Anyone have Lasik or something like it ?

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
I'm going to have it on the 11th of Febuary. My parents were nice enough to loan (pay for it) me the money. I keep gettin eye infections and apparently had scaring on my eye because of it and I wouldn't be able to continue with contacts and glasses may not be that feasible as I'm already at -7 / -7.05 and am only 28.

So just wondering if anyone here has had it and what do you think. Would you do it again ?

I know friends who have had it and they had a very positive experience. Whatever you do, please do not skimp around and try to cut corners at least with the lasik practitioner who will operate on you. Yes it can be expensive but please for God's sake do not go to those doctor's who claim to perform 'hundreds' those procedures a day or something ridiculous like that. Best of luck with the procedure!

I'm going to a great doctor. I've had family go already (mother , sister and brother in law) He actually worked on the clinical tests for a number of forms of lasik .

Its also not cheap at 6grand. But if it stops the yearly eye infections (some times i get 2-3 a year) its well worth it for my health.

Some of my friends that had the procedure done, only one was not happy with the result. He said it screwed up his contrast detecting ability or something along those line and seeing stars. I wasn't too sure what he meant exactly. Anyway best of luck to you. I hope everything goes well.

I have two friends who did it and it went well. But I didn't do it, I am indeed too afraid that something could go wrong - there's still about 1-2% of the patients who get problems (forever!) or later complications and that number is way too high in my book.

I haven't had it done but am considering it. I got a scratched retina years ago whilst boxing and my contacts gave me probs thereafter. Now I'm on glasses mainly.

There have been a few developments recently haven't there? To make it a more comfortable experience I think. I'll look into it a post here. One of these driver guys I use had it done and he didn't have a single complaint. But I recently had a friend visit who had a friend say that after it "it feels like someones poking a 1000 needles in your eye". That's the sort of thing that puts me off... :|

Look forward to hearing your experiences!

I'm going to have it on the 11th of Febuary. My parents were nice enough to loan (pay for it) me the money. I keep gettin eye infections and apparently had scaring on my eye because of it and I wouldn't be able to continue with contacts and glasses may not be that feasible as I'm already at -7 / -7.05 and am only 28.

So just wondering if anyone here has had it and what do you think. Would you do it again ?

If you have scarring and frequent eye infections make sure your doctor takes care of those first before having the surgery or you could have bad complications.

My surgery got delayed about 4 months due to making sure all the scarring was removed (only had one scarring on my eye) and making sure it healed properly after. As well as some treatment for my Blepheritis (which probably caused the scarring).

If your doctor doesn't take care of that stuff I would question whether he's qualified to be doing laser eye surgery.

Regards,
SB

If you have scarring and frequent eye infections make sure your doctor takes care of those first before having the surgery or you could have bad complications.

My surgery got delayed about 4 months due to making sure all the scarring was removed (only had one scarring on my eye) and making sure it healed properly after. As well as some treatment for my Blepheritis (which probably caused the scarring).

If your doctor doesn't take care of that stuff I would question whether he's qualified to be doing laser eye surgery.

Regards,
SB

I have slight scaring at the edge of my eye so he is using a diffrent form of lasik than normal. My brother in law had the same problem (diffrent eye and the lower part instead of the upper part) and it turned out just fine.

I don't have Belpheritis so that may be the diffrence between us. I have extremely dry skin in the winter that causes styes which then become infected. I got pink eye from comic con nyc last year. Next time i'm just bringing purell and using it every 5 minutes.

Anyway the doctor i'm going to is Dr Hersh and its www.vision-institute.com

I will report back whats what as this goes along. I'm going the 5th for the eye mapping which is said to take up to two hours and the 11th is the actual lasik.

Also my mother went to this place 4 years ago and paid just under 4 grand for the operation and my brother in law went 3 years ago and paid 4,500 after a 10% discount (since my mother went) my sister went and paid a little over 5 grand a year ago.

This doctor is very in demand. Its not like the guys thats used to advertise on howard stern

and glasses may not be that feasible as I'm already at -7 / -7.05 and am only 28.

