Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

Got a time index for the roofs or the branches? Are you sure it's not just texture sampling issues?

Whatever the platform is, I'm not that impressed... lighting, artwork aren't as good as they could or should be. Sure, there is scale, but it just doesn't look nice.

1:19 - roofs
hm... and you mean the edges right? Well, what's apparent to me is that the near-vertical edges are MSAA'd...

1:17 - branch
Is that in the dark scene before the transition? All that stuff at the bottom of the screen are alpha textures.

1:35 - exit from the cave
Artefacts from the fog rendered behind. Same thing can be seen at the stone arches around 2:15-2:21

1:51 - branches on the left behind the character
All the shimmering there are from the alpha textures.. :) I'd say the only modeled bits there are the three horizontal branches with snow cover, but it's hard to make out.

Needs more cows with big scale utters. :yes:

:p

Ummm.. fresh milk for my protein blends! :D

Anyway have to say I do like the artwork and scene direction. Looks cluttered and believable unlike Oblivions that mostly just looked like it was auto generated with some tool.

Saw the gameplay footage and was impressed, very impressed for a console. Though it's hard to tell from a simple Youtube stream, I thought it was PC footage at first.

I don't see the problem with SpeedTree, it practically singlehandedly made Oblivion's landscapes look great - first seeing all the properly rendered trees and forests was a real "this is next gen" moment for me

IIRC, wasn't SpeedTree only used to create the trees and not actually used to render them in-game?

In Shogun 2, we replaced SpeedTree by hand made ones, the advantage is that they are more varied and have better poly count, also they don't look like "the usual trees", that you get when using a widely used template...

Every game is different, but I'd think they did it for similar reasons.

Oh heeeeell yes! I just got confirmation I'll be seeing some Bethesda games at E3, and this of course includes Skyrim! :D You can bet your ass I'll be reporting back.

Yup, Oblivion may well be my no1 game of all time. I'm really looking forward to this but not so much looking forward to losing another 2 months of my life to it!

EDIT: Actually make that 3.

Eurogamer Quakecon preview:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-04-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-hands-on-preview

I like how they've made improvements to the inventory GUI, being able to inspect items in 3D is a nice touch, I've always wanted to do that rather only being able to see them on your character.

I wonder if they'll drop the 4xMSAA? they're currently using on 360 and implement FXAA instead - I hope they do if that allows them to push out the draw distance/LODs or something.

I hope they let you level up in relation to NPC's in this game. I heard that was an issue in Oblivion which is why I never played it stock and used a leveling mod which worked perfectly (OOO). If the same issue effects Skyrim then I'll probably have to wait a couple of months to pick it up.

40 minutes of offscreen gameplay video from Quakecon (watch in 720p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZdYoLAzM4&feature=related

Must say, I am quite impressed at how much better this looks than Oblivion and even Fallout 3.
Animations in are thankfully improve over Oblivion, though still quite jarring at times (eg the wolf fight, how the archer attacking at the 9 minute mark just seems to slides around)

The new menus seem extremely well done, probably the best I've seen in a game - love the idea of constellations as skill trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
The graphics are stunning. Easily up there with the best available today and that's just the 360 version! He did say the PC version would look "way better" but I'll take that with a pinch of salt until I see it as he was obviously playing up for the crowd. Menu system is also excellent, a vast, vast improvement over Oblivion. Animations are also hugely improved. Gameplay from what little was in there looked to be at least Oblivion level.

In short, this is shaping up to be potentially the best game ever made!

Back