[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

I'm starting go think Support is the best class in the game. It's got just about everything you'd want for infantry combat - LMG w/large clip, unlimited ammo, C4, claymores. Now if these Support jokers would just drop an ammo pack every once in a while.

To be honest, I think a squad with one of each class is the best way to go. Every class has useful items. Assault is very important to keep those tickets from dropping. People forget that revives prevent your team from losing tickets to kills. A team that revives well can sustain a longer attack on the objective. In Conquest it's also important, but maybe not as much.

Agreed.

Recon seems like the least useful class now. DICE really neutered it for some reason. The only way Recon can directly engage the enemy is with a sniper. All other options are indirect (spotting, laser tagging, etc). Pretty boring stuff. Where's my goddamn mortar strike! Oh yeah, Support has that now too!

That spawn beacon is something we don't use enough when we play. A well placed spawn beacon can have a huge impact on a round. Also, the spotting equipment may be boring, but also very useful. The one that flies around is pretty interesting. Don't have it unlocked, but paired with a support using mortar, you can do some serious long range damage. Recon is pretty cool, I just suck at sniping, and prefer to use a sub or a shotgun and play it as an offensive kit.

People can say whatever they like about the 360 drawing FPS people, but this thread is proving them all true. :p

But should there be a few (4 in total is enough of course) PS3 players, then add me and invite me when you're going to play. Even if you're just one - I'm interested in playing the co-op stuff, apparently some of them, like the Chopper one, are so good they could carry a standalone game.

I'm busy with Dark Souls, U3 and R3 for the moment. Waiting for Rambo players to leave BF3 so to speak. Whoever're left behind should be able to grasp the team play well.

I'll send you the GAF chatroom invite instead (If you don't have it already). You can find other BF3 players there. Look for pwonager. He's one of the biggest BF3 fans there, helpful/friendly and can hold down objectives. I'll leave him a word. He's in US East Coast time zone, but like me, stays up often. ^_^

He'll link you up with other EU players in the room.

That spawn beacon is something we don't use enough when we play. A well placed spawn beacon can have a huge impact on a round. Also, the spotting equipment may be boring, but also very useful. The one that flies around is pretty interesting. Don't have it unlocked, but paired with a support using mortar, you can do some serious long range damage. Recon is pretty cool, I just suck at sniping, and prefer to use a sub or a shotgun and play it as an offensive kit.

True, mortars are practically useless without people spotting for you. But it seems like the only thing snipers can directly do is pick off lone wolf players.

Yeah, in BC2 when no one else was online, I liked to lone wolf it, and Recon was the class of choice for screwing around and causing trouble. No more I guess.

Anyway, with a squad of friends I can see how each of the classes can make for an effective unit. I guess we should get to work unlocking all that stuff.

NRP said:
I'm starting go think Support is the best class in the game. It's got just about everything you'd want for infantry combat - LMG w/large clip, unlimited ammo, C4, claymores. Now if these Support jokers would just drop an ammo pack every once in a while.

Tbh they are all have their uses.

Assault is the one I get highest scores with tho. Ammo is only a minor issue with the ammo specialization. U can heal urself and others. Which comes in handy when playing rush. Also weapons have better recoil, and seems to be faster to ads.

However, I do get some insane kill streaks with my 249 with silencer and ir sights on some maps.

Engineer is IMO not as good as it was (in bc2 I used it for silenced weapons but now everything can be silenced), and I hate rpging people - its for noobs.

Recon has its uses, the spawn beacon can be game changing. Shame all the snipers suck ass in the sense u cannot one shot kill with any of them with bodyshots - making the bolt action rifles rather useless (but still cool to use).

Shame that people in general are morons when playing this game. Particularly annoying when I'm holding off a entire path to the Mcom myself and the 10+ other morons are unable to hold the two less populated paths. Or them showing up at the pathway I'm holding and no one is watching the other. I have to run around trying to hold them all.

