in post to get the right look. I'm also thinking that taking such an accurate picture with such DOF settings and all should be pretty complicated to do in real life photography, if possible at all.

I should also point out that these series of renders I'm posting here are from a bunch of different people looking into the data that's been shared on the Wikihuman website. Probably also using different renderers sometimes and all. Nice as they are, my main point here is the source data - it's level of accuracy and detail and such. Because it is so realistic, it should be a good example for people looking into realtime human characters.
Oh and the other important part is how you're using this source data and how you're presenting it. Simple studio light conditions and outdoor settings are good to study the details, but most appearances in any kind of entertainment media have lots of additional factors, like complex lighting or make-up and so on. I have yet to see images from this scan in a movie-like setting, for example.

Yeah we usually tweak a lot of these additional elements like the fuzz in post to get the right look.

It kind of looks like the eyebrows are comprised of the same fuzz as the rest of the face but removing any transparancy and instead colouring them black. Also increasing their frequency?

Fuzz and facial hair must be very difficult to get right, especially considering people have varying amount of hair on their faces. My own hair is more dense in the goatie area and more sparse on the cheeks. I'd guess to accurately replicate these variances you'd need to have fuzz fields where the section density can vary from model to model. That'd prevent them from all looking kind of similar.

We use texture maps to drive various attributes of the "fur" and guide curves as well for the "hair". That's basically the main difference between the two approaches.
Also, we're still using hand modeled eyelashes, we get more control over them this way...

Not sure about the rendering part though, I think Arnold (our renderer, not the actor ;)) has custom primitives for that and some more complex shaders and such.

One thing i am looking forward to when Uncharted 4 ships is to check this exact scene and compare (which i am sure it is the first thing DF will cover):
yibing-jiang-10450091-866470210036967-7848675158992496279-o.jpg

yibing-jiang-frank-tzeng-u4-teaser-screen4.jpg

Some artists and programmers from ND already claimed that it's running real-time, calling it "real-time rendered in-game".

Oh not again, we covered that 10 times already. :) They called it real-time using 20 different ways, I think they failed to find any new way to call it real. :D

It's an interesting case though, we all know how vocal the internet can get when it comes to "downgrades", if they don't meet that, whatever it was, they are sure to hear the term "downgrade" a whole lot.

Remedy just showcased brand new cast of Quantum Break! They have removed old main character and switched it with Hollyood actor Shawn Ashmore [not to be confused... with his identical twin brother Arron who currently staring in the very fun TV show "Killjoys"].

image_quantum_break-29063-2722_0004.jpg

Rest of the Hollywood cast includes Aidan Gillen from Game of Thrones
06Drdfw.png

NmfRn9I.png

and Dominic Monaghan from Lost [his in-game face looks different]
pST5l3P.png

You can see them in motion here

I liked the original better. Btw was everything real time? Some of that footage looks incredibly good

I don't understand why Remedy still pursues game + live action route when their in game characters look this good. When MS dropped the whole "TV Sports TV" aspect, they should have changed QB to full game only. Now no matter how good characters look, live action will remind everyone that they still look "fake". Flaws and tech limitations are always easier to see in scenario such as this.

The white suit soldiers look great in the game footage and pretty cheap and terrible in the live action clips they've show. I do find it very odd too that the did the live action thing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, i don't like the idea of TV show + game either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back