NPD January 2011

I understand the handheld performance , the psp is a waste land and we had news of the 3ds hitting in early 2011 since before the holiday shoping season , it makes sense that in january when the release date became known that people would simply hold out two more months for the 3ds

Yeah, its eye popping. Eye popping because they lost money in Q4. I don't know how a company with some of the most highly regarded IPs manages to lose profits during the quarter of the release of COD:Money Bags.
I did a double take when I read this but you are right!
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...-e2b4deb8fbeb/Q4 CY10 Press Release Final.pdf

A lot of good info on revenue breakdown by platform, product range, geographic location, etc. One thing I don't understand is that how did the 2010 Q4 revenue from X360 sdecrease from 2009 Q4 revenue despite Black Ops selling much better than MW2 on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone really genuinely surprised by the poor Move sales?

You can say all you want about it being superior to the Wii in terms of motion tracking and all that but that is not something readily apparent to the Wii's casual audience and something inherently difficult to market. The thing was a giant ripoff of the Wii and Sony is finally getting what it deserves after a long history of copying its competitors' ideas. I just hope that this doesn't prove disastrous enough to see Sony pull out from the console space.
All Sony need to do is get rid of home and move and give us a price drop.
Take the PS3 back to basics and play it safe until they're profitable on everything.
My young cousin has PS3 and xbox 360 with kinect.
I asked him why he didn't have move and his reply was that it's just like wii which he sold last year.

Been a while since Ive posted images (moved server, busy etc)
NPDjanA.png

NPDjanB.png

Pachter expects a lot of things.
right on the money for his NPD estimates (except ps3 too low) this time round, prolly his best guesses ever

It didn't, NPD lists the platforms in order of sales so by this:

Cool that's good information to know.

Yeah, its eye popping. Eye popping because they lost money in Q4. I don't know how a company with some of the most highly regarded IPs manages to lose profits during the quarter of the release of COD:Money Bags.

Yes, I'm rather surprised. Net revenue down 130 million USD, but Net income up 53 million USD (or Net loss is 53 million USD less than last Q4).

Interesting conference calls. And yes as someone noted their losses for Q4 was "reflecting weakness in the casual and music genres." So Guitar Hero and the like not performing well.

As well, an increased focus on moving to digital delivery and content. 1/3 of all their revenue is from digital sources, not surprising with WoW and how well SC2 and COD:BO did with their respective DD versions.

Gah must stop here. This isn't an Activision thread. :)

But surprised that the record breaking sales of WoW: Cataclysm and COD:BO were offset by the failure of Guitar Hero and other music and casual offerings from them.

Regards,
SB

Im not quite sure what to make of the kinect bundle ratios. If we can make the assumtion (probably cant i guess but im going to anyway ;)) that even without kinect 360 would have likely seen sales of around the 300k mark, it doesnt seem to have expanded to the 'untapped' market like i would have guessed and may be selling more to people that may have bought a 360 anyway but opted for the upgraded kinect option? Or, if a large amount of the kinect bundles are going to that untapped 'casual' audience, could it be that its become of a little less intrest to the traditional crowd 360 was selling to before?

Im not quite sure what to make of the kinect bundle ratios. If we can make the assumtion (probably cant i guess but im going to anyway ;)) that even without kinect 360 would have likely seen sales of around the 300k mark, it doesnt seem to have expanded to the 'untapped' market like i would have guessed and may be selling more to people that may have bought a 360 anyway but opted for the upgraded kinect option? Or, if a large amount of the kinect bundles are going to that untapped 'casual' audience, could it be that its become of a little less intrest to the traditional crowd 360 was selling to before?

It's hard to tell without actual breakdown on bundles and how many standalone kinects are selling. All we know is that they just had their best January ever and their 12month sales continues to grow. (although I expect a drop for feb.)

It's hard to tell without actual breakdown on bundles and how many standalone kinects are selling. All we know is that they just had their best January ever and their 12month sales continues to grow. (although I expect a drop for feb.)

