Removal of custom B3D forum skins

OK, I've enabled the first pass at a new default skin. It's got a colour chooser (default is red, that'll change to the blue as soon as I'm sick of NV-lovers whinging that I love ATI) if your browser supports JS, and it reuses some of the art assets from the previous B3D theme, so some of the colours might clash here and there.

Feedback for just now should be rendering bugs first and the aesthetic bits you don't like second. It'll change over time as Vysez and I refine it, but I hope you all like it for the time being.

The light-on-dark will come in a couple of days, fingers crossed.

I'm eagery awaiting when the navigation tree links are at the bottom again as well as at the top, I keep having to remember to scroll back to the top to go back along the tree, miss being able to do it once I reached the bottom of the page.

Regards,
SB

Too much grey and teal (and gold), not enough blue. Logo too small, GPU too big, but like the idea. Diagonal stripes in quotes are missing. It's interesting that with nV and ATI styles available the default blue style can be interpreted as Matrox now :D

Too much grey and teal (and gold), not enough blue. Logo too small, GPU too big, but like the idea. Diagonal stripes in quotes are missing. It's interesting that with nV and ATI styles available the default blue style can be interpreted as Matrox now :D

You must hate Intel with a passion.;)

I will decide on that when they make a graphics card ;)

Anyway I noticed the theme is still changing, but just want to add I also don't like the stealth links.
They're quite tricky to get right, since the link style doesn't just affect the links inside a post. Working on it though.

Some icons are too big IMO:

forum_new.gif

On the main page, some fonts seems "narrow". The same with the post time and date fonts. They need to be a little bit bolder IMO.

A perfect "copy" of the old skin would be great, but I suppose that's just not possible... yet. :)

I'm eagery awaiting when the navigation tree links are at the bottom again as well as at the top, I keep having to remember to scroll back to the top to go back along the tree, miss being able to do it once I reached the bottom of the page.

Regards,
SB

+1

This is a feature I would *really* like to get back...
And having a blue/blue skin would be nice, though not that important...

I've just added the navigation links to the bottom of the page too, underneath the Quick Reply box. I'll work on the fonts and other bugs this afternoon if I've got some time.

The edit, quote and the "+" buttons need to get "fatter" and bolder as well IMO, and use the same font as the post reply button. :)

I've just added the navigation links to the bottom of the page too, underneath the Quick Reply box. I'll work on the fonts and other bugs this afternoon if I've got some time.

I still don't see them :???:

Duly noted and added to my list of things to restore.

Thanks for that Rys, are there plans to put the navigation links in the default skin or something similar to the old skin I used to use on B3D? The new skin here is a bit large and low contrast for my taste. I have a hard time differentiating some stuff.

IE - embedded links and threads with new posts I have a hard time seeing. I know that there's a small icon that denotes new posts in a thread, but I'm used to having a high contrast to denote a thread with new posts, making it easier for me to find at a quick glance.

Also, didn't the navigation links at the bottom used to be above quick reply? Or maybe it's just that the quick reply box is bigger than what I was used to...

BTW - don't take any of this in a negative way. :) Still love the site and good to see progress is being made on the new skin... Just that the old skin I was using before (and to some extent the new default) was much easier on my old/tired eyes.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I think you're right with regards to the positioning of the navigation links being above the QR box. I'll play about with that too. As for the lack of contrast in some areas, that's been pointed out by more than a few folks in private, so I'll be paying good attention to that. As for the large icons, I might create a variant where they're smaller.

All good stuff, keep the insights coming. I'll have some time to properly do some work on it this coming weekend, when my broadband is hopefully connected. Not up for suffering uploading images and things when all I've got is ~5KB/sec upload and T-Mobile do transparent image compression anyway, ruining them.

Back