Halo: Reach

so many books, i don't know if i could spare that much time to read all of them.

maybe just the essential ones.

when is the next showing of reach if i may ask?
I would suggest that you read fall of reach and first strike and since halo reach may or may not feature sIII, then i suggest you also read ghost of onyx.

Halo already has a sort of a cover system - the more time you spend with an AI seeing you, the more accurate its aim becomes. If you break the line of sight (hide) then it re-sets. Also, the AI remembers the last position it has seen you in, so popping out on the other side of the cover will give you a short and small advantage.

The "cover" system that most 3rd person shooters employ is a fun thing, but I prefer Halo's approach that encourages frequent movement and more dynamic battles. Also, the controls are complicated enough already with all the various weapons, equipment and other stuff, no need to introduce more gameplay dynamics.

Halo already has a sort of a cover system - the more time you spend with an AI seeing you, the more accurate its aim becomes. If you break the line of sight (hide) then it re-sets. Also, the AI remembers the last position it has seen you in, so popping out on the other side of the cover will give you a short and small advantage.

The "cover" system that most 3rd person shooters employ is a fun thing, but I prefer Halo's approach that encourages frequent movement and more dynamic battles. Also, the controls are complicated enough already with all the various weapons, equipment and other stuff, no need to introduce more gameplay dynamics.
Exactly.

Bungie Weekly Update

The Halo: Reach trailer was produced directly in our new game engine using real game assets. Because the game is still in the midst of development, which means things like framerate are still in flux, we do something called a “frame dump” that lets us spit out the content, frame by frame, and then compile it back as the video you all saw on Saturday. We can actually run this same cinematic right now, within the latest game build, but it’s not always at the consistent smooth framerate of the final game (yet).

This trailer absolutely represents our visual bar for the final game and is near identical to what you’ll see next Fall. The single biggest difference between this trailer and the final game will be the extra generous amount of anti-aliasing (the smoothing of “jaggies” or edges of pixles) present in what you’re watching right now but rest assured that Reach will be significantly improved in this department compared to Halo 3. (The extreme “AA” in the trailer was due to the “frame dump” mentioned above.)

Suffice it to say we’re really excited about the technological and artistic advancements we’re making with Reach and you’ll see more from the campaign in just a few weeks.

Yay!

Its good to see they explained how it was made and how representative of the final game it will be. So basically it benefits from supersampling due to the frame dump (just like rending Halo 3 picture mode into a video frame by frame I assume), but the actual texture assets will probably be the same along with lighting. I really cant wait to see what the game looks like in real time.

I'm wondering if the game is going to follow the events of the Fall of Reach book, rather than just the battle of Reach. As the battle of reach lasted all of 1-2 (ground combat) hours from the description in the book. And the spartans were on the ground for less than an hour before the Pillar of Autumn had to jump out.

Just finished reading it. Not bad...

Too bad, MC in the games doesn't come across nearly as badass as the MC in the book. :D

Regards,
SB

I told you that Bungie is just too proud to ignore criticism when they have the resources to do something about it ;)

Yay!

Its good to see they explained how it was made and how representative of the final game it will be. So basically it benefits from supersampling due to the frame dump (just like rending Halo 3 picture mode into a video frame by frame I assume), but the actual texture assets will probably be the same along with lighting. I really cant wait to see what the game looks like in real time.

Good they explained it but I was expecting it to be a bit more. This just means its a "target render" and they hope/promise it will look like that and run like that. This is the cutscene we are talking about even, not the actual game and they are not able to run it in realtime satisfactorily? Its disappointing because now we have to wonder what in-game will look like when u have other things to process.

Are these halo books of any good quality? Any in ebook format?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good to hear Bungie's promises and their targeted goal at this point but it's still somewhat of a let down knowing it's just a batch rendered cutscene. Let's hope it maintains the 720p resolution as shown in the trailer.

This just means its a "target render" and they hope/promise it will look like that and run like that.

No.

They never promised AA like what we've seen in the actual trailer; however everything else is going to look like this. I'd say they're far enough to be sure about it at this point.

A target render would be the 2005 E3 trailers for KZ2 and Motorstorm, although I still think those were not originally meant to be "targets" either.

I don't mean it strictly, I mean its what they hope the cutscene would look like with a steady enough framerate that users wouldn't complain. Also I doubt that this is the most processing intensive cutscene in the whole games which brings about more concerns. How low was the framerate that they had to use a frame dump? What about other scenes that take more resources than this very tame scene?

If you notice the wording he did not say it will look like this, besides the aa the sentence allows for other things to fall short. He said
The single biggest difference between this trailer and the final game
, of course its what stands out the most; it makes everything look a lot cleaner.

If you had any idea about game development and alpha code and debug tools then you probably would also understand why they don't have a stable framerate at this point.

And AA only affects image quality, but the content, the models, textures, shading, lighting and shadows and scale and all the other impressive stuff about this trailer - well that'll be the same. IQ is a secondary thing (obviously just until a reasonable level).

Props to Bungie for being forthcoming about this stuff. It's what we should expect from all developers(edit: perhaps "hope for" would be far better), but enough ignore it that it's worth pointing out.

Unfortunately, it was obviously a bad decision going by responses both here and on NeoGAF. Sad to say that... Well, that's why a significant fraction of developers don't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't please NeoGAF unless you're a 20-year old hardcore Japanese game.

You can't please B3D unless you're a PS3 exclusive.

Therefore, Reach is doomed on both fronts.

I'm glad to hear they're doing something on the AA front (and so should Silent Buddha:D). I'm really starting to warm up to the apparent change to a darker, grittier style and theme. It's a perfect opportunity to deviate a bit from the previous formula.

I just hope they don't stray too far from what made Halo resonate so well with gamers.

Back