Isnt it around 230k bundles sold with kinect and 150k without, according to the ratios given?

It's hard to say but the argument could be made that Kinect "may" be the reason that X360 is the only console that isn't down YoY.

Regards,
SB

It's hard to say but the argument could be made that Kinect "may" be the reason that X360 is the only console that isn't down YoY.

Regards,
SB

Suppose but even at the same YoY decrease as ps3 (-4%) it would leave it at around 315k, plus we have the 360s proping things up. But yes its all just guesswork and no way of knowing either way.

Barso said:

You can say all you want about it being superior to the Wii in terms of motion tracking and all that but that is not something readily apparent to the Wii's casual audience and something inherently difficult to market. The thing was a giant ripoff of the Wii and Sony is finally getting what it deserves after a long history of copying its competitors' ideas. I just hope that this doesn't prove disastrous enough to see Sony pull out from the console space.
Take the PS3 back to basics and play it safe until they're profitable on everything.
I asked him why he didn't have move and his reply was that it's just like wii which he sold last year.

As someone who has been playing a LOT of Move games I strongly disagree. But Sony is definitely seeing the difference in both marketability and actual marketing dollars spent play out in an almost textbook manner. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Move is already profitable.

The big question for me personally is how long Kinects high sales will last. Probably a while.

For Move, Killzone 3 could prove an interesting turning point, as the gaming press seems to be warming up to it. But it needs more high profile titles in the casual space, and the games that are and have been released shoul get more attention.

I wasn't aware the Move sold poorly. I was aware that Kinect sold way more than expected, though. One selling well beyond expection doesn't mean the other sold poorly, does it? People weren't even expecting Move to sell 1 million units. 5 million units would've been laughed out of the room 4 or 5 months ago.

Home is making money as well. Why get rid of something that's a positive revenue stream for you? And, is Kinect the first time you've heard of controllerless gaming using a camera? I know I've heard of it before Kinect. I just don't understand the thinking behind your post at all.

I would say the fact that 3/5ths of people buying 360s are also buying Kinect bundles is a pretty good sign for Microsoft. It does make sense that people who were already inclined to purchase the console would be more inclined to see a little extra value in paying $100 more for Kinect than it would for people who were not originally interested who would have to pay a full $300 extra than they otherwise would have to experience the console, Kinect inclusive. Regardless of the fact that many Kinect buyers would have otherwise purchased the console, Microsoft still benefits from the increased margins and opportunities to sell further games and services to the console households.

I think overall we can see that Kinect has managed to increase the number of console sales by some margin, (anyone care to figure out a possible range?) and the average sale price of said consoles. The average sale price used to be $260 but with 3/5ths of people paying a minimum of $300 for the consoles and some now paying $400 the average sale price has almost certainly increased. Their cost per console is likely falling as their operational margins and gross margins are likely to be increasing and they are outright improving the sales of the Xbox 360 and their Live subscriber base is increasing faster than their console user base. Overall they'd have to be pretty satisfied with how things are going.

Would they cut the price under these circumstances?

What do Microsoft want from 2011? Market share or profit?

How much profit can they still achieve if they are going for market share?

The Kinect gambit has paid off handsomely thus far and it looks like the EDD has made another gambit with Nokia and WP7. Do they have any more moves in store for us this year? EDD are really becoming the movers and shakers of the Microsoft empire, yes?

I wouldn't be surprised to seem them work on live tablets . I also hope they come out with a true handheld which i think they might announce at e3

I wasn't aware the Move sold poorly. I was aware that Kinect sold way more than expected, though. People weren't even expecting Move to sell 1 million units.

not really. MS expected 5 million for Kinect in the first month or two. yes it did better than that but if Sony expected move to sell 1/5 of MS expectations (1 million??), I'd be more surprised than even you seem to be.

Plus, nothing happens in a vacuum as you seem to be trying to portray here. Move was released in the same time frame as Kinect. Move was positioned by sony to compete with Kinect. So by all measuring sticks, it got its ass handed to itself.

Back