HTML5 on consoles

It's interesting that Vudu and Dixv TV both claim support from the same LG blu-ray players and Divx TV says it's installed on 350 million devices. That would make me believe that both run on a cross platform engine in these devices or specifications from Silicon on a chip manufacturers for Video Codec and Javascript engine. I.E. the support for the applications is in the platform.

Hmm... claiming support on 350 million devices is different from saying one software runs on 350 million devices. They may support multiple code base at the same time (although the newer platforms may share more code)

Hmm... claiming support on 350 million devices is different from saying one software runs on 350 million devices. They may support multiple code base at the same time (although the newer platforms may share more code)

Yes, it shocked me too. I have to assume there is a misunderstanding on my part possibly intentionally created by Divx. This large number may be partially explained by references to SOC by Broadcom and others for javascript and video codecs beginning late last year and by PS3, Wii and Xbox also being lumped into this. Both Vudu and Dixv mentioned game consoles for supported platforms.

The Xbox with Siverlight has had support for javascript and DRM codecs (ultraviolet allows the DRM to be compatible)

The Wii for a year now has had javascript support outside the browser (lite version of Air), Netflix from a disk and Playon support from inside the browser show codec support and possibly DRM.

The PS3 did not have but now may have javascript outside the browser and DRM player but did/does have the codecs.

And of course we have all iOS products that support apps with their webkit2, Siverlight or Air on PCs and Android platforms with Air.

If you look at the ultraviolet partners and the Adobe Air open screen partners there is quite a bit of crossover; supporting cross platform compatibility, cloud computing and Ultraviolet. For Example; Best Buy which is a Ultraviolet partner is partnering with Sonic Solutions which is an Adobe Open Screen partner which purchased Divx to support Ultraviolet streaming to multiple platforms. Walmart purchased Vudu for the same purpose. The PS3 is one of the hardware display platforms that must display the streams from Best Buy and Walmart.

http://www.uvvu.com/members.html

Adobe, Akamai, Alcatel-Lucent, Arris, Arxan Technologies, Ascent Media, Best Buy, BT, CableLabs, Catch Media, CinemaNow, Cineplex Entertainment, Cisco, Comcast, Cox Communications, CSG Systems, Deluxe, DivX, Dolby, DTS, FilmFlex, Fox Entertainment, Hewlett-Packard, Huawei Technologies, IBM, Intel, Irdeto, LG Electronics, Liberty Global, Lionsgate, LOVEFiLM, Marvell Semiconductor, Microsoft, MOD Systems, Motorola, Nagravision, NBC Universal, NDS Group, Netflix, Neustar, Nokia, Panasonic, Paramount Pictures, Philips, RIAA, Red Bee Media, Rovi, Saffron Digital, Samsung, Sonic Solutions, Sony, Switch Communications, Technicolor, Tesco, Toshiba, Verance, Verimatrix, VeriSign, Warner Brothers, Widevine Technologies, Zoran

This logo will start appearing on movies for sale (designed for digital downloads and DVDs/Blu-ray Discs), in retailers’ stores and online offerings, and on devices or the apps that run on them. It will signify that everything with the UltraViolet logo is designed to give consumers a consistent, easy and “just works” experience – no matter who makes it or where it’s purchased.

http://www.openscreenproject.org/
The Open Screen Project™ is an industry-wide initiative, led by Adobe and backed by other industry leaders who all share one clear vision: Enable consumers to engage with rich Internet experiences seamlessly across any device, anywhere.

