Steam, Origin, Epic, Twitch, Good*, *Games Sales [2007-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added the tag GoG to the thread. Thanks to the mod who took my suggestion into consideration, Al, Shifty, you people are great. Still the mention of GOG -Good Old Games- in the title isn't everything I thought it could be.

It says GMG, there is clearly a typo. Time waits for no one, they say, but time also can wait for it to be edited --unless I am wrong, in which case, sorry, GMG doesn't exist.

Back into Heroes of Might and Magic, I can't stop playing it whenever I can get my hands on it. It is incredible addicting.

GMG is Green Man Gaming.

It's probably a typo, as GMG tends to sell keys for services like Steam or Origin, so it's similar, but not the same as GOG.

GMG is Green Man Gaming.

It's probably a typo, as GMG tends to sell keys for services like Steam or Origin, so it's similar, but not the same as GOG.
That explains it all. So I was wrong then, after all. They changed the title, but I am still unhappy, not GoG mention anywhere, when it does actually have the best interface among those services --at least for my taste. They could add GMG if they wanted to. I managed to clandestinely add GoG to the tags, though. Still not enough. I might create a thread devoted entirely to GoG, I am thinking of it...

Ubisoft are paying tribute to the legendary Heroes of Might and Magic 3 because today it is the 15th anniversary of the game --it was released 28/02/1999.

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/univ...ils-news.aspx?c=tcm:21-129527&ct=tcm:6-231-32

They wrote some special entries in the Facebook account of the game, and they also feature an interview with the original developers of the game.

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/univ...ils-news.aspx?c=tcm:21-129528&ct=tcm:6-231-32

Fortunately, I had an answer ready. I had spent about a week playing Heroes II and found it to be a remarkably addicting and well-designed game. However, my one qualm was with the art style. I thought the artwork looked about five years behind the times, and so my focus would be on bringing the graphics up to current standards. Trip seemed satisfied with my answer, and I could only hope that my bosses at New World agreed with me.

It turns out, they did. On my first day on the job, my manager told me that the company was unhappy with its current art direction and wanted me to “secretly” find a new art director among the art staff. So, on the pretense of introducing myself to everyone, I held one-to-one conversations with each artist. They were all capable artists, but one, Phelan Sykes, used our discussion to talk about how unhappy she was with the status quo. “I have found my art director”, I told myself, and as I later discovered, she was also the most talented artist in the company.

They're playing fun with you for trying so hard to get GoG in there. So now it's Goggle :)

They're playing fun with you for trying so hard to get GoG in there. So now it's Goggle :)
Aaaaaaaah.... aaaaaaaaaah, hahahaha, they have been very "malos" then. I am goggle-eyed at that revelation. That makes sense now. Trust me that I didn't get it, nor I would get it once again -I was about to complain- if you didn't tell because I began to genuinely think the mods didn't know the amazingness of GoG.

Poor souls, not knowing about GoG can make their head hurt. And the typos occur. :smile:

Anywyas, back on Heroes of Might and Magic 3. This game is so special to me now, I couldn't be more grateful to the person who discovered it to me.

If I could only play one game for the rest of my life, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 would be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:)

Sorry, Cyan. Just playing with ya. :D
hahah, aaaaaah, that was it. How on Earth could I know? I think that moderating more than one forum, which makes you have to focus on both forums simultaneously though, was starting to make your head hurt. So I thought that trying harder could work.

If you invite to a seafood platter I won't ask for some time --too bad you live overseas, but still....

Please, please.... say yes and add GoG to the title. Make the promise, and like the song goes...: :D :D

"Well, say that you'll be true
well, say that you'll be true,
Well, say that you'll be true
and never leave me blue, Susie Q"

On a different note, I got the games people have been recommended to me so far--- I mean those which are based on Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Their advice can be always helpful.

I have less of a reason to rant now.

I had friended myself (I have two accounts) and I have just launched the other, almost never used account which has the single player games. Contrary to what was going on with the other account, when right-clicking a game that is "not mine" the context menu displayed "Request sharing" or such, rather than "Purchase"!
So I did, received a mail and followed the link and instantly my games were unlocked. I can now play my own games :LOL:

Quick test with Counterstrike, all the settings followed through (binds on the F keys included) but some reason the server favourites are empty (not that there were many.. and I suspect them of disappearing randomly anyway so I'll have to see if I can back them up with a script like I used to do in the HL1/WON days.)

