Most powerful/best rendition V2200 ever released?

bergqvistjl

Newcomer
Hi guys, does anybody know what the most powerful (i.e. most memory etc any extr bits etc.) V2200 ever released was? is it the Hercules thriller 3D?

I'd say the Thriller 3D 8MB PCI or AGP are about the best there were. The bus doesn't really matter as it is one of those chips that uses AGP as PCI essentially.

AFAIK, most Rendition V2200 cards (Hercules Thriller 3D, Jazz Multimedia Outlaw 3D, DSystems GLadiator, Genoa V-raptor, Expert Color DVT 5200, Miro Crystal VRX, QDI Vision-1 and QDI R2000/RV2000, to name a few) were clocked at the same whopping 55 Mhz, so they all were more or less the same in regards of performance; some vendors provided overclocking tabs in the driver properties though. Even the only V2100 card, the Diamond Stealth II S220, was up-clocked to that higher speed in one of the latest firmware updates (some say that they have been using V2200 chips all along; mine had a clear V2100 tag on the chip though). So the only practical difference was the amount of onboard memory and the bus interface, either PCI or AGP 1x; the Thriller was available in both 4 MB and 8 MB SGRAM, most others were fixed at either 4 MB or 8 MB (can't really remember which was which).

Curiously, D-systems, Genoa and Thriller 8 MB even had versions with VESA stereo 3d connector; not sure what would you do with that, since it relied on VESA BIOS Extensions 3.0 for page-flipped stereo, which were only available as 3rd-party UniVBE driver and only worked in DOS environment, which wasn't cool in the year 1997 when GLQuake/WinQuake were the buzz.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh i thought it could have been the hercules thriller 3d 8mb. The card i have at the mo (im building another rendition pc) is a v2200 QDI 58600 i think (the 5xxx number im not familiar with). Id love to get my hands on a hercules thriller 3d but i cant find any on ebay uk + us :cry:

I have a Thriller 3D 4MB PCI. Trust me it's not that special really. Just a reference design with no extras.

The most interesting V2200 boards I have seen are these reference designs. I found this one on ebay. It has all the fixings, but while it works ok it does do some artifacting. Note the sticker on the graphics chip; there's no other id on it.

Of course there was the weird Jazz Multimedia Bonnie & Clyde that is both AGP & PCI but I've never actually seen one of those beyond blurry images online so they don't count. :D

Not the most powerful, but the most oddball was the Jazz Multimedia Bonnie and Clyde. A card that features both a AGP and PCI connector.

I'm still looking for one actually!

ps. Swaaye, it was more then just an announced card, it's real. Here is a high res shot of it, only pic I know, and from the only owner I know too lol! :p (He had uploaded more, but links are down.)

[EOCF] Tim;1392815 said:
Not the most powerful, but the most oddball was the Jazz Multimedia Bonnie and Clyde. A card that features both a AGP and PCI connector.

I'm still looking for one actually!

ps. Swaaye, it was more then just an announced card, it's real. Here is a high res shot of it, only pic I know, and from the only owner I know too lol! :p (He had uploaded more, but links are down.)

I have seen that card personally back in Poland at one of computer fairs I was going to! It wasn't cheap ...

AFAIK, most Rendition V2200 cards (Hercules Thriller 3D, Jazz Multimedia Outlaw 3D, DSystems GLadiator, Genoa V-raptor, Expert Color DVT 5200, Miro Crystal VRX, QDI Vision-1 and QDI R2000/RV2000, to name a few) were clocked at the same whopping 55 Mhz, so they all were more or less the same in regards of performance; some vendors provided overclocking tabs in the driver properties though. Even the only V2100 card, the Diamond Stealth II S220, was up-clocked to that higher speed in one of the latest firmware updates (some say that they have been using V2200 chips all along; mine had a clear V2100 tag on the chip though). So the only practical difference was the amount of onboard memory and the bus interface, either PCI or AGP 1x; the Thriller was available in both 4 MB and 8 MB SGRAM, most others were fixed at either 4 MB or 8 MB (can't really remember which was which).

Not quite true. Take it from me, I used a Thriller 3D 4MB PCI as my primary card, and was a ravenous Rendition fan (at the time).

There were two bins of chips for the V2200: A and B grades. A-grade chips were sold to top vendors like Hercules, and were clocked at 62 MHz. B-grade chips were sold to smaller US dealers like Genoa and Jazz, and these were clocked at 55 MHz.

The A-grade chips paired with quality ram could reach speeds of 70 MHz. MY best overclock with cooling was 67 MHz :D v2x00 overclocking was fun and easy, because all you had to do was change a line in your verite.ini file.

The "clock increase" of the Stealth S220 was not a big surprise because the v2200 and v2100 were the same chips, except one had higher RAMDAC modes disabled. I'm willing to bet Rendition specced all their chips for 55 MHz minimum, and then just cut Diamond a deal if they promised to ship the chips with a castrated 40 MHz clock speed and slower ram. Later, Diamond simply changed the verite.ini values.

Here is an article from the day with excellent details:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-accelerator-review-step,51-34.html

Thanks for the details. Nice to run into old Rendition users. :D

Higher RAMDAC modes on a Verite card is rather pointless anyway IMO because every card I've used has rather poor analog signal quality. They get blurry at rather low resolutions/refresh rates.

Back