Partners:

Adobe
AMD
Antena 3
Atlantic Records
ARM
Associated Press
BBC
Burda Digital Systems
CELL
Chunghwa Telecom
Cisco
Comcast
Condé Nast
Daum
Disney Interactive Media Group
EPIX
FOX Mobile Group
Freescale Semiconductor
Google
HTC Imagination Technologies
Intel
LG Electronics
Lionsgate
Marvell
MIPS Technologies (Produces most of the System on Silicon chips for CE platforms)
Motorola
Movial
MTV Networks
NBC Universal
Nokia
NTT DOCOMO
NVIDIA
OpenPeak
OpenTV
Palm
Paramount
PBS
Qualcomm QNX Software Systems
Research in Motion
RTL Interactive
Sagemcom
Samsung
Sonic Solutions
Sony Ericsson
ST-Ericsson
STMicroelectronics
STERN
Symbian Foundation
Teleca
Texas Instruments
The New York Times
Tomorrow Focus Technologies
Toshiba
Verizon Wireless
Vizio
Wind River
ZiiLABS

Last edited by a moderator:
Old news but possibly still true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/10/digital_media_anywhere.html

Today, we are announcing that in partnership with Adobe we are building a platform-neutral download client.

Using Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR), we intend to make BBC iPlayer download functionality available on Mac, Linux and Windows for the first time later this year. Whatever platform you use, you'll now be able to download TV programmes from the BBC to watch later - on the train, in the garden, or wherever you like.

Given our obligations to rights-holders and the BBC Trust, these programmes are protected with DRM, but in a way that shouldn't affect your enjoyment of our programmes, whatever platform you've chosen.

The lack of mention of consoles or PS3 makes this one less reason to believe PS3 has full AIR runtime support.

I will have to agree here and the points I have been making would support a Flash lite version which Adobe also supports and did provide for the Wii.

Flash lite because the platform (Wii) couldn't support a Full Air 2.0 version and had to use a Lite version. Air 2.5 is designed for limited resource platforms so there is no reason from a usability viewpoint to not port Air 2.5 to the PS3.

If Chrome is coming to the PS3, the work in porting Air 2.5 would have to be done in any case as Flash 10.1 is included in Chrome and Air 2.5 is essentially the same as Flash 10.1. It would be a perfect test for the feasibility of porting Chrome with roughly only 1/5th the work.

Porting a current version of Flash Lite to support Flash 3.5 streams while easier would be wasted effort. You would also have to provide javascript support in addition to Flash player lite. That's two products not one; Adobe Flash Lite 3 and Adobe Media Player software..

Home Client 1.4 now provides voice chat using Groups which is so similar to the technique described for P2P in Air 2.5 as to support speculation that Sony is using Air 2.5 to support Group Chat in Home. Air's P2P can also reduce server load.

One last point: It was mentioned in the comments for the link I provided that Adobe had not at that time provided support for CE equipment and that included Game consoles as well as TVs and Blu-Ray players. ALL new Samsung Blu-Ray players now have Air 2.5 support. You don't appear to have a problem believing that Air is now in Blu-Ray players, or that it's announced as coming for Samsung TVs...just the PS3, perhaps because Samsung is more open and has posted this information and Sony has not.

The Adobe sponsored Open Screen Project and UltraViolet have essentially the same goals. IF Adobe is providing Air 2.5 for blu-ray players they certainly would provide it for a Game Console that is considered a top end Blu-Ray player. So I assume the arguments against this revolve around Sony not porting it or allowing it on the PS3 for some reason.

I have a hard time finding any reason for Sony to not port Air 2.5 to the PS3.

Downloaded application size for "bytecode" client by player:

http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2009/03/30/rich-runtime-install-sizes-matrix/

This is inside browser and pre-Air 2.5

Flash Player 10........... 3.65 MB
MBSilverlight 2............ 6.05 MB
Silverlight 3.................. 9.25 MB
JavaFX 1.1.1...............18.75 MB

Another advantage for Flash is the size of both the client "bytecode" and the Flash (Air 2.5) Runtime engine appears to be smaller.

