Beat Sketchers (PS3 / Move)

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Since Move titles should now have their own thread and I just bought the full version of Beat Sketchers, here we go. :) I did my first (well, actually second) video today and I made some facebook shots earlier with the demo version.

The final version has a surprising amount of handholding (not a bad idea). There's also a lot of useful little things like being able to save up to 15 drawings you're working on, being able to draw over your own pictures, being able to save only the drawing or the drawing with the current background, being able to draw with magic Markers (quite fun as they have a lighting/blend thing going), and so on.

Here's the video I did tonight with my son, playing one of the challenges, with, well as you can see, a little orange handicap.

The Orange handicap is so sweet :) !
Btw, was it supposed to turn out meaningful- the drawing ! Didn't look like anything once completed. I was thinking of getting this for my niece but can't really figure out what kindof game is it other than being a painting app.

The Orange handicap is so sweet :) !
Btw, was it supposed to turn out meaningful- the drawing ! Didn't look like anything once completed. I was thinking of getting this for my niece but can't really figure out what kindof game is it other than being a painting app.

It's definitely a painting app (with recording options, export to xmb etc), but with some games in there, varying from very simple fill the screen as fast as possible, to drawing lines between colored blocks, to the thing you see here, which basically means you have to match both the pattern and the rhythm it was drawn in as well as you can.

These were supposed to be a bunch of grapes, by the way ;)

It's very fun and versatile (again, great for pictionary) and I highly recommend it, especially for the PSN price. I got more than my money's worth out of the demo already.

Good for expression and fooling around. e.g., Paint a mustache over my kid's face and watch him giggle.
I'd fire the demo up to pull him away from Farm Story and other trivial casual games, show him how to draw.

If PS3 can launch faster, I may actually use it more often. Sometimes I need to find a pen and paper to illustrate new concepts to the little kid, 'specially technical drawings. It can be time consuming to find the right Google image.

If they add analysis to the drawing and animate/identify my drawing, all the better. But Beat Sketcher is just a simple doodling pad with rhythm and melody.

Hmmm..played around more with the demo today. Today, I knew what I wanted to paint, it worked really well.

As a Comparison:

This is the first day I tried Beat Sketchers(the day I got Move):

63274_471441376355_676161355_6256049_1044054_n.jpg

This is my second try, i made it just now, drawing over my video feed:

154292_471441441355_676161355_6256050_5207558_n.jpg

Thats my bed room (has an R2 and lots of Infamous posters too :) ! I had a AC poster, I grew tired of, and Doom 3 ones got old (my mom threw them away without telling me))

Its pretty impressive, but as you can see in the second Image, My cam is a little tilted. So, drawing that way was a little difficult as it was a skewed plane I was drawing on. But it works well.

One question, Does the full version allow you to draw over previously made images? Cos I discovered the stamp tool only now, and I could have placed "stamps" of those posters on this drawing,but the demo doesn't let you load saved pics. Does the full version let you? Does it let you draw on layers like Photoshop?

I think I am buying Beat Sketchers ! Would it let me make pics like these:
155621_466229796355_676161355_6179742_777394_n.jpg

150356_466229616355_676161355_6179738_602821_n.jpg

:)

(BTW, looking at my room, it lacks a good MGS poster ! Where can I get a high res Snake? )

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not quite photoshop, no. But you can take any existing picture (of, for instance, say, your room ;) ) and allow you to draw over it. It also comes with a fairly extensive library of 'coloring templates' that are nice if you have a kid. :)

What is kind of nice is that the full version Also, what would help with the other drawings you're showing, is that the full version also has markers which can help you achieve that kind of hand drawing effect. I haven't noticed a really good pencil type though, but the marker is pretty good. I see I haven't uploaded a drawing I did with that yet, or I could have shown you.

Holy crap, that's awesome RenegadeRock. I got my Beat Sketcher a week ago. Completed a few drawing challenges. They are more difficult than I thought, my kid can't play (Not quick and precise enough :( ). They should have a kids mode.

Other than that, I use it to scribble with my kid for fun. ^_^
I :love: the little guy when he giggles uncontrollably.

@Patsu: it ain't that difficult . I ts just a matter of knowing what u want to draw before picking up your pencil. If you just stare at an empty paper /screen , you'll most probably end up with scribbles that are interesting only to u ;) ! Also, try faster broad strokes . If you draw slowly your hand will shake n make a mess.

@Arwin: Does it have an online gallery where can share and view what others have come up with ?
What I noticed while drawing was that it was difficult to draw near the edges of the screen. Maybe due barrel distortion or maybe i should stand further away! Also, I find the smallest brush size still too big. I want thinner strokes! I usually end up twisting the paint brush to make it thinner.

2llhmip.png

Heres to holidays !! :)

Ha ha, Create mode is easy. We can draw anything we want. The controller behaves exactly like a big crayon.

It's the Challenge mode that is not so easy for a 5 year old (8 may be fine). You have to trace the given path quickly. It gets better after some practices.

EDIT: We had a competition in Challenge mode today between my wife and me. A little surprised that she liked it, and insisted on beating my scores repeatedly. I thought it's a tool for me to school my kid. :p

If you have a little 5 year old, let him try the snow man. It's the easiest challenge despite being the 5th stage. Our kid replayed the challenge until he's tired. ^_^

The Challenge mode focuses on rhythm over sketching. If you can't trace the path, try to keep up with the rhythm.

At some point, I wonder why the developer didn't include a drum set mode. With 2 Move controllers, we can easily drum to the included music in the game. They are pretty nice.

Hmph… 5 year old can silver a few Challenge modes drawing now. So it's not as difficult as I thought.

The starting experience is a little intimidating for them regardless. If Sony wants to make a family game (including kids), the starting experience needs to be improved (See how GT5 makes racing more casual and fun for newbies, and yet maintains the realism).

Like I asked earlier, is there any kind of online gallery where you can upload your artwork/funny pics and where you can see what others are creating? That would be so cool and inspiring to try out different styles.

RenegadeRocks said:
Like I asked earlier, is there any kind of online gallery where you can upload your artwork/funny pics and where you can see what others are creating? That would be so cool and inspiring to try out different styles.

You just export them to XMB and then to Facebook, Picasa or Youtube through the various XMB apps.

Yeah, in-game or standardize on a common edit + upload to websites + home page mechanism.

They already have free EyeCreate tool for editing PSEye images.
Photo Gallery app can upload to FaceBook, Picassa. Youtube upload is done via web browser now ?
Their new Jive platform is supposed to allow users to host their own pages. In any case, Sony already has singstar.com and Viddler as a video upload platform.

These should really be rolled into one simple tool, for all games.

The PS Blog has more user videos and pictures for Beat Sketcher:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ser-videos-sizzle-updated-demo-now-available/

I can't find a patch note, but I did see a few user posts about the Beat Sketcher demo not working on some PS3s. Perhaps, the updated demo fixed that.

It says updated Demo! What's new in the new demo?

At the very least they will have fixed the stupid controller port bug (the old demo expects the controller to be on port 7, when for many the Move controller will be on port 6 by default). This is why some people think it's not working, when it's just a matter of reassigning the controller to a different port.

I expect though that they will have put one or too tasters of the other modes into the demo now as well?

I couldn't get the demo to work. It just freezes at the beginning. So is the new demo supposed to fix this?

Back