Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

After watching the Comic-Con discussion I'll be getting this game at launch. Seems it's a big production title. :D
It's very hard to decouple launch games like this and awesomeness (because of the typical lack of games during release date), so I am having a hard time deciding whether to buy the game.

If the controls are fastidious and not precise then I won't be so interested. If the controls are good then it's a day one buy for me. We shall see.

Maybe the game's plot will be similar to Berserk the animes? Mostly believable for the entirety but there is the occasional supernatural incident. Hope we face some true monstrosities like Guts did.

I just played Ryse at a product fair. You can tell that this game is a 360 port at times. The lack of global HDR is a relic of the past generation. With it, Ryse will easily pass for true next generation title.

I just played Ryse at a product fair. You can tell that this game is a 360 port at times. The lack of global HDR is a relic of the past generation. With it, Ryse will easily pass for true next generation title.
How do you distinguish when HDR is at work? I mean, HDR for me is the effect that tries to imitate the human iris being exposed to the change of tonalities in the light, so the exposure is modified.

For instance, when you look at the sky in Skyrim, it looks so bright for a moment then it slowly changes to its normal tonality. Another game with great HDR was PGR3 -if I understood correctly what HDR does and how it works in games-, at least for me.

So, they are using Andy Serkis' facility to capture facials and body movements. Enslaved and Heavenly Sword had really great acting and expressions translated into a game. Sometimes you could just look at Trip's eyes and feel what she was conveying.

If Ryse has a good story and good actors, we might see that magic again. I ain't getting that feeling yet from what they have shown. But still, no one can match Andy Serkis himself in facial expressions. Him as Monkey and the villian in HS was seriously damn impressive . You just can't forget him from Heavenly Sword ! :cool:

I suppose this is not a launch game, since so little is being shown about it. Is there any confirmation on which of Crytek's studios is working on it? Is it really the Darksiders' devs working on this one? I see hope in gameplay only if they are. I think this must be the reason Crytek acquired them at all.

And, not being cynical, but they need a better art director. With these kind of graphics, if they have a competent Art Director, they can shatter our minds with the visuals. The environments completely lack style right now. Look at the environments of Destiny. It is only the characters which look impressive due to their faces. Even in characters, a better colour pallete, instead of just a normal 'this is what humans look like' can make it stand out among the crowd. Give them characteristics on faces which we can identify. Give them a personailty we can attach to. I still can't tell any difference between the hero and others. KZ shadow Fall too suffers from the same problem.

Look at God of War Crytek, make your enviroments interesting. That tower doesn't even look important enoughto be an objective. Give ur Hero some kindof identification which stands out in the battlefield. As usual with Crytek , great visuals , lacking art ! And this is coming from a guy who has played Crysis 5 times and even praised some of the levels of Crysis 3. I am a fan Crytek, but the criticism stands.:rolleyes:

The lighting looks good in some of the recent shots but falls flat in some of the earlier PR shots, I somehow doubt CryEngine doesn't provide HDR for Ryse though.

And, not being cynical, but they need a better art director. With these kind of graphics, if they have a competent Art Director, they can shatter our minds with the visuals. The environments completely lack style right now. Look at the environments of Destiny. It is only the characters which look impressive due to their faces. Even in characters, a better colour pallete, instead of just a normal 'this is what humans look like' can make it stand out among the crowd. Give them characteristics on faces which we can identify. Give them a personailty we can attach to. I still can't tell any difference between the hero and others. KZ shadow Fall too suffers from the same problem.

Crytek is admitedly after hollywood. The way I see it, they want a game that looks like the next Gladiator. No exagerated facial features or overly-fantastical environments. Personally I would love to see that type of game, specially on the roman setting. Something like the awsome TV-serie "Rome". Though I think that this artistical aproach is an all-or-nothing one. Few games attempt a trully like-for-like realistic representation of the world, there is always some level (diminishing with every gen) of caricature and artistic exageration, and that´s because of the uncanny valley, not only for human characters, but for everything really. If you make a game today that atempts to mimic CG, you might get close, attempt to mimic reality itself, and even if you look as good as most modern CG, it will apear as a failure because it will not achieve its actual goal, and it shows, in the shape of a bland, and uncharacteristic look.
Cage from heavy rain said we were at a point we could mimic reality already on ps3. He was just wrong, and Heavy Rain proved it. Are there now with PS4-XBO? We don´t know yet. But your comments lead us to think the answer is no. At least for a launch game.

I think theres some misunderstanding here.

Hollywood has amazing art direction in a lot of movies,including Gladiator. having a good colour pallete and distinguishing characters does not mean you cannot approach realistic graphics. The movie you mention, Gladiator, does not go for realistic graphics at all and has beautiful colour palletes for different environments and has very distinct characters.

This is Gladiator:

and every shot has a distinct colour pallete. None have a realistic colour pallete. No exagerrated environments or overly exagerrated facials here. And neither did Enslaved have any overly exagerrated facials. THey were mocapped just like RYSE in the same studio. Depends on the actors and the director to get a good shot out of the actors.

You can point out the hero in a crowd, not just by clothes but by his face too.You can make out Russel Crow anywhere in any clothes. A non-generic face is required from the art team. Look at The Last of Us, realistic looking characters but with recognisable unique faces. Crytek can throw as much money as it wants but tech won't bring in the magic, a talented team will ! From what we have seen, the magic is missing in Ryse for now. Its just pretty faces, which excites me a lot but then, nothing else.

You can point out the hero in a crowd, not just by clothes but by his face too.You can make out Russel Crow anywhere in any clothes. A non-generic face is required from the art team. Look at The Last of Us, realistic looking characters but with recognisable unique faces. Crytek can throw as much money as it wants but tech won't bring in the magic, a talented team will ! From what we have seen, the magic is missing in Ryse for now. Its just pretty faces, which excites me a lot but then, nothing else.

Is it a surprise that every character in Ryse seems to be bald or wearing a helmet?

The helmets do have a lot of hair in the plume, so, I guess, the reason isn't tech limitation but just the setting here.

Whilst it's certainly correct that Roman legionnaire's wore helmets, I'm not aware that the people they fought tended to be bald. (AFAIR they are more commonly depicted as "rather hairy").

Not a huge concern either way, but maybe indicates that this game is pushing the technology to the limit.

Whilst it's certainly correct that Roman legionnaire's wore helmets, I'm not aware that the people they fought tended to be bald. (AFAIR they are more commonly depicted as "rather hairy").

Not a huge concern either way, but maybe indicates that this game is pushing the technology to the limit.

:LOL: lol at the hairy comment ! Atleast we are getting 'hair' on the heroes this gen. They are Crytek, they made Crysis 3 look fab on the ps3, they will push tech to the limit. Thats their USP.

The rather hairy bit is all Hollywood. Soldiers would keep their hair either shaved or cut close in order to not give their opponents an edge in combat. If you have long hair (a fistful or more) and your opponent doesn't then you are at a potential disadvantage in close quarters combat as your hair can be used to move you around. Loose clothing is also a disadvantage for similar reasons but not to the same extent as hair. The longer your hair the greater the potential for your opponent to use it against you.

If I'm in a real fight I have no problems with grabbing a fistful of my opponents hair (if he gets out of position and it comes into easy reach) and yanking his head down or back violently to give myself an advantage. Not pretty, not elegant, not "honorable", but in a life and death situation, I'm not going to care about those things. If you're bald, there's nothing on your head that is easily grabbed to give an advantage. Same goes for a "crew cut".

Regards,
SB

I'm sorry but this look terrible, given Cryteks history over the past few years, I'm expecting a pretty yet very dull experience.

Back