The group chat mechanism in Home is rather common. It may have nothing to do with AIR.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/24/adobe-air-peer-to-peer-video-call-concept-android-app-hands-on/

http://www.flashrealtime.com/peer-to-peer-multicast-in-new-flash-player-101/

Yup, it's another possible but hard to prove. I suspect if you watch the router send and receive lights while using Home's group chat and notice both lights flashing when you are not talking or sending commands (no movement or voice) while others are talking then this not so common feature of P2P AIR might be shown in Home 1.4. Same might apply to future streaming video from the theatre(s). Your PS3 is in addition to receiving and displaying media from Home is acting like a server for other PS3s by relaying audio/video. This reduces the load on the Home server which in the past was the reason for Chat being removed from home. If the ULA doesn't spell out the ability for Sony to use part of your IP bandwidth to serve other PS3s I expect it will soon be changed.

Air's P2P might be used for XGC at some point.

And yes it would not be as difficult to custom write the same features (Air P2P) and add it to the Home client and Server as writing the support for Flash 3.5 IPTV streams. I also expect Adaptive streaming to show up for Home's theater and the PSN store.

Also, Home is written in a cross platform language (Lua) and compiled to bytecode to run on the Home client (runtime engine). This choice of language/platform that is much less efficient may mean that at some point Home might be available on other hardware platforms. The PSP2 might be powerful enough to support it ( client runtime engine) and Sony laptops are certainly capable.

Correct me if I'm in error but the way the Home Client uses HD cache has restrictions that do not make sense unless there are rules in place as to the use for HD space that is SD memory card based as in handheld memory instead of Hard Disk as in PC. I thought this might be for security reasons but the PS3 already encrypts files on the Hard Disk. It currently does not cache the graphics just caches the Lua bytecode which the client uses to generate the graphics. IF SD memory is to be used in the future for storage on a handheld for instance, it is not fast enough to make caching graphics practical and would use a larger portion of the SD memory for graphics storage than for Lua descriptors of that graphics.

What's possible in the future for the PS3 and other platforms with Air 2.5 and Chrome are of more interest to me but I got sidetracked into the "Proof issue" as that must come first or what I speculate is considered "WILD".

For instance, Samsung's choice to included Air 2.5 in Blu-ray players and TVs rather than go with Google TV is an indicator of the future of CE. For one, it's easier from a hardware point of view to support and applications might be more attractive to consumers than web pages. So cross platform Air applications will be available from a Samsung store for CE equipment. I think I mentioned that I believe Air will be the ultraviolet cross platform application engine.

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2010/07/dece_shifts_to_ultra
violet.html

Earlier this week, an industry consortium in which Adobe is a founder made some significant announcements. I wanted to help readers of this blog parse the information that was shared and also provide the Adobe/Flash/Flash Access perspective.

The group is known as DECE or Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, and I’ve written about it before. As of this week, we’ve announced a much more user-friendly brand, UltraViolet. From a purely personal perspective, I have to say that this brand is growing on me — the geek in me likes the implied “beyond blue” (read Blu-Ray). There’s even a website, www.uvvu.com and an associated logo.

You may be asking yourself: So… what does this really mean to me? I think the biggest winner here is the consumer. The model behind UltraViolet, and its main reason for existence, is to create a more seamless experience for purchasing/enjoying premium digital content. In the UVVU universe, a user can buy devices from different retailers and have it play on different devices.

This seems like a pretty obvious thing, but today’s electronic content distribution ecosystem based on silos where a device is “captive” to a given content service does not reflect this. Imagine if you needed a stack of different DVD/BluRay players for content from different studios that you buy from different retailers. That would be crazy, right? Well, that’s the status quo today for electronic content distribution, which UltraViolet hopes to overcome.

What’s in it for the close to 60 member companies from different industries participating in DECE/UVVU? Our shared vision is to create a much bigger pie for electronic content distribution (which today only represents a small percentage of all film/video content sold) by removing some of these artificial barriers. By creating the basic infrastructure, UltraViolet also creates opportunities for innovation in business models by everyone who wants to participate. (You don’t need to be a DECE member in order to offer UltraViolet products or services.)

