Sony is bleeding money - business strategy discussion

I wonder if the tablet Z4 will help Mobile, it's a beast according to leaks/rumors.

There was too little improvements from Z1 to Z2, they skipped the Z3 update and just made an 8 inch Z3 compact.
Now there's a really big bump for the Z4. They keep having weird holes in their line up (at least for the tablets).

https://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/status/565590475495989248
https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/565587111353778179
http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-everquest-studio-today-1685243961

So the studio formerly known as SOE is supposedly firing 40% to 50% of the staff. Including the director of EQN.
Holy crap that sucks, the guy I trusted the most for EQN was Dave G. Now I lost all hope that EQN will be any good. If it ever comes out.

As part of a strategic decision to rationalize the business, Daybreak Game Company announced today that it will eliminate positions in both its San Diego and Austin studios. This alignment of resources better positions the newly independent studio for future growth opportunities and developments, including delivering on its legacy of making top online games and establishing a solid foundation for future multi-platform success. These reductions will not affect the operation of current games and the company will continue on its mission to partner with its player community to drive the future and push the boundaries of online gaming.
There's no way SOE was anywhere near profitable if they do this so quickly, and so big.

This empty corporate speak will not go down well with the community. But as I said, if the alternative was to close it down completely, the good new is that at least 50% kept their jobs. For now.

Last edited:
Yes, I mentioned the improved stock outlook in an earlier post. My broker suggested buying Sony stock a few weeks ago, which really caught me by surprise. It's not that I don't think Sony can turn it around - it's clearly just a matter of time - I just hadn't realised others were paying that much attention to them since the company are often attributed with losses, diminishing markets and downsizing.

I bought 200 shares and figure they'll probably double or triple in a couple of years as long as Ken Kutaragi isn't allowed back on the Board. Sony (and Apple) are two of the few big tech companies I am allowed to trade in; many of the others have Government or defence contracts so I have to avoid out of fear of insider trader allegations.

It's a bit of a gamble either way. Things are certainly looking better-ish.

However, a large part of the last quarter's success was due in part to the favorable impact of foreign exchange rates. As noted in their quarterly results.

On a constant currency basis sales are expected to decrease by 1% year on year.

That's compared to their forecast for the Quarter ending Dec. 31, 2014 of sales increasing by 6%. However, even if currency had stayed constant they would have still seen a nice bump in operating income. So, it's all good. But they could be in trouble if the Yen gets stronger again.

That favorable currency exchange rate effects different divisions to a greater or lesser extent based on how much that division is reliant on sales in the US and the EU. For example, while sales increased 16.8% YoY for Game & Network services, on a constant currency basis it would have only be 8%. Imaging Products & Solutions would been a 5% decrease YoY versus a 1.5% increase YoY if not for the favorable currency rates. Etc.

As you noted before, it's still a rather large loss forecast for FY ending 2015. However, that's an upward revision from the previous one. Although a bit of that is based on a revision of the expected currency exchange rates (from 110 Yen to the Dollar to 118 Yen to the Dollar, and 133 Yen to the Euro to 138 Yen to the Euro). But is also a reflection of overall confidence with certain divisions performing better than previously expected.

Also their target for the Mobile Communications segment is interesting.

They are hoping to have a small positive operating income of 3-5% by end of FY ending 2018. They hope to achieve that via cutting ~2,100 jobs as well as restructuring costs ending by 2017 (they will continue through 2015 and 2016). Sales are expected to drop by ~20%. So basically not a particularly good outlook for the division. And that's a (IMO) quite optimistic outlook for the division.

I still think it's a bit of a coin toss as to whether the company will reach reliable profitability. But it's looking better. And would look better still if they would just ditch the MC division. I'd actually be somewhat bullish on them if they were to do that.

Regards,
SB

Unknown said:
On a constant currency basis sales are expected to decrease by 1% year on year.
That's compared to their forecast for the Quarter ending Dec. 31, 2014 of sales increasing by 6%. However, even if currency had stayed constant they would have still seen a nice bump in operating income. So, it's all good.
I don't know where they comment you quoted came from but I'm sure it wasn't me.

I don't know where they comment you quoted came from but I'm sure it wasn't me.

The quote was from their Quarterly report. I said as much in the sentence leading up to it, but I guess I could have been clearer. It's on page 2. With further details on Page 9.

Regards,
SB

The quote was from their Quarterly report. I said as much in the sentence leading up to it, but I guess I could have been clearer. It's on page 2. With further details on Page 9.