I guess I need some squad mates to play with so I can be less frustrated. add me psn jostepop

On the other side I bought mw3 today and quickscoping is freaking awesome so dunno what I'm gonna end up playing. I like the extreme pace and aiming of cod but bf has something that is very appealing also - if I can play with non morons. (in cod this rarely matters as in tdm etc I can usually carry the team (50%+ kills) and it has FFA)

Agreed.

Recon seems like the least useful class now. DICE really neutered it for some reason. The only way Recon can directly engage the enemy is with a sniper. All other options are indirect (spotting, laser tagging, etc). Pretty boring stuff. Where's my goddamn mortar strike! Oh yeah, Support has that now too!

Yeah, bring back mortar strike! That along with C4 gave us some anti vehicle capability in BC2.

The reintroduction of prone really doesn't compensate for the nerfing since the goddamn scope glint gives your position away so easily.

And the Spawn Beacon is pretty useful, but the addition of the dish since the beta makes it too noticeable and the fact that you have to parachute in when it's placed outdoors doesn't help either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, after a couple weeks of play I have some impressions and hopes for future patches.

I know some BF3 devs post on some forums so I first want to get this part out of the way first before all my criticisms: Great job! I love BF3 and plan to play it for a very long time (until BF3: Special Edition releases on the Xbox 720/PS4). I pre-ordered before there were any reviews and set aside launch day to play ( … ). I am really impressed DICE was able to create a game that is at one moment deep and robust but at the same moment very accessible. DICE was able to work prone, multiple fire modes, and a host of gadgets that add nuance to the game but don’t unbalance it in such a way to detract from the core mechanics. This is a great achievement!

I also want to say thanks for making a game that works-best with teamwork. I haven’t had a chance to play a ton with friends, but when I have it has become really clear that DICE resisted totally succumbing to the console-no-teamplay crowd. E.g. Tanks should be dispensers of death on wheels – with the known vulnerability of being not so quick. Get a tank in a long street with multistory windows and RPG fire and stealthy C4 plants spell the immediate doom of a lone tank driver. But the smart tanker who has a gunner and a couple ground troops to keep the opponents out from close proximity, spotting enemies, etc is a multiplied force that can roll on pretty much any fortified position. Hurrah for Teamplay! (Scott, NRP, and I were doing exactly this last night and went 1-2-3 when we were doing this.)

These are the kind of things that make BF a totally *different* experience from the other big name shooters. You get RPS gameplay in a Team-Objective-Class core design with a good variety of ground and air vehicles. And it is a very, very good experience … for the most part. There are some “uglies” I want squashed, but the core is really growing on me.

Now at what I hinted at: the needed patches and DLC wish list. Some of this is ugly, so avert your eyes if you are squeamish (or if you haven’t gotten BF3 yet. Go get it, enjoy it, and then join my chorus of whines. Until you have enjoyed what BF3 has to offer please ignore the following as they are scathing complaints not set in the context of the praise the game deserves as a total package. With that said, BAD DICE!! Why is every launch aptly described as a “train wreck”? If the fact nearly every media outlet has said something akin to this, does this not bug you and also incline you to make it a priority to change? You need to dedicate a person to the official capacity of, “Smooth Release Coordinator” and tattoo on their forehead, “The game has no release date other than, ‘When it is DONE!’” Need more incentive? Hint: A more polished Day 1 product will result in pushing BF into the upper echelon of Metacritic titles. I know you guys and gals work really, really hard so it must be extremely frustrating to hear things like customers call themselves “Beta Testers,” when games are discussed one of the first things said of your product is “buggy,” and the looming cloud on launch day sales known as the, “Battlefield Car Wreck, version 3.” This situation detracts from the GREAT software you make and cuts into prime sales. It also doesn’t mesh well with a deep game: a robust product needs to be extremely balanced and polished as to not detract from the depth of the title.

DLC/Patch Wants:

# Exiting a game before the next round loads. Solution: Patch this issue ASAP. This should have never made it out of Beta testing. People complained then. Until then at least allow us to change our kits and such during this boringly slow window. UGH!!!!