Is this a done deal? My opinion is that it is still very early days for electronic content distribution in general, and UltraViolet in particular. I’m convinced that in the next several years we will see significant innovation in the content distribution space. In times of significant churn in business models, key players, technologies and consumer expectations, such as the one we live in right now, it is hard to predict what will become the new normal. I believe in the vision of UVVU, now we need to see some actual market adoption and see how well everyone executes to deliver on the vision.

From Adobe’s perspective, we see DECE/UltraViolet as highly complementary to our efforts to help drive rich user experiences around content. For instance, the Open Screen Project is an Adobe-led initiative with close to 80 members (many of them also participating in DECE) working together to help establish a consistent execution runtime across a wide range of devices.

More specifically, DECE’s adoption of Flash Access as an approved content protection solution means that UltraViolet content will be able to flow to Flash-enabled PCs and other devices. Flash Access 2.0 shipped in May of this year, and is supported in Flash Player 10.1 and Adobe AIR 2.0, which shipped in June. Conversely, the ability for people to create interactive experiences around UltraViolet content using the #1 platform for video on the Web means that DECE gets very broad reach right from the start. Everyone wins, especially consumers who will soon be able to purchase premium video without having to worry about which device it will play on. Well, mostly, as some device manufacturers may have their own reasons to not play in this ecosystem.

Your PS3 is in addition to receiving and displaying media from Home is acting like a server for other PS3s by relaying audio/video. This reduces the load on the Home server which in the past was the reason for Chat being removed from home. If the ULA doesn't spell out the ability for Sony to use part of your IP bandwidth to serve other PS3s I expect it will soon be changed.

Gah… it's a rather common P2P mechanism, not exclusive to AIR.

Also, Home is written in a cross platform language (Lua) and compiled to bytecode to run on the Home client (runtime engine). This choice of language/platform that is much less efficient may mean that at some point Home might be available on other hardware platforms. The PSP2 might be powerful enough to support it ( client runtime engine) and Sony laptops are certainly capable.

Correct me if I'm in error but the way the Home Client uses HD cache has restrictions that do not make sense unless there are rules in place as to the use for HD space that is SD memory card based as in handheld memory instead of Hard Disk as in PC. I thought this might be for security reasons but the PS3 already encrypts files on the Hard Disk. It currently does not cache the graphics just caches the Lua bytecode which the client uses to generate the graphics. IF SD memory is to be used in the future for storage on a handheld for instance, it is not fast enough to make caching graphics practical and would use a larger portion of the SD memory for graphics storage than for Lua descriptors of that graphics.

Don't know how they use the cache but yes, Home is based on Lua:
http://www.jroller.com/jnicho02/entry/playstation_network_home

Lua is popular on PSP as a homebrew run-time. So a simplified version on PSP2 may be possible. Since the screen is smaller, they'd need to redesign the UI.

Gah… it's a rather common P2P mechanism, not exclusive to AIR.

Don't know how they use the cache but yes, Home is based on Lua:
http://www.jroller.com/jnicho02/entry/playstation_network_home

Lua is popular on PSP as a homebrew run-time. So a simplified version on PSP2 may be possible. Since the screen is smaller, they'd need to redesign the UI.

Home is almost there as a central point to launch games on multiple platforms as well as a site to go to for simpler games. Still needs work...

Went into Best Buy and they had a Display for the Samsung blu-ray and TVs with Air 2.5 and they were advertising Apps like Monopoly, bowling, Pandora of course, Vudu, Netflix...this across from the Google TV displays.

Home is almost there as a central point to launch games on multiple platforms as well as a site to go to for simpler games. Still needs work…

The adhoc party integration is encouraging, PS Home already has leaderboards. They need PSN and Blu-ray game developers to sign up ! Even when Polyphony was over-extended, they didn't use PS Home. I think the management and Sony first parties don't trust Home, or don't want to overload it.

It's probably difficult to shoehorn the Lua run-time into existing games. Relaunching in and out of Home is too time-consuming.

In any case, I think the first step to Home game launching is to implement a persistent party system in the game. That way, we only need to launch once into the game, and then quit back to Home in the end -- while maintaining the same people throughout the session.

