Sony Posts its numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what i remember from a old interview with the head of SCEE is that Europe and UK constituted about 80% of sales of consoles and software, the other 20% spread amongst the 80-90 countries that fall under SCEE.
I have no doubt that 20% is increased from back then. US/Europe is economically stagnating while Asia/Middle East is booming.

Where do you get this from, because worldwide PS3 sold more software from Jul 2009-Jun 2010.

It sounds like he is blending the 50% part from the amount of most top AAA titles sold in the U.S. with the total worldwide install base of both companies (the few percentage points part).

It sounds like he is blending the 50% part from the amount of most top AAA titles sold in the U.S. with the total worldwide install base of both companies (the few percentage points part).

No he used the vgchartz number for total software sales per system since launch and rounded it up to 50% from 42.8% (post 181). I tried to explain some reasons why X360 has sold more software in my previous post.

No he used the vgchartz number for total software sales per system since launch and rounded it up to 50% from 42.8% (post 181). I tried to explain some reasons why X360 has sold more software in my previous post.

:LOL: well that sure is quite a jump... 7.2% more software sales just down to rounding error :cool:

That should account for some of that "mysterious" disparity :cool:

I have no doubt that 20% is increased from back then. US/Europe is economically stagnating while Asia/Middle East is booming.

While US/Europe is economically stagnating, the video game market isn't in those markets. And regardless of how well those markets are doing right now the ASP of console has gone up rather dramatically during this gen. This is more likely to have a negative effect on those markets than the US/Europe/Japan markets.

This trend is more "dangerous":
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3152...atforms_Amid_Challenges_For_Console_Space.php

As the traditional console retail game market has faced recent growth challenges alongside new business models, Disney says it's ready to shift its attention in order to be profitable. It's already made its digital and social intentions clear with the up to $763.2 million purchase of Playdom, and CEO Bob Iger says the company wants to keep diversifying.

SOE, waddup ?

While US/Europe is economically stagnating, the video game market isn't in those markets. And regardless of how well those markets are doing right now the ASP of console has gone up rather dramatically during this gen. This is more likely to have a negative effect on those markets than the US/Europe/Japan markets.

I'm from one of those countries, and traveling back and forth between for the past 10 years, the amount of economic improvement is staggering, where the US mainly stayed still.

In fact, economic prosperity is why I first came to the US, and now I'm thinking of going back because of this economic catch-up.

Gdp_accumulated_change.png

I don't think it is altogether surprising that the traditional media companies (Sony, Disney, News Corp, Time Warner, Viacom and Universal) are buying game companies. It makes sense really. They need to start tapping into a new revenue source but the only one of these which has actually broken the market is Sony for obvious reasons, while Disney are the best of the rest. It's similar to how traditional media moved into the internet, but I would guess they are moving more carefully this time and looking for the next facebook rather than the MySpace.

Where do you get this from, because worldwide PS3 sold more software from Jul 2009-Jun 2010.

Are you absolutely positive about that, because company financial statements from the big publishers tends to contradict your assertions. Remember these are for worldwide sales.

EA - http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=496057

For Quarter ending 06/30/10 (that's Q1 FY11 for them)

X360 - 262 million
PS3 - 209 million

FY10 is also in X360's favor

X360 - 868 million
PS3 - 771 million

Activision - http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1104659-10-56564

For FY ending 09/30/10

X360 - 751 million
PS3 - 595 million

UBIsoft - http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/2306.pdf

For FY ending 31/03/10 - Unfortunately only in percentages. Yay, PS3 is ahead this time.

X360 - 22%
PS3 - 23%

Unfortunately it doesn't end well.

For Q1 (quarter ending 06/30/2010) of the current fiscal year
http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/2323.pdf

X360 - 45%
PS3 - 17%

Also interesting in their report. They note that NA versus EU sales is roughly equal, 50% vs 49% for FY 2009/10. But for Q1 FY 2010/11 it's 52% NA and 39% EU, but at least if you add in the rest of the world it comes to 48%. I'm not sure the myth that software sells better in Europe is bolstered by this.

