NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Something doesn't quite add up with that. I'd expect the higher clocks and especially boost clock of the 660 Ti to have a higher TDP than the 670 even taking the missing shader block into consideration.

Something doesn't quite add up with that. I'd expect the higher clocks and especially boost clock of the 660 Ti to have a higher TDP than the 670 even taking the missing shader block into consideration.

You will never find a 670 who really work at 980mhz .. they all run at 1054+ mhz.. ( minimum ) ... ( reference cards used in press review was nearly all run at 1084+ mhz in all games ). And ofc the 1033mhz can be from this particular card.

You will never find a 670 who really work at 980mhz .. they all run at 1054+ mhz.. ( minimum ) ... ( reference cards used in press review was nearly all run at 1084+ mhz in all games ). And ofc the 1033mhz can be from this particular card.

Yes but I'm assuming the same applies to the 660 Ti. The clock increase is enough to make me think there is a voltage increase there.

Can 15% higher clocks and 15% less shaders also lead to 15% lower TDP? The really annoying thing about this is, Nvidia can seed the absolute best of the chips (ie chips that would normally make 680's) to the press as "660 Ti's", when in reality the average 660 Ti chip could be an awful lot worse.

With 1152SPs surely they could make a specialized chip in a few months time with a smaller die. These specs seem to make sense to me.

Yes but I'm assuming the same applies to the 660 Ti. The clock increase is enough to make me think there is a voltage increase there.

Can 15% higher clocks and 15% less shaders also lead to 15% lower TDP? The really annoying thing about this is, Nvidia can seed the absolute best of the chips (ie chips that would normally make 680's) to the press as "660 Ti's", when in reality the average 660 Ti chip could be an awful lot worse.

Yes but we dont know from what card is coming thoses GPU-Z screenshots, could be a OC models send from an AIB. On the other way, Nvidia could have set higher turbo clock speed, but this time the 1033mhz is the average, not the minimum "warranty" . Dont forget the turboclock is a good way to set a maximum tdp but trying to get the max performance within this limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm sure every devoted 3DMark 11 player is thrilled, but otherwise it looks to be 90~95% as fast as the 670, which puts it roughly on the same level as the 7950.

And I'm sure every devoted 3DMark 11 player is thrilled, but otherwise it looks to be 90~95% as fast as the 670, which puts it roughly on the same level as the 7950.

better than I expected, though I think the 1152cc ... expect the final specifications and especially to see how it goes in games, but it looks really promising

jimbo75 said:
So hard to judge its actual performance due to Baxter's ludicrous choice of games.
I dare suggest that it's supremely easy to judge actual performance for the games that he tested. For the non-ludicrous games he selected (that means AMD friendly?) such as Metro 2033, the performance degradation vs a GTX 670 is pretty much the same as for other, ludicrous, games. So it's hard to see what's so hard about extrapolation these results to other games...

I dare suggest that it's supremely easy to judge actual performance for the games that he tested. For the non-ludicrous games he selected (that means AMD friendly?) such as Metro 2033, the performance degradation vs a GTX 670 is pretty much the same as for other, ludicrous, games. So it's hard to see what's so hard about extrapolation these results to other games...

Metro 2033 is a TWIMTBP game, along with 5 others in that list.

I guess I meant to say "Tweaktown is a joke and I wouldn't expect many other sites to conclude what Baxtor does".

It seems they used Catalyst 12.4 for all Radeons except 7970 GE, which was tested on 12.7 (see Dirt 3, HD 7970 GE is 35% faster than original HD 7970...).

It seems they used Catalyst 12.4 for all Radeons except 7970 GE, which was tested on 12.7 (see Dirt 3, HD 7970 GE is 35% faster than original HD 7970...).

yes you are right, or you will have the standard 7970 faster of the 680 in this game. ( Dirt3 results have become an easy way for control if their have re test the cards or just use old numbers ) As you mention more of 30fps difference is not due to the 7970GHZ clock speed there.

Funny, it totally contradicts the rumors with the 2 gpu-z screenshots and spec we have seen lately.. I dont know what is doing Nvidia but i start to ask me how many 660TI they have do this last 3 months.

The choice of games is strange, but in reality he have set 2 games who are faster on AMD cards ( Metro2033 and AVP ) and 2 games who are in general faster on Nvidia ( mafiaII and Just cause2 ).. Dirt3 sadly will not represent anything by using old drivers. ( note he can use Dirt: Showdown, it will be funny, but not fair for Nvidia )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back