The adhoc party integration is encouraging, PS Home already has leaderboards. They need PSN and Blu-ray game developers to sign up ! Even when Polyphony was over-extended, they didn't use PS Home. I think the management and Sony first parties don't trust Home, or don't want to overload it.

It's probably difficult to shoehorn the Lua run-time into existing games. Relaunching in and out of Home is too time-consuming.

In any case, I think the first step to Home game launching is to implement a persistent party system in the game. That way, we only need to launch once into the game, and then quit back to Home in the end -- while maintaining the same people throughout the session.

Beyond that I wonder if the Home development team responsible for the Client runtime engine is paralleling Google V8 or Webkit javascript engine design, I.E. JIT compiling bytecode to native code.

Also, how much of the Home client/ engine must remain in memory to keep Home active so that one doesn't have to load and unload then reload Home. Can they move to a more standard OpenGL for the display and have that modularized and used by a class of games meant to be used with Home so that only portions of Home would then need to be reloaded. I.E. both the game and Home would be using the same OpenGL drivers called by perhaps the same engine? It's the idea behind OpenGL WEB games inside browsers and Air games. Thought on this and the design of Open GL - Webkit will allow many features even with limited memory.

The above would also speed up porting to other platforms. This is part of my reasoning when I assume Air 2.5 is being used to add features. It's a tradeoff in possibly a larger runtime with Air loaded but more portability and optimized. It might even result in a smaller footprint for the Home engine.

Again the above is easily possible on the PS3 with a Hard Disk but if the design constraints assume SD memory at some point for storage the above is not happening.

What's to keep an Air javascript engine that JIT compiles to Open GL calls from accepting Lua bytecode to OpenGL, it's just a lookup table with exceptions, provide the table to the V8 or Squirrel fish extreme engine. The Home client then becomes an add-on to an Air 2.5 or Chrome port to multiple platforms. Or change from using Lua and have Home as a WEBGL game run from a Chrome Browser.

All the above requires a WEBKIT or Air in the PS3 and some thought and work. It's probably already in development as it's so obvious. It Gives Sony a LARGE advantage when WebGL games become popular on multiple platforms, provides a common site to launch from and the game would be downloaded for each session insuring DRM. We are talking more casual games though.

What's possible in the future for the PS3 and other platforms with Air 2.5 and Chrome are of more interest to me but I got sidetracked into the "Proof issue" as that must come first or what I speculate is considered "WILD".

For instance, Samsung's choice to included Air 2.5 in Blu-ray players and TVs rather than go with Google TV is an indicator of the future of CE. For one, it's easier from a hardware point of view to support and applications might be more attractive to consumers than web pages. So cross platform Air applications will be available from a Samsung store for CE equipment. I think I mentioned that I believe Air will be the ultraviolet cross platform application engine.

http://blogs.adobe.com/air/2010/10/max-spotlight-samsung-sessions-explore-building-and-monetizing-applications-for-tvs.html

For AIR developers, it will soon be possible to extend the reach of your applications from smart phones and desktop computers to the living room. If you are interested in learning more about the emerging TV application market, you will not want to miss the following two sessions presented by our colleagues at Samsung.

Learn about Samsung SDK to distribute your AIR apps to Samsung Smart TVs
Presenter: Jason Han, Product and Service Planning, Samsung Electronics America
Date: Wednesday, 1:30, Room 511C

Distributing and monetizing your AIR applications to millions of Samsung Smart TVs and Internet connected devices is easy with the Samsung SDK. Explore the Samsung SDK, the Samsung Apps, integration with Adobe AIR 2.5 and the app submittal process. Also learn about valuable resources such as test centers which are available to help ensure your success.