# Hit detection / Lag. There are clearly some changes from the Beta (seems many guns are not as powerful) but the big one I have noticed is “hit lag.” It looks like the game is hitscan (client side) which means if there is some lag between my opponent, the server, and myself, even though on my screen I opened fire first and registered hits I die (or like last night I was safely behind a wall—well behind a wall—and the player who could no longer see me killed me). At first I thought the general issue was just HP differences, gun differences (maybe they had a shotgun and didn’t notice), armor or bullet unlocks (?), flukes, a lot of returned head shots I overlooked, but I began to notice other matches where this problem wasn’t occurring at all (even the reverse where everyone just seemed to react very slowly to me). I have played enough now to eliminate a lot of those factors and I have played with enough friends to hear the same complaint. This isn’t a complaint of client vs. server side hit detection, but the implementation appears to need some serious work for infantry combat to feel rewarding / consistent. It is too early to get too uptight about this but if it lingers it will become very similar to some of the former GeoW releases with pretty poor host advantage issues that made the experience less than rewarding in the long run. Solution: PATCH ASAP.

# Unlocks require substantial (crazy!) play time. Also, the game offers little insight into where I stand on future progression (what are my next 3 assault rifles? How many pts do I need to get my holoscope? Either the UI is so poor I cannot figure this out OR it isn’t there, either way this needs to be fixed.) Solution: Lower Unlock Thresholds. I know BF is to be played a long time (I played a ton out of ’42/RTR/SW, BF:V, BF2, BC1, ’43) but I don’t want to have to put 100 hours in to unlock stuff that is useful. And the vehicle unlocks? That is just BS. I repeat: Vehicle. Unlocks. Are. BS. I picked up Helo unlocks quickly (flares, aa missiles, etc) but those should be there right out of the box as they clearly unbalance the game experience. I feel for new players who get in a Helo and are being shot down with stingers upon taking off because they have no flares. That is poor design. I am not a big fan of unlocks but, hear me out here, I think your competition does it better. First off they allow you some choice in selecting what you want in some areas. Second, they are addictive because they come fast and furious. I am finding everything about the unlocks unpleasant and seeing how much better the M416 is than the standard rifle makes me roll my eyes. I don’t want an advantage and I don’t want a disadvantage. Let people have access to the toys, pick what suits their style best, and let’s roll out. Unlocks should give a different experience, not create an inferior one (e.g. I liked the FAMAS in MW2 because I liked the 3 round burst/solid range firing—but it wasn’t “better” than other weapon systems). If your system is extremely inflexible please reduce some thresholds or offer XP multipliers for every day someone doesn’t play (so if I miss 4 days I should get 2-4x XP for 1 match for every 1 day I was not online). My helo gunners still don’t have a useful anti-tank weapon … this is just aggravating.

# No vehicle/weapon systems training. Solution: Create a free Training “Playground” with the first free DLC where *all* vehicles and *all* unlocks are available to test; perk: allow multiple people in your playground; total downer that the SP segments do NOTHING to teach MP aspect. Alt Solution: Allow people to play on servers with as little as 1 player and offer “unlocked” servers. One of the training missions should be on spotting. I was playing with some casuals on a server by myself and NO ONE SPOTTED. I think the problem is some people don’t know how or that it is even a feature. I cannot lament how big of an issue this is. Call me an idiot noob but it took me a while to figure out what the T-UGS were. I just got SOFLAM and am like, “Huh?” I am not really sure how to best use the EOD Bot. How the heavy barrel and forearm grip affect my gun is puzzling.

# Destruction. Where did it all go? Solution: Please re-enable mass destruction! Some maps really, really need more destruction. Material penetration also seems to be toned down in a lot of cases.

# Map Design. BF is an open game, but so many infantry maps have these crazy choke points that don’t allow enough destruction to change this dynamic. Solution: bring back more destruction because as it stands these maps aren’t fun. (They play like poorly designed CoD maps to be brutally honest.)