Take Two -
Q1/10 - http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/86/86428/10ks10qs/TTWO-20100310-10Q-20100131.pdf
Q2/10 - http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/86/86428/10ks10qs/TTWO-20100609-10Q-20100430.pdf
Q3/10 - http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NjIxMjl8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

For FY ending 31/07/10 (adding up 3 quarters so far)

X360 - 350.5 million
PS3 - 278.0 million

Even larger discrepency between NA (503 million) and EU+all other countries (282 million).

Japanese pubs don't release numbers for the seperate consoles that I've seen. Square Enix is probably a healthy lead for PS3 since their sales out of Japan are miniscule, roughly 4.4% for NA and 4.3% for Europe and less than one third of a percent for Asia. Also the majority of their sales are on DS and PSP with healthy sales on PS2, so it's almost impossible to say how much of a lead they have there.

Capcom is almost impossible to tell as they do a lot better than SE in all territories but also have a strong presence on DS and PSP.

Sega is in the same boat with Capcom. Although I think Sega does better on X360 in the west and on PS3 in Japan itself.

So it's quite debatable whether software definitively sells better on one console versus the other.

For western devs, software definitely sells better on X360 worldwide. For Japanese pubs, it definitely swings in favor of PS3 for Square Enix. But it's far more debatable when it comes to Capcom or Sega.

Regards,
SB

Isn't the difference in those number attributable to the install base difference between the two consoles? And since the PS3 numbers are relatively close the XB numbers with a smaller user base wouldn't that indicate that more units are being sold on the PS3 just to less people?

How does the Sony published exclusives compare to the Microsoft exclusives, or maybe those numbers are hard to get?

Isn't the difference in those number attributable to the install base difference between the two consoles? And since the PS3 numbers are relatively close the XB numbers with a smaller user base wouldn't that indicate that more units are being sold on the PS3 just to less people?

Install base difference worldwide is a single digit %.

heres one, konami (bigger than ubisoft,take two etc)
http://www.konami.co.jp/en/ir/ir-data/meeting/2010/1104.pdf
ps3 29%
psp 28%
ds 14%
wii 12%
xb 8%
ps2 6%
pc 3%

you're making a similar mistake as before, eg the US is a good indication how something is selling worldwide. Look at the whole picture

Numbers I posted are worldwide.

For Konami only using FY2011 1H (Apr. - Sep. 2010) due to them not providing a console or Games breakdown for full numbers FY2010

1,405,339,647 USD (using current Yen -> USD conversion) for Konami. Sounds like a Lot yes?

But of that only 322,815,497 USD is for Computer and Video Games (Pg.5).

PS3 (29%) - 93,616,494 USD
X360 (8%) - 25,825,239 USD

Oh and that's of course, assuming sale price of all software titles are equal, which they aren't. So it's a rough estimate at best for pure dollar value. As there's no way to account for Platinum (discouted) tites, etc.

Ummm, hardly bigger than either UBIsoft or Take Two. That's just a little less than 120 million for 2 Quarters. That's just a little over 1 Quarter of X360 on Take Two. And much less than 1Q of X360+PS3 sales for Take Two.

That's 2 Quarters and only barely erases the X360 WW lead from EA for its last quarter.

But it does reverse the trends for Western Devs. As PS3 has the lead and EU+world has higher sales than NA. It doesn't really impact WW software sales significantly, however. I just don't see the other Japanese pubs changing things so drasticly that PS3 will take a noticeable WW lead. Of course part of that is how much Soccer titles sell for Konami (over one third of all software titles), a game segment that's particularly low in the US. And probably accounts for all the difference and then some between EU and US, although not for Japan. So it makes sense that Konami does far better in EU+rest of world. I'm not sure how large a segment soccer is for the other Japanese pubs.

One thing that should be an eye opener for all those PSP sucks and is a failure people however. 28% of sales on PSP versus 14% of sales on DS.

Regards,
SB

One thing that should be an eye opener for all those PSP sucks and is a failure people however. 28% of sales on PSP versus 14% of sales on DS.

Regards,
SB

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is probably pretty much the only reason for that. I wonder how that will look once 3DS get's its MGS game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back