Doh! Sorry it was an early pre-coffee post. I usually skip estimates on performance based on currency exchange rates because they're unpredictable (and why I didn't spot the quote). Rates certainly did favour Sony in that quarter and this (the current) quarter is likely to be bettered well because of the Swiss Bank unfixing the Swiss Franc : Euro exchange rate which sent the Euro tumbling.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-18-sonys-big-new-three-year-strategy-bets-on-ps4
EG's take, so might be bogus, but...
As mentioned, Sony plans to sequentially split out the business units currently within Sony Corporation. It did this with its TV business last year, and the Video & Sound business unit is next (1st October 2015). Split-out business units will then launch as self-sustained, wholly-owned subsidiaries.

Each business unit, including those that are already subsidiaries, will benefit from "clearly attributable accountability and responsibility", "management policies with an emphasis on sustainable profit generation", and "the acceleration of decision-making processes and reinforcement of business competitiveness".
Isn't this exactly the opposite of the 'One Sony' view? If the businesses become independent, won't they start vying with each other for profitability rather than cooperating? Or is this only for the dead-weight divisions, and the growth divisions will all be synergistically integrated into the Sony parent company?

what the... currently sony is converging rather good. If they do that "split"... we will be back at sony on 00's. Everything is independent, competing, wont work together.

Reactions: Jwm
Isn't this exactly the opposite of the 'One Sony' view? If the businesses become independent, won't they start vying with each other for profitability rather than cooperating?
No, this equal parts about transparency, accountability, autonomy of Sony's various business units as well as streamlining some of the more convoluted hierarchy, e.g. Sony Music are a global organisation but are actually division of Sony Corporation of America which is a division of Sony Corporation in Japan. Sony, who occupy many industries, are setup very odd compared to companies like Apple or Samsung.

In terms of the "one Sony" strategy, I think this presents any change because all of the business units will still be subordinate to Sony so will retain that epic cohesive strategy that Sony are famed for :yep2:. Business units' priorities will still be set by HQ and based on what Sony said today, it's no more or less fractured than the existing organisation. I don't think Sony have any business units in direct competition with each other (other than competing for consumer money) but there's no clear predatory cannibalisation like we saw Apple's iPad eat into (or slow) Mac sales for a few years.

Of course, should they decide to axe the mobile communications or TV divisions down the line, it'll be far easier if assets and liabilities of particular business units aren't spread across Sony Corporation, as they are now.

You can find Sony's published information here.

edit: my take on this is Sony are saying to their divisions: you each stand front and centre and take direct responsibility for your operations. If you fail, you are easy to remove.

No, this equal parts about transparency, accountability, autonomy of Sony's various business units as well as streamlining some of the more convoluted hierarchy, e.g. Sony Music are a global organisation but are actually division of Sony Corporation of America which is a division of Sony Corporation in Japan. Sony, who occupy many industries, are setup very odd compared to companies like Apple or Samsung.
Okay.

I don't think Sony have any business units in direct competition with each other (other than competing for consumer money)...
In the past, Sony's divisions didn't cooperate to the best of Sony's interests overall. Components would be sold for profit between divisions rather than the lower production price giving Sony a pricing advantage, and Sony Pictures weren't on board creating a movie service as I understand it.

edit: my take on this is Sony are saying to their divisions: you each stand front and centre and take direct responsibility for your operations. If you fail, you are easy to remove.
If they're measured against their individual profitability, it'll be in the division's best interests to screw over other divisions if its better for their bottom line. If Sony Imaging can sell cameras to Sony mobile and SCE (in Morpheus final release or whatever) for a crazy mark-up because the market has high demands, they will do, rather than operating a cohesive competitive advantage across the whole organisation.

... and if the PS Camera can get a better price from Omnivision for the sensors, they will. In fact they literally did that. Sony's sensors rule the high-end, not the low-end. But there's no need to split into wholly owned subsidiaries for those decisions to happen. I don't get it.

In the past, Sony's divisions didn't cooperate to the best of Sony's interests overall. Components would be sold for profit between divisions rather than the lower production price giving Sony a pricing advantage, and Sony Pictures weren't on board creating a movie service as I understand it.

And this restructuring isn't going to make that worse. It won't necessarily make it better either although less layers will make some things easier. But there still needs to be an intent and will to co-operate.

If they're measured against their individual profitability, it'll be in the division's best interests to screw over other divisions if its better for their bottom line. If Sony Imaging can sell cameras to Sony mobile and SCE (in Morpheus final release or whatever) for a crazy mark-up because the market has high demands, they will do, rather than operating a cohesive competitive advantage across the whole organisation.