# Not enough Coop Missions. Solution: Offer a substantial DLC offering of coop specific content.

# 4 way (or more!) Coop Missions or Horde/FireFight Waves. Solution: See above. Yeah DICE, we want more of your content! Pat yourself on the back.

# The maps feel small with all the control points so close. Solution: Change the control points so they are more spread out, 3-4 control points should work fine with 24 players (think El Al and Guadal Canal on ’42).

# Getting hung up on objects. I know to sprint and jump but I get caught up on a ton of stuff that isn’t large and there are times it seems there should be no issue scaling a low wall and you cannot. The game would be more fun if it was more clean in this regards. I died twice last night because of this issue. First was a wall that it seemed I should have been able to easily jump. Nope, guess not. 4 or 5 hops later and bang, dead. Later on the map with the control point in the giant mountain cave (not Metro) there was a door way into the long concrete hall and I was stuck and could not enter. Jumping didn’t help. It was so odd. And I died about 3 seconds later. This stuff happens all over the maps. Solution: Patch this issue.

# Menus UI. It needs an overhaul. Both in the layers and design. I have seen a number of people complain about the lack of letter # on the spawn—it is there, but there is just such a disconnect between in game IU and the clutter-fest of the spawn/backend menus I can sympathize with the confusion. See my complaints about upcoming unlocks and new weapons as well as weapon damage/range/rof, etc.

# Gun Data. Look, all I get in the service was a little black box with a 9mm in it. When we talked about shooting and someone getting shot we were talking about needles. I am a gun noob (albeit a pretty accurate one).

# In-game IU. There is just a lot of missing ques—or they aren’t readily visible. E.g. I am flying, how do I know where my throttle setting is set? Or if I am repairing a tank, how do I know what % is repaired? What fire mode is my rifle in? Do I have missiles or guns engaged in my air craft (this one you can learn)? Oh, and the worst offender has to be when you are at a flag in Conquest and the flag counter sits RIGHT in the middle of your screen. I would prefer it hover above the flag or at the very top of the screen. Instead it hovers RIGHT in your cross hairs. Grrr!! Just horrible, horrible flaws. I hope DICE fixes these but I remember the Red-friendly error in BF2 and the mini-map flag sorting issues of past titles. Excuse me while I go and cry in my root beer… (It was pointed out to me that firing mode is 3 dots by the ammo and that in flying the Triggers aren't throttle Up/Down but High/Low and no trigger is normal and right click is afterburtners; there is a very, very small repair meter; and of course the reticle changes for the firing mode on aircraft, you just have to memorize which they are).

# Mini-map. I love what DICE has done with the 3D map—it could almost displace the mini-map. Almost. The current mini-map, notably the lack of map contract and the lack of scaling in and out, is very annoying. Is there a DPAD button that could be used to manually scale it in and out? Throw me bone!

# Command Rose. I wish this made it in so we could communicate with other players better. I love how DICE has really matured in the natural context sensitive interface (hit “Back” on most objects gives a context sensitive command) but this is really missing IMO. This could solve a number of issues. E.g. why not make a command rose where you can do a ton of things: (a) change fire mode (b) zoom mini-map (c) get gadget (d) broadcast message to squad etc.

# Squad Chat. Really?? I guess there are parties on the Xbox… but this is really hampering teamwork. A lot. I had some LOLZ listening to Scott last night seeing support guys everywhere and NO ONE would give ammo. Now if they heard him lamenting this maybe he would get some (Scott, just pick up my gear when I die--I die a lot!).

# The Death Cam is meh. It offers boring angles, a lot of time with significant clipping and texture popping. I would prefer a short 1st person cam or a zoomed out sky view of the area you died. I don’t think the current iteration adds anything to the game. I will say this: For those whining about “campers” watch the stupid death cam. It pretty much tells you where they are at once you learn the map. If you are playing in a squad and paying attention to the death cam campers should never be an issue in this game (unless you are calling peeps defending their flag campers in which case please go play another game).