Free the TV – The New Opportunity in TV Applications
Presenter: Olivier Manuel, Director of Content
Date: Tuesday, 1:30pm in room 512

Samsung is freeing the TV, with its Samsung Apps line of televisions and Blu-ray players, which can download, install, and run apps. Samsung Apps is built into all Samsung 2010 Blu-ray players, Blu-ray Home Theaters, and most TVs 40’’ and larger. Now distributing content to the $150 billion TV market is as easy as creating an app! And, Samsung is offering $500,000 in cash and prizes for the best looking, most brilliantly conceived, and most functional apps. At this session you’ll learn more about this app contest, the new market for TV applications, and what makes a great TV app.

Others will follow this model for high end CE.

By the way, most of the above Air applications can also be used on Samsung Cell phones which will also have Air runtime support. Only if platform dependent features are used will the applications be limited to that platform. If they use the Ultraviolet model a game purchased for your TV would also be usable on your cell phone for no extra charge.

Many have professed a belief that Sony will never allow third party applications on the PS3. With Samsung supporting Air 2.5 in their TVs and Blu-Ray players with more to follow Samsung's lead and Samsung selling Air applications in a Samsung Store, the future in CE will have third party applications providing many new and exciting features. Imagine the Sony flagship PS3 as the only CE (blu-ray player) product without these new and exciting abilities. Sony must match or exceed others to attract sales so I believe we will eventually have cross platform Air applications and possibly Android applications on the PS3.

The Xbox currently does not allow WEB browser access but might allow WEB applications using Silverlight or Air. In fact, to overcome the advantage the PS3 will have when Chrome is released on the PS3 (if rumors are true) I believe Xbox will either provide a WEB browser of their own or push APPS in a big way. Again, Sony will have to match this. They can do this with apps or/and provide browser favorite buttons on the XMB for things like Google Earth. Widgets will, in my opinion, be coming to both consoles. With Google and Adobe providing free software to Sony, for the first time Sony might have the lead as the PS3 hardware is still more advanced and MS does will not have the advantage in at least WEB Software for consoles.

OK given cross platform Air applications that can be purchased from other sources like the Samsung store, how will Sony keep a lock on PS3 third party application sales? By providing hardware support for custom PS3 features not found in most of the third party applications designed for multiple platforms. Where will these apps that fully support (provide extended support) the PS3 hardware and Sony CE products be found, in the Sony PSN store of course. Example: The Xbox does not have HDMI CEC support but the PS3 does, support control of external Stereos with HDMI CEC commands.

Ok, how about third party casual games that are truly cross platform, provide a social networking and launch site like Home.

What’s in it for the close to 60 member companies from different industries participating in DECE/UVVU? Our shared vision is to create a much bigger pie for electronic content distribution (which today only represents a small percentage of all film/video content sold) by removing some of these artificial barriers. By creating the basic infrastructure, UltraViolet also creates opportunities for innovation in business models by everyone who wants to participate. (You don’t need to be a DECE member in order to offer UltraViolet products or services.)

And it must have started before the BBC announcement October 2008: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/10/digital_media_anywhere.html as the Sony meeting with stockholders about cloud computing occurred at nearly the same time.

Today, we are announcing that in partnership with Adobe we are building a platform-neutral download client.

Using Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR), we intend to make BBC iPlayer download functionality available on Mac, Linux and Windows for the first time later this year. Whatever platform you use, you'll now be able to download TV programmes from the BBC to watch later - on the train, in the garden, or wherever you like.

OK, if all the above is possible with Air, why port Chrome to the PS3? For WebGL games and to insure the PS3 is an indispensable feature in everyones living room.

Google and Adobe are working together and Sony is apparently on board (cloud computing, Ultraviolet, Google TV). It's a group effort and we have been assuming coincidence. Sony again is secretive and slower to implement. Samsung is first to announce Air in their products and to offer $500,000 in prizes for the best Air apps to support what they must feel is the future of CE.

Social Networking is mentioned in Adobe support groups as a way to get the younger (30's and younger) interested in Air applications and games. This I would guess is from marketing research done by Google or Adobe and Sony is following.

