NPD May 2011

AlNom

Legend
Sorry to tease you folks, but I just saw the 360 h/w results on Mr. Nelson's twitter feed. There's nothing more to add right now. :p

Hardware
3DS: 97K
PlayStation 3: ~177K (by indirect calculation)
Wii: 236K
Xbox 360: 270K

Software
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive - 899K
02. Brink (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks - 401K (360/PS3)
03. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
04. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
05. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive - 292K
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
07. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco
08. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
09. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
10. Lego Star Ware III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Lucasarts

For reference: May 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
01. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) Take 2 Interactive
02. Brink (360, PS3, PC) Bethesda Softworks
03. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
04. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
05. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) Warner Bros. Interactive
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
07. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco
08. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) Take 2 Interactive
09. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
10. Lego Star Ware III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Lucasarts

from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433830

The top selling platform for the month was the Xbox 360.

From
Combined sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 (HD hardware) are up 28% for the month
and taking into account we know last years numbers, and this years 360 number, we can determine the PS3 sold ~177K for the month. Up 14.5% yoy.

Yay for Portal 2 and LA Noire !

Was expecting PS3 growth to be stagnant or negative this month (and end of last month) due to PSN downtime.

Amazing that Just Dance 2 for Wii is still hanging around. GAF article also mentioned that Xbox 360 and PS3 won't be able to catch up to Wii this year assuming current growth trend.

EDIT: Congrats DeanoC for Brink ! Are you basking under the Caribbean sun, sipping lemonade now ?

Tretton claimed that sales for the week prior to E3 (PSN partially up) is up 27% compared to last year.
Not sure if he's referring to hardware unit sales or total software sales.

Digital sales is down about 10% after the downtime. The only increased traffic after the incident is Playstation Home (It broke PS Home record).

GAF article also mentioned that Xbox 360 and PS3 won't be able to catch up to Wii this year assuming current growth trend.

I'm sorry, but I have to lol a bit for this "news"
Wii has over 10 million unit lead in NA over 360 and over 20 million compared to the PS3. 360 just had its best year in 2010, when it sold something like 7 million units in NA. PS3 has never sold more than 5 million units per year IIRC.

Assuming the Wii is going to sell over 1 unit this year, one can do the math from those.

You'd expect that the NPD analyst, who wrote that piece does :smile:

edit: Also Wii is typically pretty strong during holidays, so their claim of PS3 over Wii during the next 12 months is far from set in stone. Wii still sold the most in 2010 and over 60% more than the PS3, so they are definately expecting things to turn around a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but I have to lol a bit for this "news"
Wii has over 10 million unit lead in NA over 360 and over 20 million compared to the PS3. 360 just had its best year in 2010, when it sold something like 7 million units in NA. PS3 has never sold more than 5 million units per year IIRC.

Assuming the Wii is going to sell over 1 unit this year, one can do the math from those.

Actually I think the Wii's lead over 360 is ~8+ million not ten.

Interestingly the announcement of a wii successor opens up at least the outside possibility that eventually 360 could overtake the Wii and become this gen's best selling console in the USA. There is also a good possibility it could eventually overtake the PS2. In other words one day the best selling console of all time in the usa might be Xbox 360.

There's a very long way and a tremendous amount of variables there though. Lately 360 has been outselling Wii by ~100k/month, so making up 8m would take 80 months, or not happening. Of course what would need to happen would be for Wii sales to drop very low and 360 have a couple uncontested years selling, such as might happen when the Wii U releases. But again, there's tremendous variables, how long will wii's legs be after it's successor? When will Microsoft's next gen box hit? Etc,

Actually I think the Wii's lead over 360 is ~8+ million not ten.

yep not quite 8.4 million

Interestingly the announcement of a wii successor opens up at least the outside possibility that eventually 360 could overtake the Wii and become this gen's best selling console in the USA. There is also a good possibility it could eventually overtake the PS2. In other words one day the best selling console of all time in the usa might be Xbox 360.

There's a very long way and a tremendous amount of variables there though. Lately 360 has been outselling Wii by ~100k/month, so making up 8m would take 80 months, or not happening. Of course what would need to happen would be for Wii sales to drop very low and 360 have a couple uncontested years selling, such as might happen when the Wii U releases. But again, there's tremendous variables, how long will wii's legs be after it's successor? When will Microsoft's next gen box hit? Etc,

The only time the 360 has been ahead of the Wii for a 12 months period is the last 3 months. The current number is 700k, meaning barely 60k a month.

It will be quite difficult for the 360 to catch Wii in North America without a compete cease to Wii sales. They would need more than a year at their current 7.2 million a year.

Wii: 236K
3DS: 97K

source

The 3DS did exactly half what it did last month? OUCH. This has to be getting hard for the apologists to defend.

3ds numbers are getting pretty bad , hopefully zelda oot pushes numbers up. But what do people expect there are no compelling titles outside of a few launch ones

I think the 10 million in NA I said includes Canada, whereas NPD does not? However I just took it from vgchartz as my post didn't need 100% accuracy for the point I was making. I shouldn't have said over 10M though as it seems to be 9.9M in there.

So Wii managed to beat PS3 in May. I wonder if Wii will see a price cut soon? The announcement of its successor puts some pressure for it imo.

When is Zelda launching again? Sometime this month, right?

this sunday (the 19th) in the states , prob around that in the rest of the world.

To be honest , i don't know how much it will boost sales , its an old game , but it should boost them back over 100k i'd think.

We really have to see what happens when the other games start coming

Back