# Flight Stick Support. Ok, I am dreaming
razz.gif

# Game Recorder. Oh man, I have had so many great experiences I wished I could have later access and uploaded to share.

# Flash Lights. Ok, they are a cool idea. I get it. I even like it. But two things: my annoying teammates who insist in flashing me. Grrr!!! And then the issue of flash lights being really strong in the day light.

# Graphics. This is a love/hate issue that isn’t addressable in BF3 but I wanted to leave some comments. I love the graphics. I hate the graphics. I was on Caspian last night and was just very, very impressed with how beautiful it looks. Nice draw distance, great foliage, water, detail everywhere. Lighting is solid and shadowing is good considering the vastness of the game. I was very impressed. But small maps, especially buildings and particles… are driving me nuts as the IQ gets VERY muddy quickly. I am all for functional over eye candy. I guess I am still in the PC mindset where you remove annoying features, features that hurt performance, etc. I miss the 60Hz from other games. I also miss the cleaner look of previous titles. I loaded up ’43 the other day and all I can say is, “Wow, ’43 is really clean/crisp looking!” BF3 has aliasing all over the place. The worst offender appears to be any object with some HDR effect has crazy aliasing. There is frequent texture flicker, especially on transparencies. The particle effect resolution seems to be low and maps can have a way too strong haze look. SP has the uber annoying dirt and grime all over your goggles all the time with constant reflection bloom. I am a fan of post processing but it seems too low in IQ to produce pleasant results and has come at the cost of texture detail and general IQ—and worst of all, reduced destruction. I know DICE has a forward looking engine aimed at the PC and next gen consoles (Woot! Hurrah! Bravo DICE!) but the console versions have such reduced quality it affects gameplay. It can be very difficult to make a distinction between targets (note: I am getting better at this the more I play, basically shooting anything that lacks blue!) and with LOD even with spotted targets when at a distances the objects (be it tank on tank or air on ground) the IQ is so muddy it is hard to see an object. Solution: Get the PC version? Hey DICE, roll all the BF3 content (DLC) over the next couple years into a new package and make it a console launch product. The engine scales and getting, say, a 60Hz 1080p “Ultra” experience with 64 players on new consoles with all the content, some new MP and Coop content, maybe a new mini-SP story-ette and I would surely buy it.

# Audio… is amazing. But why DICE insists on NPCs in MP throw out constant F-bombs is a joke and insulting (YMMV, I cannot speak for all branches). What is so hard about a little language check box? I can mute the silly kids (thanks MS!) but DICE seems intent on making me listen to this one way or another. Thanks DICE! (/sarcasm)

# A10. Please add it to more Conquest maps.

I am really loving BF3. I don’t have much time to play. It wouldn’t be a proper BF if I didn’t have a ton of things to complain about. Btw, I would ask for 32 players but the current maps don’t have the flags apart enough for that (I hear my PC friends complaining a bit about the map design). Overall DICE did a great job doing throwing a ton of content into a single package and making it work. And work well. There always seems to be a nice stream of available vehicles. Things seem roughly balanced in a positive way.

Thanks for the **great game** and I look forward to future patches and DLC!

Ps- Please don’t be deeply insulted by this, but I really wanted to like the SP. So far I cannot be interested enough to finish. It isn’t that it is horrible—I really like the good cop/bad cop interrogation with mini-action elements, I think this is a wonderful story telling technique for a game—but it is just not very compelling. I may be in the minority, but I would have preferred the mini-sequences to be more conquest/rush style gameplay with bots where you could use/train with the MP weapons. Toss in that each can be played as 4 way coop and I say we are all good. Some sections, like the phenomenal visual / auditory treat that is the air craft carrier, are so disconnected in gameplay from the MP (and sorry, BORING) that I just cringe when I think about replaying. I am sure some market analysis says you have to have this killer SP experience but I am sure you have heard what the critics are saying. Going with a great script linking together various military adventures that are coop friendly and tied to the MP experience would be different, useful, and pleasant. Don’t try to out-COD Activision. Hint: Some of us pre-ordered BF3 and skipped BLOPs and will be skipping MW3. Some of us think you can best COD by being different. The SP is far too derivative IMO, and it doesn’t stack up as well IMO. And that doesn’t say much when I have no intention of getting those other titles. At least DICE knows where it is at: DISK1 is the MP!