Refusing to give another business unit a commercially advantageous discount isn't screwing them over, it's not screwing yourself over. Commodity components have a real cost attributed to them but unless Sony's Device's division (who produce CCDs) are flat out on production, it will still be feasible for them to make excess units for other divisions at above cost but below market value. It's not like Sony are selling hundreds of millions of phones. And if they get that successful the phone guys will need less of a discount, the mere fact that Sony phones have the best sensors while other manufacturers have to do with less capable sensors will be advantage enough.

The way they've tagged their businesses as growth, stable and volatile seems similar to what they've done at my work, as well as giving units autonomy and accountability. It's worked very well for us. Decentralizing functions and making business units fully accountable top to bottom is a good thing. It doesn't mean business units can't cooperate and leverage the technologies in the rest of the company.

That just shifts where the profit is made. And depending on demand, could entail more volatility (risk) if you sell components to another division at cost or at a loss.

For example, Sony CMOS sensors are in high demand currently. There's a guaranteed market for them that is very profitable.

Sony cell phones, however, aren't in as high a demand, and prices are under heavy pressure. Selling the sensors to the phone division at a loss, at cost, or at discount "could" allow them to price more competitively but doesn't guarantee that they'll perform any better in the market. And if they can't generate as least a greater profit margin from the sale of the phone than the CMOS sensor would have gotten on the market, it would be a loss for Sony overall. And that's assuming the phone would even get sold.

In short, in that example. It's obviously in the best interest of the phone division to get the sensors at cost or at a discount. It not in the best interest of the devices division and may not be in the best interest of the Sony Corporation as a whole with regards to profit generation.

There is less and less overlap between the divisions as time goes on. You don't, for example, have a division with PCs that might be pulling sensors from your devices division, competing with you TV division for LCD panels, etc. No division producing LCD panels anymore. Same goes for multiple divisions attempting to get Cell processors.

It could also be argued that with them being whole owned subsidiaries with their own accountability, that it could drive down prices of components for other wholly owned subsidiaries. As they cannot hide costs overruns through a multitude of divisions and pricing will be more inline with what the market has to offer versus a product that may in the past have been monopolized by the various divisions within Sony leading to a cost per unit that was potentially higher than market competitors.

This potentially leads to more agile divisions that can respond to market changes more quickly. But it does come at the cost of potentially more duplicated upper management. Management will be more targetted within each division, but won't be shared between divisions. It has both good and bad points. But in this case it should be good.

And as DSoup already touched on. It allows them to more easily gauge each divisions performance, profitability (or lack thereof), and sustainability. They've identified which divisions to focus on (Growth Drivers), which divisions are safe (Stable Profit Generators) and which ones are at high risk (TV and Mobile Communications). Once they are wholly owned subsidiaries not only will it be easier to identify which "bin" each subsidiary belongs to, it'll also be easier to potentially address problems or determine if the subsidiary needs to be sold off.

Most importantly, if they have to be jettisoned, it'll be a far easier process without requiring "restructuring fees" or or "exit fees" (like the currently recurring fees for exiting the PC market). This becomes very important when looking at the TV division and especially the mobile communications division. If they are smart (and I believe they are), they've already come to the conclusion that there is a high likelihood of having to exit the smartphone market, but it isn't guaranteed that they will have to do so. The process of spinning off divisions into wholly owned subsidiaries isn't without cost. However, once it is a wholly owned subsidiary, the costs of divestiture shouldn't be more than the recurring costs associated with leaving a market segment with a division within your corporation.

So, by 2018, they'll have a better idea of what they'll need to do with the mobile communications unit. By then it should be a wholly owned subsidiary. If they then decide to exit that market, the costs should be less. If they remain in the market, the subsidiary should be more agile at responding to changing market conditions. It also somewhat isolates Sony corporation from the financial obligations (liabilities, bankruptcy, creditors, etc.) of the subsidiary.

Overall it's a good thing that they are doing this. However, you are correct that a subsidiary can and sometimes do become competitors to other subsidiaries owned by the same parent company. For example, there's a technology holding company (can't remember the name) that owns multiple competing PC graphics card production companies. Sony won't have anything that drastic. But there are likely to be some areas of indirect competition. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing as MrFox pointed out with the PS Camera. It would have been a waste if Sony Devices had to provide sensors for it at a price that was significantly lower than what the market price for those sensors are. And it would have been a waste if the division making the PS Camera had to pay anywhere near the market cost of the Sony manufactured sensors when it didn't require something that good.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back