At last I clicked that "remember password" box again.

A minor gripe is fixed (linux) : no need to have a "Steam" symbolic link in my home directory (pointing to the real directory in separate hard drive), I found out there are symbolic links in the ~/.steam directory that Steam itself must have created.

So, recursive operations can now be done in my home directory without traversing (accidentally or by design) the link and working on the whole Steam directory rather than just my user files (desktop, settings etc. just like C:\Documents and Settings\username\ in Windows)

A person named Maurice who knows a LOT about Heroes of Might and Magic has given me some VERY valuable tips for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 in the thread I created about this wonderful game.

This guy is amazing and his piece of advice will be always very present to me, I'll always bear it in my mind.

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=40005&pagenumber=2

"In the vanilla game, yes. In the expansion Armageddon's Blade as well as Shadow of Death, the campaigns will be longer by a map or two extra. But in the vanilla game, not every campaign will carry over Heroes; some campaigns will carry over an artifact instead.

One word of advice with regards to the Trees of Knowledge: since they give you a full level when you visit them, it's best to visit them as late as possible. The longer you wait, the higher level your Heroes will be, the bigger the absolute experience yield from the Tree.

The thing I always do on any given map is to figure out the level cap for that map (if it's not stated in the mission briefing, then I try to find it on the internet or something) and the amount of Trees of Knowledge that can be found. Then I will boost my Heroes through normal experience gain up until the level from where they can reach the level cap by visiting the Knowledge Trees. After my main Hero is maxed out, I let secondary Hero(es) take front line duty to collect experience, until they too are maxed out.

A word of advice with regards to secondary Heroes: it's common to have your main Hero see most of the important battles, with secondary Heroes mainly collecting resources, ferrying troops around and picking off stragglers and the odd neutral stack they can handle. As such, their skill specialty is usually not as important when it comes down to combat. That makes it very useful to hire the Resource producing Heroes as secondary Heroes; each turn, they generate resources for you, which is very useful especially early game or when a certain type of resource is either lacking on a map, or in high demand. For instance, both Stronghold and Rampart make excessive use of Crystals; having a secondary Hero who produces +1 Crystal each turn may then be very useful.

The game has four rare resource producing Heroes:

- Sephinroth (Dungeon, +1 Crystal per turn)
- Rissa (Tower, +1 Mercury per turn)
- Calid (Inferno, +1 Sulfur per turn)
- Saurug (Stronghold, +1 Gems per turn)

Besides that, the game has a number of Heroes who produce +350 Gold per turn. There's one Hero in particular who can bring in a lot of gold, namely Lord Haart. He is the only Hero who has a specialty in Estates, which gives +5% to his Estates skill, per level. Normally, Expert Estates yields +500 Gold per turn, but at level 20, Lord Haart produces +1000 Gold per turn, effectively a Gold Mine
smile.gif

Of course, a +350 Gold producer with Expert Estates yields +850 Gold per turn total, so at lower levels, those Heroes are better
."

I also wrote some tips for newbies there. They can be valuable too.

The heroes community granted me a star for my thread on Heroes of Might and Magic.

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=40005&pagenumber=1

I am truly grateful because I genuinely tried when I wrote it, although I didn't know they award you with a star sometimes.

Additionally, there are two incredible threads, very smartly written, on Heroes of Might and Magic which help to understand why the series is so great.

I even shared my suggestions for Heroes of Might and Magic VII in the first thread.

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=39873&pagenumber=1

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=34293&pagenumber=1

I cannot even begin to describe what I feel watching this video, gotta admit it makes me feel so awestruck that I am at a loss for words. :cry:

The video shows the unique graphics and art style of Heroes of Might and Magic 2 running on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 --via The Succession Wars mod-.

Heroes 2 has some of the best songs ever created in a videogame...

The Succession Wars mod homepage can be found here:

http://heroes3mod.webs.com/

Every time I check this thread lately I feel like I'm walking into someone's bedroom at an entirely inappropriate moment...

yeah i appreciate Cyan's enthusiasm but I keep thinking, surely there is a Might n Magic thread already..? otoh it's the only thread i follow on b3d which is currently active... so actually it's kind of adorable to see him gush over an ancient game... ^^

Rockstar weekend still going on on Steam. I got the GTA Complete Package which is all the GTA games between GTA3 and GTA4 plus the GTA4 Liberty City expansion. For ten dollars.

GTA4 requires GFWL which is fine by me but some people don't like that I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back