[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

Played some rounds last night. It plays much differently than BC2. They've massively reduced the effectiveness of spotting and it's very easy to blend into surroundings. Maybe it's my small screen, but I have a very hard time seeing anyone, even if they're standing in the open at a moderate distance. After a few rounds of playing, when I started to get a sense of the map, things got really fun. I wasn't doing really well, but it's an intense experience.

I don't understand the complaints about the graphics at all. I think it looks fantastic. Oh, and war tapes is back, so get some serious headphones!

TBH I think it looks pretty good on consoles, dunno what the complaints are about, however you really don't need a 1000 Euro PC to play this game on decent settings.

:???: .... will you buy me an 1000 Euro PC for this one game?

A misconception, I am running it on a relatively old PC:
Q9450,
Corsair 4GB,
ATI HD4850

and the game blows my mind. Mind you, remove the AA and Motion blur and the game runs smoothly even on 1920X1080 ! With this level of Fun, I don't mind playing without AA at all ! and its a beta, I haven't tried many configurations yet, either. But I ran the game on Ultra with minor hiccups I didn't even bother about! I think the jerks were more due to lag than GFX. and to top it all, Low isn't that different from ULTRA here.

In short, you don't need a 1000quid PC, thats a fallacy. The game runs stellar on my old system too.

I have stopped buying cpu,mb etc years ago ... my last graphic card is X1900XTX ... i will not buy new CPU or GPU every year for 300 Euro to run the game on "ultra" settings and 1080p ... i am happy with my PS360

TBH I think it looks pretty good on consoles, dunno what the complaints are about, however you really don't need a 1000 Euro PC to play this game on decent settings.

Probably people don't remember here we talking of an ancient close hardware...

I have stopped buying cpu,mb etc years ago ... my last graphic card is X1900XTX ... i will not buy new CPU or GPU every year for 300 Euro to run the game on "ultra" settings and 1080p ... i am happy with my PS360

Its not just about graphics, the game seems to be made for PC ! the whole feel changes when playing BF3 on PC ! For example, you have dedicated buttons for everything on the keyboard, including prone, which means as soon as I hear bullets whizzing by my side, I jump staright from sprint to prone! Even a small thing as that changes how the game feels as It stops feeling like a game after a point, it almost becomes real !

Anyways, I understand what you are saying there, but my pc is 3 years old and can still run everything beyond"ultra"(atleast uptill now). The days of having to upgrade PCs every year are long gone thanx to the shift of the whole industry towards consoles. So, you can get a relatively cheap PC, and sget the full experience as it should be. From the PC beta, this sodesn't seem like a game to be missed if you like shooters. I did not get that feeling from the ps3 beta.
And its not like I bought this pc just for games. This PC, coupled with my iPad2, is basically my whole office ! Anyways, enjoy it on whatever you have or plan to have. My point of posting the orignal post was to convey how amazingly better this game feels on the pc!

I made a small comparison PC (max settings) vs PS3 (i do not have ps3, screens from net)
Random, pointless PC comparisons aren't welcome here. Comparing a PC to the consoles serves no purpose, unless you are specifically highlighting accomplishments/failings by the developers - in which case that discussion is for the tech analysis forum and not this game thread which is more about how people like/dislike the game save the occasional techy branching. The most obvious shortcoming of your comparison is comparing 720p images upscaled to 1080p to native 1080p renders. If you want to compare engines on platforms, post PS3, 360, and 720p native PC screenshots in the Frostbite 2 discussion highlighting what you think works and doesn't (texture res, shaders, lighting, mesh resolution, transparent objects, yadayada).

I'm getting my skills back in order, and it's becoming a lot of fun. I don't like some of the menus, or how you switch your kits/loadouts, but the actual controls are great, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I think the visuals are fantastic. Don't understand the complaints at all. And the sound effects are pretty much amazing. The sound is one of the real standouts, to me.

today i had weird glitch ...

all particles were visible all time (nonstop) and the performance was like 15-20FPS.. sometime i cant zoom with guns until i switch weapons or cant run for whatever resason ... is dice planning patch or what? because sometime is the beta unplayable (PS3 version)

Well if vehicles are required to make the game fun for me, they made a huge mistake by not including that aspect in the beta and lost a potential sale.

The beta as it was played when I was on was just a boring sniper fest. Someone would move and 4 people would shoot him... how exciting. Maybe the game won't play that way live, but in the 30 minutes I played, that's all that I saw and I'm not really inclined to give it another try because someone else likes it. Perhaps you'll just have to accept that it's not for everyone, or they made a mistake releasing what they did. I don't doubt there's lots of people that love it and it will sell millions, but I'm just going to put it in the 'not for me' category. There's plenty of other games that will occupy my time.

yeah, it was a bad idea for them to choose a map that doesn't have vehicles or destruction, especially if you're a newbie to the series as those things totally change the tactics you'd use.

As far as sniping/camping I never had a problem with that even in the wide open areas as you can spot people. If you aim near an enemy in the distance and press the back button, that puts a red marker above their head and marks them on your map for you and everybody else on your team. It also has your player character shout out "there is a sniper" so people know when to check for red tick marks in the horizon.

Using the back button really helps in this game and I'm disappointed that they didn't make like a tutorial video or something packaged with the beta to introduce people to all the nifty teamwork mechanics in BF3. If you aim at a teammate in the support class or medic class and press the back button, you'd be asking them for more bullets or a health pack. If you aim at an enemy vehicle and press it, you warn people that there's a vehicle and you spot it leaving a red tick mark on their HUD for them to know the relative position of it. If you're teammate has a vehicle and you're engineer, aiming at him and pressing the back button tells them to slow down so you can run up to them and repair them.

A large portion of what makes people successful in this game is communication so I would suggest trying the game again but trying to spot people and staying near your teammates playing as the medic/assault class to give support. It takes a few games until you have enough xp points to get the defib paddles which let you revive dead teammates, that of course makes you much more valuable to the team.

It's a beta test, not a demo. There really isn't much need for tutorials beyond a few helpful hints posted by DICE reps, which there are.

Just played the PS3 version for about an hour and a half. If this is representative, all of the people bitching about the game must have never played the previous PS3 games. . . it's pretty much the same game as BF:BC2 (which means it is is awesome). That said, doesn't appear that voice chat is enabled and / or working and I have encountered some of the same digital audio distortion that tended to creep into BF:BC2 after playing a while (and usually meant system lockup was coming).

Can't wait for the full game at the end of month!

Cheers

Back