Games & input lag.

I haven't played KZ2 but the difference in the input lag between it and Halo 3 was only 66 ms? Wow, I'm guessing a hardcore Halo player wouldn't even notice that if he played KZ2.

I've received my PS3 latency controller board. Over and above the obvious first party titles, does any one have any interesting experiments for me to try out, bearing in mind I have this, the 360 version plus a wireless receiver for PC...

Hm... I dunno... some recent FW updates made the PS3 BD Remote (the official one) lag HORRIBLY in certain contexts (like bringing up the OSD while playing video), but not in others (controlling the XMB). But that won't work with your board, as the remote has no USB port.

I've received my PS3 latency controller board. Over and above the obvious first party titles, does any one have any interesting experiments for me to try out, bearing in mind I have this, the 360 version plus a wireless receiver for PC...

Are you able to test the lag of the PSEye?

Do the console ver of SF4 imply V lock ?
If yes then shouldn't it add atleast a frame of lag more ? [16.66ms = 1 frame]

Can you measure the latency of COD 6 for both the Xbox 360 and PS3? Also perhaps as a more subjective test would it make sense to also try them online to see how online latency might be effected by network/console. There are a lot of claims out there that PSN has more lag or Xbox Live has more lag, to that effect anyway.

Can you measure the latency of COD 6 for both the Xbox 360 and PS3? Also perhaps as a more subjective test would it make sense to also try them online to see how online latency might be effected by network/console. There are a lot of claims out there that PSN has more lag or Xbox Live has more lag, to that effect anyway.

Well the network latency is totally ir-relevant of Live/PSN..COD games are basically nothing but P2P networking so it all bogs down to the connection & location of the guy who is chosen as the host.

As for the input lag, I think its fair to assume it being the same as previous two ie. anything between 66ms to 100ms [depending on framerate]

Are you able to test the lag of the PSEye?

In the same way as I tested Natal, ie, waving my arm around in front of it, yes. But who is to say if this is in any way indicative of Arc performance? I might well do it mind you - if only to have that info in my pocket when I see Arc next month.

input latency in online games isnt really something you can measure since modern netcode doesnt bound movement and action by latency instead perform updates and checks periodically.

Mod edit: Removed OT trollage.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are there any PlayStation Eye games that:

a) give a decent video feed (SingStar I know...)
b) track human movement in a clear, unambiguous manner?

Yesterday I tested the lag with Super Street Fighter IV on both version.

Here my result 7MB 1080P60 can be edited via virtualdub for those who want to see the exact frame:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3T9XGZTS

Stream version via youtube:

SSFIV on PS3 actually have 2 frames of lag over the 360 version in contrary to SRK blog(very obvious there's more than 1 frame of difference). I used the same HDMI cable swapped on the console only & both ran at 720P on the display which also haven't been turned off during the process.

I used the TE stick on both version to display the inputs.

Maybe we could get a "Lag analysis thread"!!!??

Good idea. I'm actually surprised that there is a 2-3 frame delay on SSFIV PS3; I thought it was merely 1 all the time. It's still the EVO standard due to easier stick swapping.

Namco did a better job with the 360 conversion of T6 it seems.

since there isnt a input lag post Im going to ask here, are these a problem with the software or hardware?

Well I cant read Japanese, but from the videos SS4 looks slower on PS3, while Tekken 6 looks the same on both. So that suggests it's not a technical issue. Of course the situation with SS4 was already known.

Unless it's something to do with Cell's increased parallelism causing more lag in the programming in some titles.

Well I cant read Japanese, but from the videos SS4 looks slower on PS3, while Tekken 6 looks the same on both. So that suggests it's not a technical issue. Of course the situation with SS4 was already known.

Unless it's something to do with Cell's increased parallelism causing more lag in the programming in some titles.

T6 does have the odd 1 frame delay according to the vid. We know that Dimps had a hard time porting SFIV initially since it ran on PC based Taito hardware. I'm surprised the issue wasn't addressed completely with SSFIV, though the dynamic resolution was (it's full 720p now even in closeups).

T6 on the other hand ran on System 357 (PS3 based), and seems that Namco's team did a better job porting it to the 360. But we know that porting from PS3 to 360 isn't as problematic as 360 or PC to PS3.

Back