Damn you people! don't make me buy the 360 version also :(

Yes, get the game. Now. It looks like we have Scott, NRP, Kage Maru and his crew, Onkl, Tap In, Castaway, and myself. YOU and Timber NEED to get on.

Btw, which unlocks should I be working toward? I have the M416 and it is pretty solid. Foer Eng do you need like 230,000 pts for the G36? And for most of these 270 kills to get all unlocks per gun? :oops:

So what combos should I be using? Heavy barrel with forearm grip? What do others suggest?

Yes, get the game. Now. It looks like we have Scott, NRP, Kage Maru and his crew, Onkl, Tap In, Castaway, and myself. YOU and Timber NEED to get on.

I know, but I'm studying for promotion at the moment.
I plan to get my game on with a LOT of games after I test.

# Hit detection / Lag. There are clearly some changes from the Beta (seems many guns are not as powerful) but the big one I have noticed is “hit lag.” It looks like the game is hitscan (client side) which means if there is some lag between my opponent, the server, and myself, even though on my screen I opened fire first and registered hits I die (or like last night I was safely behind a wall—well behind a wall—and the player who could no longer see me killed me).

Actually it doesn't use hitscan, the game calculates the ballistics (bullet drop/travel time) for any gun you fire but it's only really noticeable when using a sniper rifle or shooting tank shells.

How many pts do I need to get my holoscope? Either the UI is so poor I cannot figure this out OR it isn’t there, either way this needs to be fixed.

It does tell you how many points you need to unlock the NEXT weapon attachment but it does not tell you what that attachment is. When you're waiting to respawn, press (X) and you'll go into the equipment/kit customization page and over there you can see a bar that represents how much further you have to go to unlock the next weapon attachment or kit-specific gadget/weapon.

Vehicle. Unlocks. Are. BS. I picked up Helo unlocks quickly (flares, aa missiles, etc) but those should be there right out of the box as they clearly unbalance the game experience. I feel for new players who get in a Helo and are being shot down with stingers upon taking off because they have no flares. That is poor design. I am not a big fan of unlocks but, hear me out here, I think your competition does it better. First off they allow you some choice in selecting what you want in some areas. Second, they are addictive because they come fast and furious. I am finding everything about the unlocks unpleasant and seeing how much better the M416 is than the standard rifle makes me roll my eyes. I don’t want an advantage and I don’t want a disadvantage.

Vehicle unlocks sort of make sense since there's a lot of players who help their team the most by sitting in a vehicle. The first few unlocks are for "essential" things (ie: flares, coaxial machine gun, etc) and after that comes the more specialized unlocks like laser guided missiles and whatever. Recently I finally got the hang of the jets and within a couple rounds I unlocked IR flares, stealth, and heat seekers. I guess it's sort of like a Darwinistic thing so noobs who will get killed fast don't run for the single jet/tank/heli at your team's base.

Call me an idiot noob but it took me a while to figure out what the T-UGS were. I just got SOFLAM and am like, “Huh?” I am not really sure how to best use the EOD Bot. How the heavy barrel and forearm grip affect my gun is puzzling.

When you go into the equipment selection screen and go over the different attachments available, press (Y). It tells you what the gadget or attachment does.

# Gun Data. Look, all I get in the service was a little black box with a 9mm in it. When we talked about shooting and someone getting shot we were talking about needles. I am a gun noob (albeit a pretty accurate one).

Yeah I've been trying to find such stats but I couldn't find any either in the game or even in the BF3 website. How are we supposed to really judge which gun is better without knowing damage, accuracy, etc?