Sony has better control if it uses HTML5 directly as opposed to going through Adobe.

But then it wouldn't have cross platform applications/games it could sell. Remember that we believe that Sony is going to release multiple Android hardware platforms next year. Air is also optimized for limited resource platforms (takes less memory). Did you mean going to OpenGL directly as HTML5 through the browser or through Air still needs to go through a javascript engine or DOM? not sure here.

The Xbox currently does not allow WEB browser access but might allow WEB applications using Silverlight or Air. In fact, to overcome the advantage the PS3 will have when Chrome is released on the PS3 (if rumors are true) I believe Xbox will either provide a WEB browser of their own or push APPS in a big way.

http://business2press.com/2010/11/22/microsoft-silverlight-xbox-360/

Microsoft Corporation will bring its popular web platform, Silverlight, to its Xbox 360 gaming console, according to a high-level positioned person at the company who is familiar with the matter that spoke on condition of anonymity because the details were not made public.

The company is building a team of developers who could develop a Silverlight version for the Xbox 360, which could be released some time around the fourth quarter of 2011, according to the source.

Our source says the reasoning behind the move is to better strategically position the gaming console from a possibly significant threat from Google’s Android powered TV set-top-box which will include various applications, including streaming movies, e-mail, the Google Chrome web browser, among other applications developed for Android.

The Silverlight platform, which could already be used by developers to create applications for the company’s new Windows Phone 7 operating system, would bring familiar applications already found on other platforms that use Silverlight, including your regular PC browser, to the Xbox 360 platform.

As part of a broader strategy to make the gaming platform more social and integrated across different products (such as the integration of Xbox Live with Windows Phone 7), new applications will become available on the system from a new market app ecosystem, including revamped social networking applications, and very likely, an Internet browser for the system which is still not present on the latest Xbox firmware

Stretching speculation the release date of the "rumored" Silverlight is 4th quarter 2011. Sony's rumored release of Chrome on the PS3 is 2nd quarter 2011. The reasoning for the Xbox getting Silverlight to better position the game console against Google TV consoles not the PS3 is a little hard to believe. I suspect this is another weak argument that Chrome is coming and Air is now in the PS3 but won't be allowing cross platform Air or Android applications for some time yet.

A WEB Browser for the Xbox is BIG news as is the Market APP ecosystem. This then would match Sony web feature for web feature.

I also thought that the Xbox had Silverlight support as the BBC and others were streaming to the Xbox using MS's DRM.

But then it wouldn't have cross platform applications/games it could sell. Remember that we believe that Sony is going to release multiple Android hardware platforms next year. Air is also optimized for limited resource platforms (takes less memory). Did you mean going to OpenGL directly as HTML5 through the browser or through Air still needs to go through a javascript engine or DOM? not sure here.

I don't know…

SCE should be good at squeezing computing resources in a small device. They don't really need Adobe's expertise. Given a choice between direct web interfaces and an Adobe interface, I think it's more likely for Sony to pick the former or roll its own. Big corporations like to own their platform where possible.

(Still not confirmed) PS3 firmware 3.5 provides the tools (Air2.5) for Web Applications on the PS3 to display Flash 3.5 streams (DRM, Adaptive streaming, commercial block detection and Social media interaction) and PSP Firmware 6.35 may be Air 2.5 providing the same features to the PSP.

Qriocity is going to be an Ultraviolet service and Ultraviolet universal DRM requires a compliant DRM like Adobe Access to be in the PS3 or PSP. Access is a part of Air 2.5.

