PlayStation Plus.

eloic

Veteran
Hi!

This thread is meant to discuss on PSN Plus service (features, content, etc.).

I will start the discussion by asking a question: Is it worth it?

Regards,
Eloy.

Of course! It appears you're getting a plus sign after your PSN name if you take this. I'm willing to bet that'll sell a few subscriptions all by itself!

The point being of course that it depends on what you care about. I personally think it could be worth it for me. One hour trials could be cool, and if LBP2 wasn't coming soon I'd probably even have liked LBP on my HDD.

Right now though I really just don't know yet. I think I'll just wait and see for a bit.

I buy enough stuff off PSN that the discounts might be worth it. I need to see what the next few weeks of offerings are, though.

If this PSN+ had been available from day 1 and there had been much more content in the beginning of the PS3 life cycle it would have been ano brainer for me.
Now it seems the stuff they want to "give" me is either stuff I already have or stuff I already passed on, this is based on looking at the "free" content for the first two months. And looking at all the stuff I already own of what you can buy on PSN, there is nothing more on there that I currently feel like buying.

I have to admit, that if I played LBP more than I do, ie have not fired it up since before x-mas. Just the HDD version of LPB would have been enough to rope me in with the possibility of future "free" software and discounts.

So if Sony comes out saying that you will get discounts on new releases when they are released I would sign up for that and the LBP hdd version, the automatic download and what not. But my biggest concern is that 6 months from now, they still offer me old stuff I do not want and I am paying for stuff I do not care for.

Currently there seems to be little value on + if you already own LBP and Wipeout HD, if you don't own them, it might be worth considering.
I did subscribe to one year however, just for curiosity (silly, yes), even though I already own both games, and what else there is has little interest to me. I'll see how it developes during this year and see if I'll subscribe again.

Don't know what to think of PSN+ yet.

There is no blanket policies about what kind of content I will get. The PSN+ library is also pretty thin right now. I may wait until PS Move is released, and then take a closer look.

But my biggest concern is that 6 months from now, they still offer me old stuff I do not want and I am paying for stuff I do not care for.
They'll probably give Voice chat to plus members as well by that time, which could make it worthwhile.

There was a rumor that they would allow PS+ users to initiate cross-game/in-game voice chats for up to 8 people, including non-PS+ users, but that a PS+ user had to start it off.

But no word from Sony on this yet.

There was a rumor that they would allow PS+ users to initiate cross-game/in-game voice chats for up to 8 people, including non-PS+ users, but that a PS+ user had to start it off.

But no word from Sony on this yet.

It was on a ton of Playstation sites, but the "press release" / info on those pages got edited to remove mentions of it.

I signed up for 1yr + 3mos. To me its kinda worth it because you get a qore subscription in addition to all the other stuff. the plus by your username is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems in US the + is better value. The EU Qore equivalent is only available in Britain (I think), and I'm not sure if it's included in the + subscribtion.

Penny Arcades take

918011885_nBxvB-L.jpg

Penny-Arcade pretty much sums it up from what I've heard so far. Then again, I'm not really in the loop, so I'm a bit ashamed to ask:

What's currently offered with PlayStation+?
Is there anything concrete about what will be offered in the future, like features?

If I apply to PlayStation+, will I be able to turn that damn ticker off? <-- this is the most important question. :devilish:

I might buy it, not sure. The extra three months might make it worth it for me. I bought the first year of Qore and to me that was a complete waste of money. This seems somewhat better. My PSN purchasing habits are so sporadic though most of mine are dynamic themes.

Sony hasn't done a good job communicating PSN+.

It's driven by content value so far (special discounts and freebies). e.g., 20% discount on new Fat Princess DLC appeals to me. However there's no promise that this appeal will last. I think the following GAF conversation is telling:

krae_man said:
For starters you have no way of knowing if the other 11 months content will be more to your liking as well..

Winterblink said:
This is my biggest fear. That month one, two, maybe even three's offerings are respectable. But suddenly there's a drop-off of good "free" content.

It boils down to: Sony didn't give us a way to measure their performance (How do we know they will do a good job after we pay them ?). The 1 hour game trial is nice but it's again limited to select titles per month. The freebies may be hit and miss. So basically, it's a catalog promotion service and you pay for access.

I would rather Sony say something like this:
If you're a heavy shopper on PSN, or if you're a bargain hunter... give us $50 ahead of time. We will give you (say) $60-70 worth of goods back like buying a pre-paid card in advance. That alone would accelerate spending. They don't have to spend extra manpower to negotiate for what amounts to the same thing in the end. The 1 hour trial sounds like a lot of work/cost for similar effect too (They should not promise it if this turns out to be ineffective for users and them). The other thing is some people can spend multiple $50 in one year (like buying multiple PSN+ a year).

There is another track in PSN+: exclusive services. But they reveal the package while still working on it. The upcoming Hulu Plus has no gaming benefits. Cross game chat, which many are asking for, is no show. Cloud computing was hinted earlier, but it's no where to be seen.

So for now...in my view, it's a catalog promotion service and you pay for access to the special discounts and exclusive content.

EDIT:
Penny-Arcade pretty much sums it up from what I've heard so far. Then again, I'm not really in the loop, so I'm a bit ashamed to ask:

What's currently offered with PlayStation+?
Is there anything concrete about what will be offered in the future, like features?

If I apply to PlayStation+, will I be able to turn that damn ticker off? <-- this is the most important question. :devilish:

No need to be ashamed. I can't remember the details after reading through the description like 5 times. There're too many one-off decisions. Looks like US tax codes. :p

Turning ticker off would be a key benefit for me too. Damn it, why didn't I thought of that ? :devilish:

EDIT 2:
I'm on the fence too. Currently deliberating whether to subscribe because of Fat Princess DLC.

Hmm... I forgot about developers. The 1 hour free trial may appeal to some developers because they feel that it's a way to give more exposure to their titles. Since Sony charges developers PSN bandwidth fees, the developers may also release their demoes on XBL only, or first.

With PSN+, developers and paying PS3 users will get the benefit of more demoes. This is beyond the scope of end user promotion catalog.

Because of this, I would give PSN+ members priority for other developer originated services (e.g., closed betas) too.

Hmmm... It doesn't quite convince me .

Plus (duh, no pun intended), I don't like the fact that you can only play the """"free"""" games while the subscription is active.

Oh, on a side note, a lot of people is calling this PSN Plus or PSN + instead of PlayStation Plus.

I myself used the bad term in the title and had to ask Shifty to change it. :p

I personally think that PSN + is more logical (a plus within PSN services, isn't it?).

Back