I have glasses and I'm at ~ -8 + 0.5 cylindrical (or how is it called). Haven't tried contacts but glasses are completely feasible. Empirically comparing their weight to my iRiver T60 shows that the glasses are lighter than the player and of course, the weight is distributed evenly.

Sure, if you haven't wore glasses before, it may be (just psychologically i guess :) )a bit uncomfortable at first.

I thought about surgery for some time, but since I'm pretty fine the way i am now and I'm stable at -8 i have no reason to go for it.

What a medical person pointed out to me a few years ago is that your eyes change all the time as you age. So it's possible to have laser surgery to fix a sight problem, and then five years from now your eyes might have changed and you may need glasses anyway.

I've had it, I'm extremely happy with the results, but don't expect to achieve completely perfect vision. I'm down to maybe .25 of a degree of myopia in one eye, if that, but I've retained the photosensitivity I had when I wore glasses and lights have a slight 'halo' around them.

And this was 7 years ago now, I can't say my vision's gotten worse either.

What a medical person pointed out to me a few years ago is that your eyes change all the time as you age. So it's possible to have laser surgery to fix a sight problem, and then five years from now your eyes might have changed and you may need glasses anyway.

Yours eyes naturaly change during your life. However someone like me at 28 getting it should expect not having problems for a good 20-30 years .

Normaly your eyes countinue to change through puberty but stop in your 20s for most people and do not continue getting worse till late middle age. Some people like my father has had the same vision since he was 19 and he is now 60.

I've wondered about doing it abroad, specifically Turkey. The surgery is like 400 euros there, whereas a great pair of glasses costs 300 euros alone here. (plus "free" lower grade backup pairs)

there's a university doing such medical tourism, with high tech equipment (better than in France apparently). But domestic surgery is midly affordable at 1200 to 1600 euros.
the thing is, I'm perfectly happy with my goggles but I would love being able to do without them in some circumstances (sports, swimming pool, drunken punks etc.)

yet I like my pair and would have trouble rendering it useless overnight :). it's like the finest, best quality piece of equipment I own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've wondered about doing it abroad, specifically Turkey. The surgery is like 400 euros there, whereas a great pair of glasses costs 300 euros alone here. (plus "free" lower grade backup pairs)

there's a university doing such medical tourism, with high tech equipment (better than in France apparently). But domestic surgery is midly affordable at 1200 to 1600 euros.
the thing is, I'm perfectly happy with my goggles but I would love being able to do without them in some circumstances (sports, swimming pool, drunken punks etc.)

yet I like my pair and would have trouble rendering it useless overnight :). it's like the finest, best quality piece of equipment I own.

Remember though that a lot of treatments often require after-care where they'll monitor you months down the line (for eye irritations, super-halo-effects etc.). That should figure in your thinking.

Remember though that a lot of treatments often require after-care where they'll monitor you months down the line (for eye irritations, super-halo-effects etc.). That should figure in your thinking.

Yup i go in the 5th to map my eye and plan the cuts and then the 11th for actual lasik and then the 12th for check up then once more two weeks after then a month and a half from surgery and then the 3 month mark and of course the 1 year mark. That is all part of the price i paid . Also included is if they under shot or over shot. I.e if my vision is not up to par or to focused on distnace where it hinders my close up sight

I had lasik done in 2004(i think) using the Wavefront technique. It's been just amazing for me. Perfect vision and no side effects. I had perfect vision the next morning when I went in for my first test and it's been that way since. Recovery was very quick. Had to use some special drops for a month or so. No big deal.

Ofcourse depending on your condition, your procedure can be more complicated with different levels of recovery and side effects. I'd say each case is different so if you're not an "ideal candidate" get impressions from a few doctors.

I had lasik done in 2004(i think) using the Wavefront technique. It's been just amazing for me. Perfect vision and no side effects. I had perfect vision the next morning when I went in for my first test and it's been that way since. Recovery was very quick. Had to use some special drops for a month or so. No big deal.

Ofcourse depending on your condition, your procedure can be more complicated with different levels of recovery and side effects. I'd say each case is different so if you're not an "ideal candidate" get impressions from a few doctors.

When we have our next Live party I want to hear more :smile:

I like my glasses. They make me look smarter than I am, and I can wear contacts to de-nerd myself.

Back