# In-game IU. There is just a lot of missing ques—or they aren’t readily visible. E.g. I am flying, how do I know where my throttle setting is set? Or if I am repairing a tank, how do I know what % is repaired? What fire mode is my rifle in? Do I have missiles or guns engaged in my air craft (this one you can learn)? Oh, and the worst offender has to be when you are at a flag in Conquest and the flag counter sits RIGHT in the middle of your screen. I would prefer it hover above the flag or at the very top of the screen. Instead it hovers RIGHT in your cross hairs. Grrr!! Just horrible, horrible flaws. I hope DICE fixes these but I remember the Red-friendly error in BF2 and the mini-map flag sorting issues of past titles. Excuse me while I go and cry in my root beer… (It was pointed out to me that firing mode is 3 dots by the ammo and that in flying the Triggers aren't throttle Up/Down but High/Low and no trigger is normal and right click is afterburtners; there is a very, very small repair meter; and of course the reticle changes for the firing mode on aircraft, you just have to memorize which they are).

You can tell most of those, it may take a while before you notice them. It wasn't until like a week after I got the game that I noticed that the fire mode can even be changed!

A platform, Karkand, and Battlefield 3
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/08/a-platform-karkand-and-battlefield-3/

In a brief presentation prior to some extended time with next month's Back to Karkand DLC, the word "service" was used more than once. EA sees Battlefield 3 as a platform to deliver more content and Back to Karkand is the first salvo in that strategy.

Back to Karkand is the first major piece of downloadable content for Battlefield 3. It's comprised of four re-imagined maps from Battlefield Past: Strike At Karkand, Gulf of Oman, and Sharqi Peninsula from Battlefield 2, and Wake Island, which originally appeared in Battlefield 1942. While these are technically "old" maps, it's not really fair to hold that against them, as they've been completely rebuilt in Battlefield 3's Frostbite 2.0 engine, with all of the features and nuances you'd expect.

DICE has said that the Back to Karkand DLC features updates to their Frostbite 2.0 tech, and that new maps are more destructible, which I assume means that buildings can be damaged more. In practice ... well, sort of.

When's it coming out?

Some time in December. This isn't necessarily EA and DICE being cagey. Rather, the certification process for Xbox Live and PSN take time, and there's been a lot of product going through that process, given that it's November and all. I would venture a guess that we'll see a release just before Christmas, similar to last year's Bad Company 2 - Vietnam expansion.

Actually, "old" BF maps are a lot better than the new ones, so being an "old" map is definitely a "good" thing. I guess it's possible that DICE "fixed" these old maps so there's a chance they could suck I guess.

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not but WTF is up with the totally overdone lens flare and bloom/overexposure/whatever-its-called when exiting a building? It's detrimental to gameplay because you're totally blind for a second or so upon exiting a building - just long enough for the camper in the bushes across the street to mow you down. It's almost like DICE said "Oh, we've got this new annoying graphical "feature" that has already been totally overdone in other games, so we should rub the players' faces in it!" And lens flare with your naked eye? Really?

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not but WTF is up with the totally overdone lens flare and bloom/overexposure/whatever-its-called when exiting a building? It's detrimental to gameplay because you're totally blind for a second or so upon exiting a building - just long enough for the camper in the bushes across the street to mow you down. It's almost like DICE said "Oh, we've got this new annoying graphical "feature" that has already been totally overdone in other games, so we should rub the players' faces in it!" And lens flare with your naked eye? Really?

agreed, in fact I remember Halo devs discussing how they could have made the lighting more realistic with greater contrast to indoor outdoor areas, in Reach but decided that for MP gameplay balance that it was best left toned down to be more fun. I have to agree. They could definitely tone down that flare blinding sunlight exiting in BF3

Wow ! BF3 campaign looks freaking amazing on the ps3 ! The textures are so crisp and the lighting so damn fabulous !!!!! I was so worried that it won't look good enou and my monies will feel wasted, but damn this is so impressive !

Heh heh, told people not to worry about visuals. ^_^

According to that article I linked to, DICE sees BF3 tech as a long term platform. So we should see incremental improvements along the way too !

Back