AMD: R9xx Speculation

Kaotik said:
But what's the reasoning behind such move?
Do they know nVidia is doing the same? I mean, why else would the break it when they could make a card which would wipe the floor with 5970 within 300W barrier anyway?
Why cripple the performance of a card due to a number in a spec no customer cares about?

It's not about wiping the floor with a 5970. It's about remaining competitive with the other guys.

If you really want less than 300W, you're free to underclock it.

It strikes as a move that they were worried about nvidia breaking the limit and they didn't want to limit their card artificially against it.

I'm all for providing the consumers with choices regardless of which IHV/ISV offers it.

But what's the reasoning behind such move?
Do they know nVidia is doing the same? I mean, why else would the break it when they could make a card which would wipe the floor with 5970 within 300W barrier anyway?
Dave B... Or they have finally figured out that this kinda card is supposed to be like this, over the top. Bet is was fun to design and then redesign this card. And why a 300w barrier anyways?

It has 2x8pin power, I think breaking the 300W limit is a given.
They could have 3x8pins for all I care, if card can use 6+8 pin cables and doesnt go over 300W* at default settings its not breaking the spec, whats so hard to understand? :rolleyes: IMO 2x8pin is for the OC potential only. Granted I may be wrong and AMD with Nvidia are going wild, but AMD wants to have big name OEM on the board, and they wouldnt ship cards beyond specs at stock settings.

* Its not uncommon for cards to use more than 300W at Furmark, etc., but officially and in "general gameplay" they are within spec, same will be with 6990.

They could have 3x8pins for all I care, if card can use 6+8 pin cables and doesnt go over 300W* at default settings its not breaking the spec, whats so hard to understand? :rolleyes: IMO 2x8pin is for the OC potential only. Granted I may be wrong and AMD with Nvidia are going wild, but AMD wants to have big name OEM on the board, and they wouldnt ship cards beyond specs at stock settings.
This is not a battle for mean and lean graphics cards ,or OEM support , this is a battle for the performance crown , if AMD crippled the card to conserve power consumption they will not compete with GTX 590 , and the crown will be lost.

They designed the card to exceed the 300w limits to achieve high RAM/GPU clocks ,and hence more performance .. because that is what actually matters in the end for the enthusiast user , not some PCI-E specs mumbo jumbo .

This is not a battle for mean and lean graphics cards ,or OEM support , this is a battle for the performance crown , if AMD crippled the card to conserve power consumption they will not compete with GTX 590 , and the crown will be lost.

They designed the card to exceed the 300w limits to achieve high RAM/GPU clocks ,and hence more performance .. because that is what actually matters in the end for the enthusiast user , not some PCI-E specs mumbo jumbo .
You make AMD look like enthusiast nerd overclocker :LOL: Its a corporation, primarily driven by profits and marketshare, and OEMs are a big part of it. Its not like they dont want performance crown, but they wont be breaking spec because of it, while providing easy OC potential through 2x8pin and drivers for the enthusiasts. Specs might not matter to you, but it matters a lot for the big fishes.

You make AMD look like enthusiast nerd overclocker :LOL: Its a corporation, primarily driven by profits and marketshare, and OEMs are a big part of it. Its not like they dont want performance crown, but they wont be breaking spec because of it, while providing easy OC potential through 2x8pin and drivers for the enthusiasts. Specs might not matter to you, but it matters a lot for the big fishes.

The big fishes either sell single cards in CF/SLI, or the rigs that they sell with this puppy will have overclocked Intel CPUs anyway- which breaks spec too.

The markup is so high that they can afford to do that anyway.

Would you like any appetizers, while we are preparing the crow. :smile:
Seems specs didn't matter that much to them after all.

Back