Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

He did say the PC version would look "way better" but I'll take that with a pinch of salt until I see it as he was obviously playing up for the crowd.
Well, they have said some promising things, like higher-res textures such, in addition to the obvious resolution enhancements and DX11 effects and such. Here's an article from last month on RPS.

Definitely has me hopeful, although I haven't a clue how well my rig will run it.. I don't know if I'll have my upgrades by then.

The graphics are stunning. Easily up there with the best available today and that's just the 360 version!

In short, this is shaping up to be potentially the best game ever made!

Yea, I'd say this and Red Dead Redemption are the best looking open world games on console at the moment.

What's even more impressive is they're running than on 360 at 720p with 4xMSAA! (apparently according to prerelease framebuffer analysis).

The graphics are stunning.
It is looking very good, especially the naturalness of the 3rd person animations. Lots of potential.
Hmmm. I don't rate Elder Scrolls' track record as supporting that expectation! I really liked Morrowind, but it took several patches to make the game work. All Bethesda's Elder Scrolls games have been buggy messes. Oblivion was even fundamentally flawed in its difficulty scaling. I would like to play a good next-gen Morrowind, but this is another game where I'd wait several months after release until there's been enough user feedback to know if Bethesda have released another bug-fest or if they've actually got this one right.

Oblivion was even fundamentally flawed in its difficulty scaling.

Yeah this is true, I played with a scaling mod installed so never experienced the issues but they didn't sound great. I think I remember hearing the Fallout 3 resolved the scaling issues though so if that's true I'd hope to see an improved version of that system in Skyrim.

The graphics are stunning. Easily up there with the best available today and that's just the 360 version! He did say the PC version would look "way better" but I'll take that with a pinch of salt until I see it as he was obviously playing up for the crowd. Menu system is also excellent, a vast, vast improvement over Oblivion. Animations are also hugely improved. Gameplay from what little was in there looked to be at least Oblivion level.

Indeed, I think it will be the best game ever. Oblivion was the first game I thought was a true next generation game. And a game that hardcore gamers and casuals fancied alike. I remember a friend of mine who isn't into gaming save the occasional sports game match against me or playing Rock Band at my house, told me that the game had amazing landscapes and music and that it was so nice. A brother of mine who isn't into gaming told me basically the same, and he also loved the physics, which were quite original for a game back then, like seeing a baddie's corpse falling from a cliff or a very steep incline.

Whenever I can I think I will be burning hours upon hours on this game, and happy with it. After seeing the video, colour me impressed.

I can't wait to play this game and see it with my own eyes in my TV screen. It also seems to feature AAx4 on consoles? which is quite a technical feat for a game like that.

Maybe it's witchcraft but these guys are amazing. I remember nAo saying a lot of time ago that he wondered how Bethesda managed to create a world like they did in Oblivion, from a technical perspective. He didn't explain exactly why he thinks the game is a technical achievement, but he seemed puzzled about it, which is surprising coming from a top developer and someone who seemed to like squeezing every bit of power out of the consoles he works/has worked on.

Oblivion has aged fine, although things like characters design and art pale in comparison to the new models in Skyrim. It's hard to believe that it's already been more than five years since I played and put lots of hours into Oblivion.

Visually wise it still looks pretty in close, confined areas, like caves and villages, although it's taken some blows compared to modern top notch games. Even so, I don't remember a game coming close regarding awe-inspiring landscapes like Oblivion did in 2006, when the trailer was released and you could see the woods and the grass, the little houses surrounded by small walls and domestic animals...

It is looking very good, especially the naturalness of the 3rd person animations. Lots of potential.
Hmmm. I don't rate Elder Scrolls' track record as supporting that expectation! I really liked Morrowind, but it took several patches to make the game work. All Bethesda's Elder Scrolls games have been buggy messes. Oblivion was even fundamentally flawed in its difficulty scaling. I would like to play a good next-gen Morrowind, but this is another game where I'd wait several months after release until there's been enough user feedback to know if Bethesda have released another bug-fest or if they've actually got this one right.
Yes, that's right. I preferred the fundamentals of Morrowind when it came to the difficulty level.

In Oblivion you could travel all the world and unknown places "safely" from the very beginning, but in Morrowind if you wandered around and away too far from the village where the story began, there were monsters in the wild that could crush your character's bones with a single puff.

Concerning the bugs, the game wouldn't be the same without them. Outside of game breaking bugs that stop you from progressing, I generally enjoy those bugs of open world games like Oblivion, and how exposed the game is. Fun stuff.

I like it because it is vulnerable, like in real life there isn't just a way to approach things.

Also it was a game surrounded by mystery. Like in the real world, finding a place between the vegetation was complicated --I remember a cave in particular which was like 10 meters away from me and it took me like 10 minutes to find the entrance. Or looking for the mythical unicorn in the place where he was...

I also remember fondly a temple in the mountains, where you had to climb a long set of stairs to the aforementioned temple, where the devil was, that sent me chills down my spine for some reason --mainly because I loved the place so much. I used to wander around a lot before entering the door. I really liked to go there.

Some of the places in Oblivion seemed like real life mellow places you would like to visit.

Elder Scrolls has an unique lore surrounding it, be it because of the world they built, some characters, conversations, fun situations, or just bugs. When this happens you realize it's a very special, unique game.

Here it is a good resource of material that explains it perfectly. Great stuff.

That's because of a bug where you can duplicate almost everything as much as you want:

:smile:

Love this one

This one is amazing too :smile:

Very fun too

Wow this one :smile: -someone pressed the publishing button there- :smile:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki

Its strange that the game is so close to release and we have seen practically nothing of this game. No mission has been shown in its entirety at all :???: !

They kept things silent about Oblivion too. Like, for example, the horrible pea soup terrain was unseen until release. They strategically kept it out of all videos and shots.

I'm still undecided of whether to buy this straight away at launch or to wait until the PC community has ironed out all the kinks.

Same here, I fully expect this to be the best game since Oblivion which makes me want it on day one. But then Oblivion was vastly better with some decent mods so I also want to wait until they are available. Tough choice!

Guess I'll just amuse myself with Rage or Crysis 2 in the meantime! It's a good time to be a gamer - on any platform!

That video looks like it is console version, they would probably turn the settings to max if they're showing off the PC version. Plus it says to press (A) to activate the standing stone so I guess it's the 360 version.

What's amazing to me is how even though it's 4+ years between each Elder Scroll's game, they all manage to impress the hell out of me in terms of their scope and ambition despite how much games and technology advance in that time. AND they usually have the best soundtrack of the year. So hyped.

It is looking very good, I have to admit. the framerate looks promising too (hope it's not artificially smoothed for PR purposes). That ice spell looks pretty awesome. Never played Oblivion, but magic in Morrowind was woefully underpowered.

It is looking very good, I have to admit. the framerate looks promising too (hope it's not artificially smoothed for PR purposes). That ice spell looks pretty awesome. Never played Oblivion, but magic in Morrowind was woefully underpowered.

Wouldn't say the framerate looks good. It's almost a slideshow when he kills the spriggan from 0.37-0.40. Screen tearing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back