NPD May 2011

this sunday (the 19th) in the states , prob around that in the rest of the world.

To be honest , i don't know how much it will boost sales , its an old game , but it should boost them back over 100k i'd think.

We really have to see what happens when the other games start coming

Actually I wasn't really suggesting it would boost sales. I'm actually just surprised the launch came out of nowhere so to speak. I thought we were still months off from release. After seeing what you wrote, I went back to double check and turns out it's coming sooner than I expected.

Personally, I thought they should have delayed Pokemon B/W and made it launch with the 3DS. Now that would shoot sales through the roof.

19th in NA, I've already seen TV spots for it.

I haven't been watching TV recently. I did see an online video where they recreated the original Zelda trailer, along with one really horrible looking CGI commercial (?) or something. God, that CGI was horrible. Reminds me of the EGM issue with a CGI Link on the cover covering OOT. I still have that issue.

So Wii managed to beat PS3 in May. I wonder if Wii will see a price cut soon? The announcement of its successor puts some pressure for it imo.
you must of missed, the wii had a $50 pricecut
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...s-effect-today/2011/05/05/AFuTJv2G_story.html
the current NPD includes about a week of the pricecut I think, so bad wii numbers, though they look a lot better than the 3ds. I wonder if we'll see a successor within 18months (without 3d)

I wouldn't put too much into the Wii price cut having an effect. It had been virtually on sale since before the holiday.

<edit>

and here's the zelda TV spot

The 3DS sales have been troubling for Nintendo since it went on sale here. We could get into the crazy "but the DS numbers were ... its first year" but that would completely ignore how the market has changed. I know the Vita fans will disagree but while I think Sony is happy to see these numbers from NPD for the 3DS my belief is they should take note and worry if price (which I firmly believe) is the largest driver for the 3DS' showing.

I hope we get numbers for the DS Lite next NPD since the Lite dropped to $100 which just adds to the problems that Nintendo has going forward. Maybe they should have simply discontinued the Lite leaving people with DSi/XL and 3DS as their only Nintendo options but even then the consumer is facing a $100 spread between old and new.

Nice that both X360 and PS3 are up YoY. X360 continuing with it's rather astonishing performance.

I'm starting to wonder if COD: BO will stay in the top 10 until Holiday 2011. :p

Despite lackluster HW sales for Wii (down YoY) still managed to sell the most software for 3 games as well as the only Single SKU title to make the top 10 combined chart. So while diminishing sales for Wii hardware is a concern for Nintento, it's not nearly as bad as it seems as software sales seem to be on an upswing for the platform.

So out of the top 10. X360 leads the way with most sales for 5 of the titles. Wii for 4 titles. PS3 for 1 title. Interesting, Still miss the single SKU charts. The combined charts tell us little to nothing.

As well despite Steam and Sony pushing Portal 2 pretty hard at Sony's conference at last years E3, it still ended up doing better on the X360. Which reminds me, how much integration is there on PS3 with Steam now? That was a rather big part of the Steam presentation at the Sony conference at E3 last year wasn't it?

And yup, 3DS is certainly shaping up to be a disappointment after seeing this months results. Wonder if Holiday 2011 will be able to revive it.

Regards,
SB

I am not ready to say anything about the 3DS until it gets proper games, and yes, a big part of those need to come from Nintendo. When that happens and the price drops to $199, as I'm sure it will soon enough, then we can see what happens.

Personally I am just really disappointed by how small the screen is. If this gets an XL at some point, and perhaps good 3D movie support, then I'll be interested again.

I am not ready to say anything about the 3DS until it gets proper games, and yes, a big part of those need to come from Nintendo. When that happens and the price drops to $199, as I'm sure it will soon enough, then we can see what happens.

Personally I am just really disappointed by how small the screen is. If this gets an XL at some point, and perhaps good 3D movie support, then I'll be interested again.

It "has no games" and needs a "price drop" seems to be a statement to me...

So how is the free xbox 360 with purchase of a $600 or more pc going to be handled with the NPD numbers? Will NPD track those or do we have to wait for a quarterly number report ?

The promotion is going from june to the second week of sept i believe

So how is the free xbox 360 with purchase of a $600 or more pc going to be handled with the NPD numbers? Will NPD track those or do we have to wait for a quarterly number report ?

NPD only tracks sold at retail for what is released to the public. So those are unlikely to be tracked with their regular numbers although in the detailed reports (that you must purchase) they may include some analysis of it.

It's a similar situation to bundled games not being counted as well as all the Kinect giveaways when it was launched. Neither of those numbers are included for NPD sales numbers.

Regards,
SB

More than likely MSFT would mark these as marketing and they wouldn't be counted in any numbers similar to any other giveaway the company has done.

Back