35 is appearing in these update version numbers. Possibly Sony programmers consider this a significant update for all Sony gaming platforms and are pointing this out to those who know about what Flash 3.5 streams require on supporting platforms. The Adobe open screen project is providing Air 2.5 free to all internet platforms and this includes TVs, Blu-ray players, Game consoles, hand held game platforms, Cell phones, tablets, PCs (Linux, Mac, Windows). This to enable Ultraviolet and cross platform applications across the entire industry.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/24/psp-firmware-update-6-35-prepares-america-for-qriocity-adds-x-r/

PSP firmware update 6.35 prepares America for Qriocity, adds x-Radar to XMB in Japan

Back in September, Sony revealed plans for a music service called "Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity." Today, the company has announced details for upcoming firmware update 6.35, which prepares the PSP for the music streaming service by adding an icon under the Music section of the XMB. So don't get all freaked out when you see it and think it's been stealth-launched or anything. On the PlayStation blog, Sony VP Eric Lempel says the new firmware is "coming soon."

In Japan, PSP users can now take advantage of some built-in mapping software without having to go through the PlayStation Store and download the app x-Radar. As part of firmware 6.35 released overseas today, Andriasang says the app's now moved to the XMB, utilizing maps and guides purchased through the PlayStation Store to provide users with different types of data. The software itself also sees an update today, which you can read about here.

http://www.intergalacticgeek.com/2010/11/qriocity-curiously-omitted-from-ps3.html

Qriocity curiously omitted from PS3

Sony's new music and movie streaming service, Qriocity (pronounced "curiosity"), has gone live in Europe. I noticed the new addition to BRAVIA Internet Video on my BDP-S570 XrossMediaBar (XMB) last weekend! But, couldn't login until today.

Earlier this year Qriocity was touted as a centrepiece for the company's PS3, and you can link your PlayStation Network (PSN) account to the subscription service. However, there's no news on when it'll appear on the home console. PSP owners can download a software update that will add Qriocity.

Sony may be waiting for all Game platforms (PS3 and PSP) to support Ultraviolet DRM before enabling Qriocity.

35 is appearing in these update version numbers. Possibly Sony programmers consider this a significant update for all Sony gaming platforms and are pointing this out to those who know about what Flash 3.5 streams require on supporting platforms.

Okay, that's officially really stretching it. If the PSP wasn't already on firmware 6.3, let's say it was on 6.4, would the programmers bump the version number to 7.35? It's a coincidence.

Okay, that's officially really stretching it. If the PSP wasn't already on firmware 6.3, let's say it was on 6.4, would the programmers bump the version number to 7.35? It's a coincidence.

One coincidence PS3's 3.5 possible but two with PSP 6.35...doubt it.

Remember they have had this mapped out for almost a year when they announced cloud computing and Ultraviolet. Tying it to the Flash stream version 3.5 which is a more stable number, announced way in advance of the Air version number is also logical. The Flash sites streaming to the PS3 are using Flash stream 3.5, at least the ones that can't use the PS3 browser.

I could go on to point out the "5" in the October official release of Air 2.5, the PS3 Firmware update 3.5, the PSP update 6.35 and the Flash stream 3.5 What are the odds in that happening by accident?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Media_Server

Version 1.0 was released on 9 July 2002
Version 1.5 was released on 27 March 2003
Version 2.0 was released on November 15, 2005[3]. .
Version 3.0 was released on December 4, 2007[4].
Version 3.5 was released on January 13, 2009.
Version 4.0 was released on September 13, 2010 and introduced full 64-bit support, more secure multiprotocol streaming, IP multicast broadcast, multicast fusion, peer-assisted networking, enhanced buffer, absolute timecode, RTMP QoS improvements, simplified player development, faster switching with RTMP Dynamic Streaming and integrated HTTP server[5].

The announcement that Qriocity is enabled with firmware 6.35 on the PSP and Ultraviolet requiring Access in the PSP is another key here. The PS3 has no such announcement we just have applications like Mubi and Hulu we know use Flash 3.5 streams which require Air 2.5 or greater.

One coincidence PS3's 3.5 possible but two with PSP 6.35...doubt it.

You mean the number "35" appearing in the version number ? It is most likely a coincidence.

It has no marketing or technical value. There is no reason to align the version numbers. One simple patch and they'd be out of alignment anyway.

EDIT: Did you complete any WebKit mini-project ? ^_^

Back